Glued some Vinyl

chiroacademy

I had a few unplayable albums that were at least 30 years old.  Tons of pops and cracks.  Alan Parson's Project - I Robot was my first attempt to use wood glue to clean it.  Tightbond II Wood glue.  Used an old cheap turntable and spread a nice thick layer of wood glue.  Made a mess the first time.  Had wood glue all in the turntable.  lol  Took the platter off and cleaned it up.  
Let the album dry over the weekend.  Pealed the the thick layer of glue off this morning with no problems.  placed the album on and dropped the stylus.  At first I had to check to see if the preamp was set to phono because there was no sound at all, nothing.   Yup, it was set on phono , turned up the volume still nothing.  Then the music started and it was crystal clear.  WOW  I was going to pitch the album and now it sounds fantastic.

The second album went much better, at least in the mess department.

I tried clean using basic methods.  I don't have a record cleaning machine but this is the next best thing.   I would recommend trying the wood glue method before giving up on an album.
I may have to invest in a machine down the road it will have to wait becauset I don't have the extra cash right now. 
  • Thank You 3

• Community Admin
Chiro,
Did you take pictures?  Would like to see how you did that.  I've heard this method, but haven't tried or seen it.
Post one of your TT mess, if you have it...., we won't laugh  Applause
cheers