Stinky Vinyl > YUK

dennismiller55

d'oh!

I have probably 1200 and maybe more vinyl albums.  Most have been in storage in sealed boxes for 30 + years.  Stored in numerous places and climates as I traveled from base to base in the Navy.   I know that some of this vinyl has not seen light since before my first daughter was born 28 years ago.  I have pulled favorite titles from time to time and keep them handy.

Today I had to go to the storage unit and opened every box to pull some more.  I probably pulled fifty.  Today is hot and humid and I can smell the musty paper and cardboard jackets in the van driving home.  I bring them down to my shop.  The smell is horrible.  I had to take them out to the garage.  So I am bringing in one at a time.  

Any suggestions on drying them out and removing the odor?  My vinyl was always handled with care.  The jackets not so much.  There is a lot of edge damage from shelf wear so I am not to concerned about preservation of mint jackets.  

Here in 'dry as a bone California' that is not much of a problem so I have no direct experience. I would suggest sealing them up with baking soda in a snap lid plastic tote.

For cleaning the vinyl, I have found 70% distilled water, 25% isopropyl alcohol (95%), and 5% sulfamic acid (home depot tile and grout cleaner), 2 drops PhotoFlow or one drop JOY works well. The sulfamic acid is likely to make vinyl purists shudder and doubt my sanity. However, records are nothing but PVC and the RYAN HERCO catalog list the compatibility as excellent. If a record has been cleaned in tap water my mix takes the calcium off somewhat. Most mixes I tried with a pH greater than 5 did very little good.

I am off work today screwing around with the old Carvers until friend show up for a barbeque.

Bill

• Thank You 1

Here is another thought.  I purchased a laptop on ebay from a heavy smoker.  Didn't know it when I purchased.  The smell was beyond unbelievable.  It was absorbed into the plastic.  I used dryer sheets and sealed it in an airtight container and it suck ALL the smell out.  It was amazing.  I don't know if this will work but it could be a last resort.

• Thank You 1

I'll second the dehumidifier suggestion. Maybe in a closet. get air between them. Got a UV light? Might kill mold. The jackets and paper sleeves can be put in the sun. Not too long. The vinyl can be put out in the sun if your goal is ashtrays or chip bowls.emangry.gif Water damage to jackets and labels is virtually irreversible. Best of luck!

Is it just the cardboard? Baking powder will suck up odors.
If the vinyl is moldy you'll need a RCM for sure.

I thought this would generate some great conversation.   Thanks everyone for possible solutions.

I am glad you chimed in Steve.  I know you know your vinyl.  Yes, I am sure that the vinyl itself will need cleaning.  I am playing a jazz record right now and it does have a lot of ticks and pops.  But the smell is predominately coming from the jackets and sleeves. 

I am waiting for Perry (PDR) to finish his ultrasonic cleaner.  I would like to try that for the vinyl.  I do have madmike46's DIY record cleaner.  That will have to wait until after the 4th.  (Big party here).
For the jackets maybe letting them sit in the driveway on a dry sunny day will help then baking soda..

For the jackets maybe letting them sit in the driveway on a dry sunny day will help then baking soda..

I am going through a similar project now. I was given a large box of records with a very strong mildew smell.  The records themselves clean up nicely but putting the sleeves on my deck rail for 2 sunny afternoons (one for each side up) seems to do the trick. the sun is a wonderful thing.
  • Thank You 1

• Community Admin
I was just given 6 crates of records, and they all are so moldy I had to leave them in the garage. 

I think some of mine stink so bad, they are going to find that Goodwill is their next home.  

(no worries, I already have a copy of Slim Whitman's greatest hits! ;-)  

I use Baking Powder, and the sun, like has been suggested.  This also works on speaker cabinets that have been in the basement, too long. 

I think some of mine stink so bad, they are going to find that Goodwill is their next home.  

Funny you should mention Goodwill.  I occasionally check out their inventory.  I am mainly looking for CD's but I will look through the vinyl also.  Same musty smell.   

• Thank You 1

Dennis, its going to be a while before that ultra is done.......still have 6 weeks before it gets here.
But as soon as I read this thread I was wondering if it would work on them.

BTW.....I'm sending that 760x out tomorrow or Monday......couldnt do it last time I was in.
Things are finally settling down here now. 

Dennis, its going to be a while before that ultra is done.......still have 6 weeks before it gets here.
But as soon as I read this thread I was wondering if it would work on them.

That's OK.  I am too busy now to DIY much of anything.  Mike's cleaner works very well. 

BTW.....I'm sending that 760x out tomorrow or Monday......couldnt do it last time I was in.
Things are finally settling down here now. 

I will believe when it get here. Big Grin

• Community Admin

Funny you should mention Goodwill.  I occasionally check out their inventory.  I am mainly looking for CD's but I will look through the vinyl also.  Same musty smell.   

Oh yes. So true.  I do the CD/Vinyl seek-and-find trip to Goodwill at least once a week.  

$0.99 for CDs is ridiculous.  

One time I even took my wife after going out for dinner on date night..., OK, that was a bad idea....  d'oh!

Pne time I even took my wife after going out for dinner on date night..., OK, that was a bad idea.... d'oh!

My wife warns me that everytime we are out to avoid the GW but what works best is leaving her in the car while I go in for a sneek

I went through a similar project a while back with a haul from Craigslist.

I bought a bunch of the plastic sleeves and got the vinyl into the new sleeves and out of the covers.  Then baked the covers in the sun until they were fully dried out. Then I just placed them loose against the wall and give them a good douse with Lysol spray and let them sit for a week. You'll need to mark the plastic sleeves with the title so you're not fussing too much when you come to insert the sleeves/vinyl back into the covers.
It's a pain in the sphincter but we must learn to suffer for our cause....emcrook.gif

Not sure this would help but thought I mention.

A friend of mine is a car salesman (used) and he said when they get a stinky or smoked in car they cut up apples and place them in a container under seats to absorb the smell.  Might lock them up in a closet with some apples?

Paul 

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin

Not sure this would help but thought I mention.

A friend of mine is a car salesman (used) and he said when they get a stinky or smoked in car they cut up apples and place them in a container under seats to absorb the smell.  Might lock them up in a closet with some apples?

Paul 

I do this - it works.  Not that I smoke in my F150.  but I do like the smell afterwards better than the air fresheners hanging from the mirror.  I've never tried it with stinky albums, though.