Who's The Greatest Drummer Of All Time?

Gene C

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Community Admin

Man! John Bonham, Keith Moon and Dave Ghrohl are my favorites as well, but Neil Peart is the man.

That is my list, too. Bonham and Moon. At the top.

Sounds like a list of the MOST POPULAR drummers (as opposed the best, most talented, most influencial, etc).
What about Art Blakey, Buddy Miles and Max Roach of the jazz era?
They created styles and influenced generations of drummers that followed.

More of my favorites percussion "artists" that didn't make your list:
Joey Baron 
Carter Beauford
Hal Blaine 
Terry Bozzio  
Bill Bruford
Danny Carey
Jack DeJohnette 
Vince Ditrich
Mick Fleetwood
Steve Gadd
Evelyn Glennie 
Benny Greb
Omar Hakim 
Levon Helm 
Thomas Lang
Jojo Mayer
Buddy Miles
Marco Minnemann
Jeff Porcaro
Pip Pyle
Lars Ulrich 
Ruth Underwood 
Chad Wackerman 
Dave Weckl
Tatsuya Yoshida 
Tony WIlliams 

• Community Admin
HEADS UP.   Best not to use your smart phone to vote...,

My fat fingers did the Ringo vote..., Oops, didn't mean to do that.

Looks like I need to install the Android Fat Finger's keyboard...

20140502055728705.png 

Neil Peart's willingness and ability to constantly reinvent himself, to strive to constantly learn more even after receiving numerous accolades amazes me.  And his drive for perfection (successful!) and to be beat perfect entertains my left brain immensely. 
Along with being one of the most respectful, humble people I have ever seen.  Brilliant, thoughtful songwriter......

Honorable mention: Buddy Rich.
  • Thank You 1

• Community Admin
If you are, or feel like you are, older than dirt (like I feel) you might remember this on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.  The early-production vintage TV-constrained pyrotechnics come in about 1:45 in the video.

(swinging the vote!) 

• Community Admin
More recent - Neil Peart, June 9, 2011, Letterman, "Drum Solo Weak"  ...still got it.  Solo starts at about 03:00 into the video.

• Thank You 1

Peart, at the Buddy Rich Tribute Concert.

And 'Der Trommler' from R30, in Rio.

So beat perfect you must remind youself this is not a computer.  Then you hear the improv, the subtle little trills and you think, there's no way this is computer generated.......

• Community Admin
Honorable mention: Buddy Rich.

Agreed. Buddy had that "brat-pack" good-time's guy feel to his style. Loved it when he and Johnny Carson hammed it up on the Tonight Show.  Ed Schaughnessy to Buddy was like Ed McMahon to Johnny.

• Community Admin
Gosh, this thread is a lot of fun !

Thanks Gene! 

Watched more cool YouTube videos this morning than probably the last entire month! 

I know nothing about drumming.  My ability to keep a beat is similar to Steve Martin finding his rhythm at the begining of the Jerk.

I would consider the most popular drummer to be Peart.  I've always like Peart, seems like a decent guy in addition to a good drummer.  Hey, he's got a lot of drums so he must be good ;)

BUT, (and not intended to stir things up)
I drink coffee a few mornings a week with a friend who has been a drummer his whole life.  He is approx 60 and been playing since he was young.  He is in a few bands locally (and has been most of his adult life) and rather knowledgeable on music in a whole.

He says Peart is not considered that good inside the drumming community.  Said there is a love / hate among drummers with Peart with more against.

Paul 

Jealousy.

Experienced drummer of multiple influences. Successful 40 year songwriter. Humble to a fault.

I wouldn't say even that popular as Rush really has not been that popular over their tenure.

And it was far before their most recent surge that Peart was acknowledged, and retired as a nominee in Modern Drummer magazine's nominations for drummer of the year.
Listed here as #3 all time behind Buddy Rich and Bonham

I sure can't complain about that list.  Most of my faves are on it and I could not really rank them in any particular order.  Some of those drummers were probably not as good as we think they are but they became legends and died young.  There are some truly great young drummers coming up too.  If I honestly had to pick a number one it would be Ringo.  Not the fastest, but a solid beat and some of the most innovative material of all time.  I really like Neil Peart but I am partial to the rock drummers who he listened to, including Bonham, Baker and Moon.  I had four different drummers in my bands.  Some could keep time, others not, some were very fast, others not so much.  Coming up with a truly inventive lick?  Now that is worth something!  Jim