New guy from Michigan..

Hi folks,

Just thought I would drop in and introduce myself.  I'm Chris - I go by Escher on pretty much every forum since eons ago...

I've been a carver fan for a long time, ever since I saw a nice carver separates setup at an acquaintance's home back in the early 90's.  Had an HTR880 that I bought new when I was newly married.. but nothing since.

I'm hoping to change that  here soon... Planning on purchasing two TFM-25's and a C1 pre from a local collector friend..

If that deal goes through, as I think it will, I plan to do full refurbs on everything and the BillD mods on the C1 after reading about them here at the site.

Thanks for the great site, and I'm sure I'll be poking around asking questions before too long. 

Welcome Escher, 
You can't go wrong with TFM-25's and a C1.  Although not true mag-field amps, the 25's are very sweet sounding amps with a good deal of punch.  I once had a HTR-880 and I thought it was cheaply built (after Bob Carver left Carver Corp) in comparison to the TFM-25.  I own five TFM-25's and I love them all.  Still, any 25's you find will likely be due for a recap, which will run you about $65 in parts (full recap). 

Thanks for the welcome guys! 

You know I thought I should probably put that in as well (The speakers...)..
Its a set of Magnepan MGII's I just got done overhauling.  All new Voice Coils and re-glued mylar to the supports.  Amazing sounding for being just about as old as I am.  

The fun part about this is, with the Carver gear, I will have refurbed just about every piece in the chain.  I'll get a proper signature built here soon - but I have a bunch of sources - Technics SL1200 MKII that I refurbed from a sorry state, an original Technics SL-1200 first model.  An Integra DVD I'm using as my primary source for digital... and a PS3 handling the 5.1 duties for blu-ray.   I'm using a Behringer DEQ 2496 for room tuning on two channel...

Planning to setup an amp switch so I can run the Carver stack as a dedicated two channel, or switch into HT mode with my Pioneer Elite AVR when needed.   

One thing I should add...

I'm considering bi-amping the MGII's down the road... possibly using a DCX2496 as an active crossover.. hence the two TFM25's..

As to the TFM's - my buddy tells me that one is in full functional condition.  The second one needs a meter and a lamp.

I know they will need a recap, which I'm looking forward to actually... :) 

Welcome aboard, Escher. This is an excellent gathering place for audio nuts, but be warned... It can get expensive:-)

Just holler with any questions!

• Community Admin
Welcome Escher. That's a nice rig - would love to hear those speakers.

Oh, yes, don't forget OCCD is genetic..., and you are exhibiting all the symptoms..., Like you, I had carver in the 80s, never left, just keep collecting and refurbishing..., more.

OCCD = Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder. 

Welcome Chris-I also have my HT set up with 5/1 HT but put the last channel in a dedicated 2 channel mode with my M1.0t an a separate set of speakers. No switch needed-Harmony one takes care of everything.

• Thank You 1

One thing I should add...

I'm considering bi-amping the MGII's down the road... possibly using a DCX2496 as an active crossover.. hence the two TFM25's..

As to the TFM's - my buddy tells me that one is in full functional condition.  The second one needs a meter and a lamp.

I know they will need a recap, which I'm looking forward to actually... :) 

Here's a link to a parts list for a TFM-25 recap and -2 Service Bulletin upgrade:

Welcome, sir!  From another Michigander.

I started with my first piece of Carver gear about 1990,  not knowing at the time it would turn out to be this.

I also integrate my HT with my best pair of critical listening fronts:   a 390t changer through a C-11 into M-500t  pushing a recapped pair of old DCM flat panels.  I love the SH circuit, it's perfect for the soundfield produced by my TF-600s.

You're gunna like it here.  There is soooo much......

Welcome Escher to the site.  You opted for the perfect pre amp (c-1).  Down the road I would suggest getting the BillD mod done to it when you can afford it, really makes a sweet improvement. 14.gif

I too am a Michigander, born and raised.  I've visited most of the states and find traveling in the USA to be a great experience but I always love coming back to Michigan.  I sold MG-IIs new at The Sound Room during the 1970s.  Those look vintage.  I also have a collection of guitars.  Your two "Les Paul" Gibsons look great.  Having been a DJ for more than 35 years I became very fond of Carver pro amps.  I sold Bob Carver products beginning with Phase Linear, then Carver and finally Sunfire at a store that had outlets in GR and Kalamazoo, Stereo Showcase.  Carver products lend themselves to collecting, using and upgrading and yield high performance and reliability.  Your plans sound interesting.  Keep us in the loop.  Jim20140513222251158.jpg

Question for you guys...

There is also an M1.0t local to me for $350/best... which would you say is a better match for my Magnepans?  The TFM or the M1.0?  I dont need tons of power as I dont play them very loud... but I know high current amps get along better with them.