From the Admin [old version]

Hello all! I hope you're enjoying the Carversite! and all it has to offer. 

The current Administrators are:

wrf - Lead Administrator

Nahash5150 - Tech Staff

AndrewJohn - Community Administrator

The current Moderators are:

Compwaco - Chief Global Moderator

Sk1bum - Moderator

An Administrator's job is to protect the community. Admins also assign medals/badges, approve new arrivals, organize the boards, moderate threads, assign roles, maintain the database, enforce the rules, and manage complaints. They also present ideas to the leadership for possible implementation. The Lead Administrator sets the agenda and the rules and manages all the Member Groups. The Community Administrator keeps the information organized, performs regular tasks, and manages the Moderators.

Moderators keep the boards safe and fun. Moderators are not here to stifle free-speech, arm-twist or intimidate participants. They ensure that threads are kept organized and remain on-topic, and as active participants themselves, preserve the spirit of the community. Moderators, like the Admins, are here for you so that you feel welcome to share and participate without the worry of being harassed or flamed for it.

If you have just signed up, then you are Inbound rank. You have limited access and you can't upload files yet. In order to advance to basic membership, you need over 6 positive reputation points. Reactions, such as 'thank you' to your content increase your positive reputation.

There are three basic member Roles:

Novice

Resident

A Novice is new to the forum. They have limited access but can participate in the most popular forums such as Way Offscale and The Chain. In order to advance to Member, we expect a certain amount of activity to evaluate their willingness to be a part of the community. The post count required to advance to Member is 100. (If you are currently a Member and don't have 100 posts, you will not be 'demoted').

A Member is considered an active participant. They have nearly full access to the site and its resources, and can progress in rank and earn medals by sharing their experiences in the audio world with the Site. As time goes on, a Member can eventually become a Resident or play a role as part of the Administration.

A Resident is a highly active member who calls this place home and acts as a council member with the Administration. Residents are participants who are willing to take on the challenge of discussing site policies and provide the site with valuable resources - such as funds, time and talents. Greatly concerned for the site's well-being, Residents work hard to welcome new 'inbounds', encourage participation by starting topics of interest - and offer Karmas, skills and knowledge to all who visit.

There is a special Member Role:

Carver repair/mod Team

Carver repair/mod Team - Chosen only by the Administrator, these members are trusted with their skill to work on audio gear. They actively take work and offer a variety of services. They are also essential to the site's 'helpful hand' in assisting those who need help with their troubled gear. Carver Repair Team members are also Residents by default.

There are two consequential Roles:

Retired

Sandbox

A Retired Member is a participant who has either shown a disinterest in the community but has not violated the rules, or one who has 'moved on' and no longer wishes to be an active member. This is not a disdained Role, but a Role for members who for one reason or another, do not wish to be part of the community's growth (for example). Retirement is a friendly, mutual agreement between the administration and the member. Retired members have limited access.

When a participant is Sandboxed, they have violated the forums rules. A warning is always issued before a participant is Sandboxed. If the warning is ignored, and participant continues to break rules or cause trouble - an Administrator, with the consent of the Moderators, will curtail their activity for an indefinite amount of time. Removal of the Sandbox status can only be done by the Site Owner or Administrator.

This forum has a lot of options for you to find information, participate, and organize how you read and keep up with activity. Remember that you can do the following:

- Follow a Topic (so that if anyone posts to it, you are notified)

- Follow a Member (so that you are notified of Status Updates and more)

- Post a Status Update (a personal message for your friends that is public access)

- Send Private messages

- View Activity according to date, member, or topic (check 'Activity' in the top menu)

- Post pictures and even create a gallery (Novice or above rank)

- Share links, videos and files

- Browse technical Manuals, white papers and spec sheets

And so much more!

Our goal is to maintain a site that is welcoming, helpful, courteous and fun. With audio and Carver as our common ground, we wish to stay focused on the music, and all the creativity that results.

Have a great day!

Hashy 
  • Thank You 35
  • That Rocks 1

Hashy,

Thanks for taking the time to completely explain the new classifications, who is who, and how things are now determined.  Great job! 

• Community Admin
Hashy,

Thanks for taking the time to completely explain the new classifications, who is who, and how things are now determined.  Great job! 

Ditto, Hashy. What Ben said.

After hanging around for a while, this preempted a lot of Q's I had.

Nice structure, and protocol. 

A Member is considered an active participant. They have nearly full access to the site and its resources, and can progress in rank and earn medals by sharing their experiences in the audio world with the Site. As time goes on, a Member can eventually become a Resident or play a role as part of the Administration.

so what stuff can I NOT see?

I know this has been brought up before....

so if I dont post a bunch of drivel. reading more than I post (log ins) my rating goes down?

this is how I take it.....

we have been down this road before......

so what stuff can I NOT see?I know this has been brought up before....so if I dont post a bunch of drivel. reading more than I post (log ins) my rating goes down?this is how I take it.....we have been down this road before......

What you don't see is discussion between the Residents on anything that has to do with the up keep, policy discussion, ect of the site...

What you didn't notice is nothing has changed. All the threads you have ever read or commented on are all still there. There are no ratings.. the Irku has been gone for a while now, your either here or your not. It looks like your still here...

This is a new road we are heading down that does not hinder any members or membership here. I'm sure you have noticed lately that everything has been cordial on both sites. We are all playing nicely together for the most part, so in spite of what has happened in the past things have taken a turn for the better. Lets be happy with it. emwink.gif
  • Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Post counts are fun and I like them.

Sometimes a guy with 10 posts is more up to speed on a given topic than one with a million.

Having many posts does not make one smarter or his post more relevant, just means he posts more (which is needed and desired on a forum).

I hope in time to be up there where I can read all.

I actually am kinda dumb, but don't hang that label on every guy with few posts.

• Thank You 2

Post count is relevant for going from Inbound to novice to member. Sometimes people expect a certain number of posts for Karma, but that's not a policy.

Post counts are fun and I like them.

Sometimes a guy with 10 posts is more up to speed on a given topic than one with a million.

Having many posts does not make one smarter or his post more relevant, just means he posts more (which is needed and desired on a forum).

I hope in time to be up there where I can read all.

I actually am kinda dumb, but don't hang that label on every guy with few posts.

Actually, as this seems to be the more tech oriented site, I felt (and still feel) waaaay out of my league a lot of the time.
I can learn tons of info here by just reading.
On top of that, often while some are getting to know people, I personally will stand still and observe, attempting to find out where I fit in before I barge through the China Shop. 
Unfortunately, both of these things tend to keep post counts low.  So the first year for me was tough.  You find your strengths.  25 years of being pretty particular in a certain specific area, you have insight.  You have ideas.  You know what works.
But hell, I can give anyone shit now.  Cuz they know who I am and what I am getting at.
That in itself, is what makes this great.

Another thanks for the info.
I too lurk around here to laugh and learn. I post what I am involved in, but. Unfortunately, most of my life's involvement doesn't involve audio equipment. Yet...eusa_whistle.gif 

• 1 year later...

So I have to ask as I wasn't paying attention when I created my account, will my login get purged if I do no posting for 30 days, or just go into a dormant pile? I have on more than one occasion been without internet access for 30 days at a time. Once you hit member does this not become an issue? Other than that concern, I am finally done lurking and member'd up. I have been enjoying the forums for quite some time. I missed the animus mentioned, your sandbox sounds like a good solution.

• 6 months later...

Yes thank you for your learning method of getting to be productive person within the structure of the Bob Carver carry the word of high end audio .I'll do the best that I can thank you for getting involved to become a more creative individual.

• Thank You 1

• 4 months later...

This looks like something that should be in the Guidelines tab or similar, at the top, where it can be kept easily available for new folks, and those of us with really short memories.  It just seems prone to getting lost or buried in a thread.  :-k  9_9

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the explanations of the member levels and introductions of admins and moderator. Looks like a very organized group here and happy to join in. I will definitely be seeking people that are willing to work on my equipment for me so thanks for the tech intros also. 

Edited by Rob
  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Providing information about the site is a very good idea. It gives everyone a chance to get acquainted more quickly and to know who to contact. Thanks! I am a newbie to this site but not to Bob Caver. I have a multi-page use and operation manual received from Bob for a product I did not see listed that may be of interest to other members. Looking forward to sharing stories and swapping information about Bob's many bold designs. Many have already proved to be important to the history and advancement of Audio.

• Thank You 2

Hello straylight, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

While it's not a requirement, a good place to start is by making an introductory post in The Welcome Shop. Once you've advanced to Novice, consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

If you have a pdf file of your manual, it will be a welcome addition to the Manuals area. @dennismiller55 is in charge of that.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2

• The topic was featured
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the ^ explanations . Joined in 2017 with very few posts so I see, for a fact, one does not get booted for laying low. I don't know, it seems that common courtesy and being helpful when I can has kept me from ever being kicked or sandboxed (love that term) from any site...I am glad that is called for here right up front. Bought a M-1.5t last week and see I have a lot of reading to do. The M-400t you guys helped me with long ago is still running nice. Thanks all for that.

• That Rocks 1

• 4 months later...

Do you think minimum post count lead to useless comments?

Being new here and reading through threads, I have seen areas where I might have something useful to add but many of those threads are several years old.

2 minutes ago, bfg4wd said:

Do you think minimum post count lead to useless comments?

Probably, but most members have the self discipline to police themselves.

Just try to keep it on topic, and then the comment isn't useless.