Gene C

Hawaii man makes son walk 1 mile home from school

I remember walking 1.5 miles home from school and that was normal on some days when I had detention. happy0009.gif

Are we really raising woosie kids?

LIHUE, Hawaii –  A judge sentenced a Hawaii man to one year of probation and a $200 fine for making his son walk a mile home from school as a form of discipline. Robert Demond of Kilauea said he picked up his son from school and asked about a matter that had been brought to his attention. When the son didn't respond, Demond made him walk home to think about his actions.The age of the boy is unclear. Demond's attorney and a prosecutor didn't immediately respond to a request seeking comment from The Associated Press. Demond was also ordered to attend a parenting class after being convicted of endangering the welfare of a minor, a misdemeanor. Demond pleaded no contest and said he would handle the situation differently now after the case went through two courts. Demond told Watanabe in court on Wednesday that he didn't think the punishment was morally wrong or criminal. He said it was a common form of punishment when he was growing up. Watanabe said times are different today, given child predators and traffic. Demond's attorney Margaret Hanson argued Demond had no criminal history and isn't a risk to the community. Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Gary Nelson said the punishment was inappropriate but Demond did it to teach his son a lesson, not out of anger.

Phuk me! I grew up on NATO radar bases. 2+ miles uphill every day to school. What's a bus, Daddy? In nasty weather close to the arctic tree line.

(home WAS downhill by the way, Grandpa was a freakin' liar)

Boo-frickety-hoo!

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg 

Stickers

I guess I would be sitting in jail till I die from old age then, there comes a time to fight back

I walked far more than a mile one way to school when I was young, hell I ran the mile sometimes, grew up in a tough neighborhood 

To be fair, 1.5 miles in Hawaii could include tropical jungles, treacherous fields of jagged igneous rock, 2000' deep in the Pacific Ocean, and/or active volcanoes...

Any of which are probably safer than walking in traffic! yikes.gif 

The prosecuter and judge shoulde be made to walk 1.5 miles just for being STUPID. I'm mean, really we accept this moronic justice?

These guys should be chased out of town for overstepping thier authority..

Geeze and people complain about kids being overweight, should have just said it was part of his cardio work out.

My brother and I walked seven miles after missing the bus, We did stupid stuff all the way. It would have been ten but mom got worried and came looking! LOL

Apparently I'd be sitting in jail as well because I see no problem with this.

This is just another confirmation of the reason why we are in the predicament this current society is in.
How pathetic (unless this kid is 6), here is a parent metering out appropriate discipline and he's the bad guy.

Here's a little more info.  KHON story

The kid was eight.  Don't know how busy the "highway" was.  The predator issue is valid, because the kid got in a car driven by a "passerby" and was taken back to the school.

When I was a kid in the burbs, there was no bus if you lived less than half a mile from the school--that was St. Louis.

In kindergarten and first grade, in Waukegan (more tract housing) I think walked a mile, even in significant snow, and sometimes came home for lunch.  But being that young, it might have just seemed that long.  I do remember clearly on day w/ a lot of snow on the ground and a lot more coming down, I was walking to school and a neighbor from across the street offered me a ride.  I didn't get in because I didn't know her well enough.  She thought I was nuts, because the weather was really bad.
  • Thank You 1

My Dad caught me at the same age riding my bike on a busy street. Stopped and made me walk it home (about 2 miles) all the while behind me with his flashers on and a belt ready for me when we got home. I did not do that ever again. This is another example of the Gov. making decisions for the parents and showing the child how they can not be disciplined by that parent. Then later on the same Gov. points their finger at the parents if something goes wrong and the child does something really bad or dangerous??!!

Common sense, community, and church are all missing now days!

• Thank You 1

I guess it depends on where you live. I live in in a big and busy city and there's no way I'd make an eight year old get out of the car and walk home. The really crazy thing about this story is the little boy WAS picked up by a stranger in another car by the side of the road. Luckily it was a good citizen. I think that's why the judge did all of this. Growing up I was taught never to get into a stranger's car. Was this boy taught the same?

I heard about this on the radio the other day and thought it a bit odd.
On the surface, the sentence doled out to the father seems ridiculous.  The father was trying to perform his fatherly duties.

Lihue is on the island of Kauai.
Kauai's population is about 69,000 
The population of Lihue is about 6,500 (2010 stats)
There are 4 numbered highways running in/out/through the city.

The school is near the airport, which does raise the predator concern. 
But how busy could the highway possibly be? 

I never had to walk but I always wanted to but mom was too much of a control freak to allow it

But now imagine if the kid joins the ARMY... But Drill Sgt if you make me walk/march/run you will go to jail just like my dad

The world has become a strange place to fathom.

Are our kids any less safe than they were 30 years ago or is it just that modern media with their 24/7 focus on all that's wrong with the world has us think that way?

Have we become hyper-sensitive to the point of being overly protective as a result of the media spotlight and its influence on social issues; or is it some other shift in our perception outside of media influence? Or has the world really changed and forced a need for this adjustment and shift in attitude? In other words, is it real or is it perceived?

How are us old-timers supposed to keep abreast of the new norm, as it unfolds before us? We've had our available vocabulary contracted to the point where we no longer feel safe in addressing certain issues without fear of fumbling when it comes to selecting the latest 'politically correct' nomenclature, and now we have the fear of legal recourse for the way in which we choose to raise our kids - ways which were considered acceptable and unremarkable just a few short years ago.

Where's it gonna end? emcrook.gif
  • Thank You 1

The world has become a strange place to fathom.

Are our kids any less safe than they were 30 years ago or is it just that modern media with their 24/7 focus on all that's wrong with the world has us think that way?

Have we become hyper-sensitive to the point of being overly protective as a result of the media spotlight and its influence on social issues; or is it some other shift in our perception outside of media influence? Or has the world really changed and forced a need for this adjustment and shift in attitude? In other words, is it real or is it perceived?

How are us old-timers supposed to keep abreast of the new norm, as it unfolds before us? We've had our available vocabulary contracted to the point where we no longer feel safe in addressing certain issues without fear of fumbling when it comes to selecting the latest 'politically correct' nomenclature, and now we have the fear of legal recourse for the way in which we choose to raise our kids - ways which were considered acceptable and unremarkable just a few short years ago.

Where's it gonna end? emcrook.gif

I..........ah, yeh.  Yep.

Where?  In addition, with whom?
I have a judge in my district that constantly abuses his power, and has been suspended by the JTC for overstepping his bounds.  Yet the populace just keeps voting him in.  I have started to lose faith in the people.  The ability of the people to decide for themselves without overwhelming amounts of influence has completely disappeared.  

The ability of the people to decide for themselves without overwhelming amounts of influence has completely disappeared.

Exactly right, in the vast majority of cases. 

Unfortunately that's the way it has been designed/intended. We're merely playing out the passive roles given to us by the authorities (whomever they happen to be at any given time), acting as best we can whilst in a perpetual state of fear and uncertainty.

Public awareness and public involvement with the 'process' of governing and determining the correct 'path' for us all has diminished by around 35% in the last 3 decades. 

Four legs good, two legs bad..

emdgust.gif

My Pa would have whipped me for not answering his question and then whipped me again for getting into a strangers car.  I think that he would have been right to do it both times.  (at least thats what i'm going to say in case my Pa is reading this.....eusa_shifty.gif)

I only had three blocks to walk to school when I was in grade school.  the terrain was level....both ways.....damn city slicker..