Zoom

Best of Jalopnik. A daily pause for all you carfreaks out there.

Further proof that it’s not all about HP... there are many systems involved - suspension, transmission, tires, and of course the driver. Much like audio, it’s about synergy.

Per Road & Track, the 2020 Corvette Stingray delivered an incredible 0-60 time of 2.8 seconds (!) – which is a full 1.1 seconds faster than the C7 Stingray, according to the magazine’s tests. The transmission also clicks through through two gears in the process, at 30 and 55 mph, compared to the C7 which took first gear all the way to 51 mph. To further put things into perspective, the 490 horsepower C8 Corvette Stingray is quicker to 60 than the 650 horsepower C7 Corvette Z06

• Thank You 1

40 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

Further proof that it’s not all about HP... there are many systems involved - suspension, transmission, tires, and of course the driver. Much like audio, it’s about synergy.

Per Road & Track, the 2020 Corvette Stingray delivered an incredible 0-60 time of 2.8 seconds (!) – which is a full 1.1 seconds faster than the C7 Stingray, according to the magazine’s tests. The transmission also clicks through through two gears in the process, at 30 and 55 mph, compared to the C7 which took first gear all the way to 51 mph. To further put things into perspective, the 490 horsepower C8 Corvette Stingray is quicker to 60 than the 650 horsepower C7 Corvette Z06

THe C8 isn't out yet, but my point was that one may own a car capable of 2.8 seconds to 60MPH, but look around and you'll see the drivers not wanting to spend that much on the gas required to get there (and they drive it like a prius), whereas I can do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and get 27 MPG in a tuned 2 liter turbo (not during the acceleration, but overall).

It seems that even though the mid-engined vette has taken decades to deliver, it still has understeer problems.  Remember when chevy promised that the C7 was 'track ready'? that didn't pan out either.

Edited by RichP714

Stickers

More head scratching to me, is the vaunted top speed statistics. 186mph? That’s cute... where are you going to approach anything close to that, without putting not only yourself at risk of physical/legal peril, but innocent others as well. 

I had a neighbor in MT that had a highly tuned Z06.  He and several friends would pool their funds a couple times a year and rent various tracks in the northwest for the weekend, a couple times a year. 

As for me, I’m strictly a truck guy now.  I still find car stats mildly interesting, and like seeing the design and technology progression, but any more it’s not how fast I can go, but rather how much I can haul for myself or my friends/family. I’m Mr. “I have a friend that has a truck”, and always happy to help someone out. That, and my body cringes at the thought of trying to fold itself into most of these new sports cars, lol. I suppose I could still do a Ford Lightning some day....

3 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

More head scratching to me, is the vaunted top speed statistics. 186mph? That’s cute... where are you going to approach anything close to that, without putting not only yourself at risk of physical/legal peril, but innocent others as well. 

I had a neighbor in MT that had a highly tuned Z06.  He and several friends would pool their funds a couple times a year and rent various tracks in the northwest for the weekend, a couple times a year. 

As for me, I’m strictly a truck guy now.  I still find car stats mildly interesting, and like seeing the design and technology progression, but any more it’s not how fast I can go, but rather how much I can haul for myself or my friends/family. I’m Mr. “I have a friend that has a truck”, and always happy to help someone out. That, and my body cringes at the thought of trying to fold itself into most of these new sports cars, lol. I suppose I could still do a Ford Lightning some day....

That was pretty much exactly Jason's point in the video.

oal, my brother is a big truck guy.  although he recently bought a BMW M-4, until then he was of the opinion that every 'man' has to own a truck.  Never mind the extra mass (and $$) they have to spend hauling that truck around when the cargo bed is empty.  His opinion was that, should the shit hit the fan, he'd be able to offroad it out of Long Island.  Good luck with that, as the first few dozen asshats that get stuck trying to do so will ruin the day for everyone else.

Stickers

Agreed - the jacked-up, 20” wide tire, diesel stack poking through a hole(s) cut in the bed leave me perplexed. They are the first trucks to get stuck or slide off the road. 

Other than a LineX bed liner and a modest stereo, my truck is bone stock. Quality tires and attentive driving keep me on the road and out of trouble. 

As for milage, I’m 17ish around town. Better on the highway, from the 6.0 gas engine. It’s worth every penny in gas to be comfortable behind the wheel, have the ability to haul/tow whatever I want, and be able to drive in any weather conditions.  My busiest winter, I pulled nine cars/trucks back onto the road (and yes, one was a jacked-up balloon tire clad behemoth, lol). 

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

This thread got me thinking about my truck (and the bone stock comment), and I realized that at 130k miles, I’m probably due for new spark plugs...?

any recommendations from all of you out there that know far more than I do on brand of plugs? Should I do wires too?

5 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

This thread got me thinking about my truck (and the bone stock comment), and I realized that at 130k miles, I’m probably due for new spark plugs...?

any recommendations from all of you out there that know far more than I do on brand of plugs? Should I do wires too?

I've always just followed the manufacturer's recommendation on plug changes..., I think that is 50k intervals, and stuck to stock plugs. I've not done plug wires.

Probably more important, and I have a little experience on this one..., is that after 100K, injectors are at end-of-life.  100k of carbon build-up, or bad fuel fill-ups, take their toll.  The "symptoms" of missing are similar between plugs going bad and injectors.  Makes no difference if your injectors are DGI (Direct Gas Injection - injecting into the cylinders), or standard type, injecting into the intake ports, behind the valves.  Although, the latter are easier to keep running clean with fuel conditioner.  I suspect your truck has traditional behind the valve types.  Those let the fuel conditioners "rinse" the carbon build-up off the back of the valves, while the former are affected more by ignition, carbon and heat directly from the combustion chamber.

I'm at 220K on my F150, and I put fuel conditioner in every tank full of gas now, to prevent injectors from fowling..., which btw, is a HUGE expense to replace all 8 in a v8.  I like the Techroline conditioner, but have also used GumOut high mileage injector cleaner and fuel conditioner.  Also tried some AmsOil.  I don't think it matters, as long as you are running some kind of softener/solvent to reduce the carbon and sludge build-up on your injectors.

A bad injector is going to misfire and drain power just like a bad spark plug..., but a lot more expensive to fix.

... hope that's helpful, not your original question, but related to the potential symptoms that can be experienced on high-mileage vehicles.  I'm looking at about $2500 to clean carbon (plus the cost of some injector replacement, another potential 6x$200) from my Audi with FSI (DGI) injectors is at 145K miles and I didn't do this fuel conditioner early enough..., Hoping I can soften enough of it to save on that expense with a few tank-fulls of conditioned gas.  Cylinder 6 is still not firing..., Ugh.

If not helpful, no worries, it's free advice, and worthless if not applicable.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Thanks Andrew - I do use fuel conditioners about every 4th tank of fuel, and have since about 10k miles. I also have the “milestone” maintenance done (36k, 60k, 100k, etc...), and I’ve always done my own oil changes (Mobil synthetic).  I figured the plugs would have been done at one of the milestone intervals, but it’s not indicted on my paperwork, so pretty sure they didn’t do them....

• Thank You 1