To Vinyl or Not to Vinyl

CT-Seven

Im big on CD's...

Bigger on CASSETTE...

Overloaded with MP3's & FLAC

But I tried Vinyl 15 years ago and it did not pan out, Im pondering now again to try again.

My idea would be to raid all my local GW/Salvation Army and see if I can find 10 to 20 records that I deem worthy then make the jump to sourcing a table

If not I will Karma the found discs... And its all Win/Win

But then here comes my negatives

Clean the vinyl, source the discs, again having to cope with the pops again, which leads me running back to my tape deck.

Sadly GW and Salvation Army have stopped putting tapes on the sales floor and its getting harder and harder to get tapes locally

• Thank You 1

Im big on CD's...

Bigger on CASSETTE...

Overloaded with MP3's & FLAC

But I tried Vinyl 15 years ago and it did not pan out, Im pondering now again to try again.

My idea would be to raid all my local GW/Salvation Army and see if I can find 10 to 20 records that I deem worthy then make the jump to sourcing a table

If not I will Karma the found discs... And its all Win/Win

But then here comes my negatives

Clean the vinyl, source the discs, again having to cope with the pops again, which leads me running back to my tape deck.

Sadly GW and Salvation Army have stopped putting tapes on the sales floor and its getting harder and harder to get tapes locally

Do it. If your records are clean and you have a good cart you'll be fine. The pop's don't bother me on the 5 or 6 out of the 600 + albums I have, it's all part of the vinyl experience. emwink.gif 

• Thank You 1

Yes.....vinyl....but give yourself a fair chance. Instead of trusting entirely to the used bin at the SA, pick up a couple of new LP's whose sound you're familiar with from other formats.
Then get yourself a decent deck....if you're going to do it, commit to it fully. A decent deck, arm and cartridge will minimize the ticks and pops you hear and should sound better than any other format you have if you have the skills to set it up properly. Which is the next hurdle, obviously I don't know what history you have with vinyl, but there's a certain amount of skill needed to setup and level a deck, install the cartridge, set the VTA/VTF etc...again, make sure you give yourself a proper chance to enjoy the format as it should be enjoyed....get someone to help you set it up if need be.

I took a 15 year sabbatical from vinyl and got back into it about 18 mths ago. I jumped in with both feet and bought a good TT, and I'm glad I did eusa_angel.gif
I just upgraded my preamp and the new one has a nicer MC, so things are just getting better as I upgrade in small steps.

Once you're up and running you can have a blast hitting places like you mentioned, along with yard sales and Craigslist. I scored a 700LP collection on Craigslist for less than $150....it's been a pig cleaning those mofos but well worth the effort!!

Good luck..

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin

Im big on CD's...
Bigger on CASSETTE...  [...] Sadly GW and Salvation Army have stopped putting tapes on the sales floor and its getting harder and harder to get tapes locally

I've been finding tapes in BIG boxes at the local church summer rummage sales.  I have no idea why, but a church in my neighborhood seems to always have boxes of cassettes.