Zoom

Best of Jalopnik. A daily pause for all you carfreaks out there.

Posted (edited)

"johnrotten"

Last year I showed up late to the fantasy football draft because I stopped for gas on the way there. I took pictures to prove it

GTO3.jpg

That's weird, I wonder why he forgot his Monza Exhaust tips?

Mine looks like this:

735244269_70Rear2.thumb.JPG.923b7d622eb4a53fc03e1f2c33f28396.JPG

IMG_0006.thumb.JPG.3c911ce0e185f05b451eede06e727da0.JPG

I quite like the way the Monza tips look...

Turbo

913898372_70Rear.thumb.jpg.030fd459681880da37879ed57ecab722.jpg

image.png

Edited by Turbo
Removed tag info
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, johnrotten said:

Split post

Edited by Turbo

2 hours ago, johnrotten said:

I replaced the valence panel and put on the tips when I got headers.

IMAG0435.jpg

Oh okay.  That makes sense now. 

I bought mine back in 81 from the original owner for $500 and only bought it because it was an original Ram Air car.  When I asked him why he didn't get the Judge version for the Ram Air.  His reply was, "It added too much weight."  I never even heard of a Ram Air car that wasn't a Judge.  I found out there were only approximately 200 70 GTO's that were originally Ram Air without the Judge package.   So I restored mine back to original.

Turbo

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

Oh, and the 242 VIN's Goats that are PHS documented Ram Air cars are worth a fortune now.  Best investment I've ever made in my life with out a doubt.  I'm afraid to drive it and it has been in my third car garage stored the last 4 years.  I never drive it now.

Kind of sad actually.  There's nothing quite like hammering a 600 horse big block with a 4 speed and posi.  It is a real adrenaline rush trying to keep it on the road on those tiny very slick street tires.  It feels like I'm driving on ice at all times, really.

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

My first car was a 72 Lemans, 350 orange block/350 turbo tranny. Then I got a winter beater 70 that had a 350 blue block/2 speed powerglide. The accumulation of parts allowed me to build the orange one I still have. It started out as a 250 straight 6. There was an amazing amount of options on those cars. When swapping motor mounts you can see that the there is multiple different mounting points in the cross member for the different engines. I worked on that with my dad so it's pretty special to me.

As far as the guy from the gas station goes, good call on the tips. He did have the hood tack and the wing, which I would love to have. Convertible would be cool for a short while but I wouldn't want to maintain.

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 2

This is my toy; 2012 ZX14R with DynoJet Power Commander, Takai racing coils, Yoshimura race pipe, reflashed ECU, etc.  232 RWHP on pump gas, 307 RWHP with NOS, Top speed 207MPH with revised gearing; will pull 9.2 in the quarter mile....

VP.04.16.08.jpg

NOS.01.jpg

• That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 3

Posted (edited)

I absolutely love the BMW ZF 10HP transmissions.  Totally seamless shifting and lightning fast in Sport+ mode.  Don't really like how Sport+ holds the shifts for what seems like forever, once you let off, and never upshift into 10th until switched back into Comfort or Normal modes.  The BMW boys set their tranny's up for full race mode and it shows in Sport+.  But I was stunned with how fabulous those ZF Auto's really are.  There's just no going back after driving the Beemers with the ZF 10HP's and the Merc's with their 9G 9-Speeds.  Just awesome responding and smooth as silk auto gear boxes.  I give the edge to the Beemer though as my Mercedes seems slightly lazy to down shift by comparison.

Oh, and fortunately the Mopar boys have caught on to how fantastic the ZF 8HP and 10HP's are too.  Just lookup what transmission went with the 840 Horse Dodge Demon.  I bet you guessed, I already know what transmission they were sold with!  And yes it has 8 forward speeds...

Edited by Turbo
Typo
  • That Rocks 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RichP714 said:

Finally

I'll have to claim naivety, here, Rich - I just checked, and I don't have enough feet for that many pedals.  Perhaps, for organists?

In other words, I'm curious what the setup is and how it works, or are we celebrating the auspicious date?

Edited by Brian_at_HHH
More info added.

33 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

I'll have to claim naivety, here, Rich - I just checked, and I don't have enough feet for that many pedals.  Perhaps, for organists?

In other words, I'm curious what the setup is and how it works, or are we celebrating the auspicious date?

Brian,

It's April fools Day.  I responded before I looked closer at it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RichP714 said:

Finally

clutch

If you buy that, you've just got to have that new fandangled Muffler Bearing along with the newest, greatest thing on Earth.  Blinker Fluid!

59 minutes ago, Turbo said:

It's April fools Day.  I responded before I looked closer at it.

You have no idea how relieved I am that I don't need to grow a couple of extra feet to keep driving.  ? 

That's what I get for reading posts on April 1st with only a couple of hour's sleep.  ?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Turbo said:

Oh, and fortunately the Mopar boys have caught on to how fantastic the ZF 8HP and 10HP's are too.  Just lookup what transmission went with the 840 Horse Dodge Demon.  I bet you guessed, I already know what transmission they were sold with!  And yes it has 8 forward speeds...

Abslutely.  The 8HP is behind most Hemis these days including the Ram truck.  You can hear third gear just barely holding onto the asphalt during a hard Hellcat launch.    It’s also used in many Bentley models including the Conti Super Sport.  

Car and Driver says it puts the new 10 speed from Ford/GM to shame.  My brother owns multiple franchises of each and he drives nothing but Chevrolet.  I told him he needs to drive a ‘19 Ram for a while.  

Theres a Jalopnik thread on why it’s so good I’ll see if I can find it.  

Edit:

Nope.  Car and Driver. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23367341/automatic-transmission-best-zf-eight-speed/

Edited by Zoom
  • Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

34 minutes ago, Zoom said:

Abslutely.  The 8HP is behind most Hemis these days including the Ram truck.  You can hear third gear just barely holding onto the asphalt during a hard Hellcat launch.    It’s also used in many Bentley models including the Conti Super Sport.  

Car and Driver says it puts the new 10 speed from Ford/GM to shame.  My brother owns multiple franchises of each and he drives nothing but Chevrolet.  I told him he needs to drive a ‘19 Ram for a while.  

Theres a Jalopnik thread on why it’s so good I’ll see if I can find it.  

Edit:

Nope.  Car and Driver. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23367341/automatic-transmission-best-zf-eight-speed/

Yup, that ZF 8HP is so good it eliminated both the Manual trans as well as the DCT 7-Speed option in the 2018 F90 BMW M5.  And they finally added X-Drive to it as well.  With 617 HP and AWD the Gen6 F90 M5 hits 60MPH in 2.8 seconds 1 full second faster than the Gen5 F10 M5 which was only available in RWD.

15 minutes ago, Turbo said:

Yup, that ZF 8HP is so good it eliminated both the Manual trans as well as the DCT 7-Speed option in the 2018 F90 BMW M5.  And they finally added X-Drive to it as well.  With 617 HP and AWD the Gen6 F90 M5 hits 60MPH in 2.8 seconds 1 full second faster than the Gen5 F10 M5 which was only available in RWD.

Maybe a little clarification.  

The new M (and the E-AMG) is quicker because of the awd.(Too bad the CTS-V is not, and therefore still a half second back). In full out race situations the DCT is a better tool.  But it cannot beat the smoothness and accuracy of the ZF during every other situation.  And because the ZF is so good, the trade off in performance isn’t worth putting a clunky erratic DCT in a $140,000 performance sedan.  A DCT will always be more efficient because it doesnt use a fluid damper (torque converter) in between the torque producer (engine) and the torque multiplier (trans).  But because it looses that light ‘cushion’ it can feel more clunky on and off the throttle especially.  

1 minute ago, Zoom said:

And because the ZF is so good, the trade off in performance isn’t worth putting a clunky erratic DCT in a $140,000 performance sedan. 

Agreed and that's been a very common complaint about the DCT's and I've driven several of them and they're great at speed on the highway.  But slow down in stop and go traffic and I'd swear they were broken with how clunky they are at the start and at slow 20-40MPH speeds.  You can really feel the automated manual gear engagement at slow speeds almost like when I purposely side step the clutch in 2nd or 3rd gears in my 70 GTO 4-Speed.  Not quite that dramatic, but you get the point.

These newest torque converter auto's give up very little on the highway to the DCT's in terms of shift performance/speed but are smooth as silk around town too(If in Comfort mode) and are programmed to start off on 2nd gear in comfort mode as well to stop the neck snapping launches from a stop.  About the only advantage the DCT has now is efficiency.  The torque converter auto's draw some power from the crank to operate the pump, planetary gears, center support, bands, and clutches.  But they're getting shockingly good.

And they are never clunky/erratic at slow speeds regardless of mode selected.

• Thank You 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, RichP714 said:

Finally

clutch

I can see it, this is for the driver with Two Left Feet.  Paddle shifters, (reconfigured), and a hand-brake and you are good.

(get to about 0:28 below)

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Haha 2

Stickers

19 hours ago, Turbo said:

Agreed and that's been a very common complaint about the DCT's and I've driven several of them and they're great at speed on the highway.  But slow down in stop and go traffic and I'd swear they were broken with how clunky they are at the start and at slow 20-40MPH speeds.  You can really feel the automated manual gear engagement at slow speeds almost like when I purposely side step the clutch in 2nd or 3rd gears in my 70 GTO 4-Speed.  Not quite that dramatic, but you get the point.

I was slightly concerned about the stop-and-go city driving shifts when I first got my TT.  My brother has an M4, and he was worried about it also.  He lives in new york, works in Manhattan and has a lead foot.

For him, shifts are jerky regardless of drive mode in the city; regular mode always wants to upshift, so when you juice it from a stop it gets ready to run up the gears, pre-loading the higher gear into the DCT, but at low RPM and low load it is all ready to upshift and the driver wants to downshift, so there's a delay and some chop.  Sport + mode (which practically turns the throttle pedal into an on-off switch) aggressively holds each gear as long as it can, and there's a bit of jerkiness when it downshifts (even though it rev matches pretty well).

I live in Nebraska; even City driving here is nothing like Manhattan.  I haven't had the issues my brother has had; i can force it to misbehave, but it's otherwise very smooth (although I've heard that the best DCT is Porsche's pdk).

There's always paddle shifting in city if you don't like the TCU algorithm, and APR has TCU remaps available also.

Amazing engineering on display with the zf trans (although my car has a transverse mounted engine, so it can't have one).  Being able to hold 770 lb ft of torque WITH a torque converter is fantastic

• Thank You 2

Stickers

On 4/2/2019 at 6:33 PM, RichP714 said:

Amazing engineering on display with the zf trans (although my car has a transverse mounted engine, so it can't have one).  Being able to hold 770 lb ft of torque WITH a torque converter is fantastic

Iirc the Hellcats are actually an 8hp90 which is engineered to 900 lb ft tq. As well as the fact Chrysler engineering added a ‘trans brake’ to the software (which engages the forward and reverse clutches at the same time to hold the driveline, combined with a factory ‘two step’ intentional misfire to increase intake boost pressure at launch) to get more accurate launches in a timed drag race situation. 

Imagine the stress on that trans with a Demon on the two step holding the trans brake.  

Chrysler engineering tested the Demon driveline to 2500 consecutive launches before it would certify the driveline warranty. 

Eeeyikes.

• That Rocks 1

6 minutes ago, Zoom said:

Iirc the Hellcats are actually an 8hp90 which is engineered to 900 lb ft tq. As well as the fact Chrysler engineering added a ‘trans brake’ to the software (which engages the forward and reverse clutches at the same time to hold the driveline, combined with a factory ‘two step’ intentional misfire to increase intake boost pressure at launch) to get more accurate launches in a timed drag race situation. 

Imagine the stress on that trans with a Demon on the two step holding the trans brake.  

Chrysler engineering tested the Demon driveline to 2500 consecutive launches before it would certify the driveline warranty. 

Eeeyikes.

That is correct.  The Demon has the 8HP90 series trans and many have been modified to well over 1,000 HP now and are taking upwards of 1,200 lb/ft through them.  What amazes me about them is just how smooth they are through the gears.  I simply can't feel the shifts at all when cruising easy around town. 

I need to watch the tach to see the revs drop to believe it has shifted,  it really is that smooth.  It gets more aggressive in Sport+ mode of course and the shifts get crisp at full throttle.  But normally when zipping around town you just don't feel any shifts at all.  And that N63-B4401 engine is very quiet except at full throttle when an electric valve opens up in the mufflers for straight through exhaust.  You can feel the switch activate under the throttle when you mat it and that opens the valve.  Then it gets very racy indeed at 7 grand through the gears.

• That Rocks 2

19 hours ago, Turbo said:

I need to watch the tach to see the revs drop to believe it has shifted,  it really is that smooth. 

Have you ever driven a Maserati Ghibli?  It has the ZF 8 speed, but evidently they managed to screw it up on the Ghibli

• Haha 1

Stickers

26 minutes ago, RichP714 said:

Have you ever driven a Maserati Ghibli?  It has the ZF 8 speed, but evidently they managed to screw it up on the Ghibli

No, but I can believe it could be made to shift rough if the altered the programming.  The 5 Series Beemer's though are very smooth with the implementation of their shift algorithm's.  I used to prefer a firmer shift and setup my 68 GTO's Turbo 400 with much firmer shifts by rebuilding it and adding a B&M Trans Kit into it back in the 80's.  It would squeal the tires in both shifts, at full throttle, after I modded it.  I like them smoother now though.

• Thank You 1