Led Zepplin: The Song Remains Pretty Similar

dcl

The May 19-25 , 2014 edition of Bloomberg Businessweek has a feature article on Led Zepplin asking,"What if the foundation [songs] of the band's immortality has been lifted from another song...?" The six page spread will have the reader asking what is fair, what is just? Get a newsstand copy or check your local library. 
DSC_90091_zps5683d3a5.jpg 
DSC_90141_zps75082f95.jpg 
DSC_90171_zps82b05566.jpg 
DSC_90221_zps03790da9.jpg 
  • Thank You 1

Funny you should post this, I was reading an article only yesterday on how they're being sued for 'stealing' the intro to Stairway - http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/may/19/led-zeppelin-accused-stealing-stairway-to-heaven-opening

If you listen to the Spirit song, which predates Stairway, it sure does sound quite similar jaw_dropper.gif

All this just leaves me dazed and confused emcrook.gif

dazed and confused

I don't think there are many Led Zeppelin songs that aren't basic blues based riffs with plenty of borrowing being done.  Jim

I don't think using a 'blues based riff' would be grounds for plagiarism, but stealing someone else's composition certainly is. 
I'm sure it will be settled out of court, as with most of the other claims...

So......I'm not a huge Zeppelin fan.  If I hear 'Stairway' again, three lives from now, well, you know....

Who was the band's lyricist that claimed all these songs?  I'm sure there were liner credits..........

Like a lot of rock bands, there are snatches of both music and lyrics taken from old black musicians from long ago in nearly every Led Zeppelin tune.  We had a DJ who worked in town at the rock station and every Sunday night he played nothing but the blues.  When people called in and asked him to play a Led Zeppelin, Clapton, Hendrix or Stevie Ray cover he would refuse and play the original instead.  Kind of refreshing actually.  12 bar blues is the most common musical form in the world and much of what I like to play is based on it.  Any good guitar player can sit down and play several hundred "different" songs all with the same three or four chords.  Just make up your own words.  Jim

To me, ALL "rap" songs made over the past 25 years sound the same.  Are they exempt from plagarism laws.  happy0009.gif

They are either too dumb to realize, or one hit wonders who are long gone.

To me, ALL "rap" songs made over the past 25 years sound the same.  Are they exempt from plagarism laws.  happy0009.gif

They are either too dumb to realize, or one hit wonders who are long gone.

I'm going to throw weight behind the former rather than the later.  But that's not to say the later is not true also.eusa_dance.gif