Which ripping format/CODEC do you use?

RichP714

When I rip vinyl, I go to WAV at all the bandwidth my DAC can handle (192kHz, 24-bit). Makes a HUGE file for, say, an album. I use some software that guesses where the breaks are based on the track length input and blank space, but it's not very good, and I have to manually adjust every track (a real PITA). I then down-convert the WAV files to Apple lossless. I adjust the sampling rate down to 48kHz, because that's as much as my Squeezeboxes can take, but I keep the WAV files to play direct through my big rig off the attached computer. I do the same with SACDs through the Oppo.

For ripping directly from CD (or hybrid SACD), I use Apple lossless directly into iTunes. The only reason I use that codec is that it's what iTunes uses, and iTunes is directly recognizable by the software that runs my Squeezeboxes (SqueezeCenter). I hear FLAC is good too, if you use Winamp as a player.

Hey Rich,

What about including in the poll the only important one....WAVE! =;

I realized I skipped WAV after I'd created the poll, and although I can edit my first post, I can't change the poll contents #-o

OK. Then I'll just drop a vote into the "Other" category.

I expect to be lonely there!! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person left around that wants to listen to ALL the music recorded. As my wife's niece kept saying at Christmas time..."That's soooo....OLD SCHOOL!"

Rich, I use the JVD modified autocorrelator on my C-4000 to get rid of most noise. I only use digital pop and click very sparingly. It ruins the sparkle in most recordings, and really doesn't get rid of pops and clicks anyway, if they are annoying.

Rich' date=' I use the JVD modified autocorrelator on my C-4000 to get rid of most noise. I only use digital pop and click very sparingly. It ruins the sparkle in most recordings, and really doesn't get rid of pops and clicks anyway, if they are annoying.[/quote']

I'd heard similar about digital pop removal, UNLESS you have the $$$$$ or are Lucas labs and spend the big bucks.

I used to have an SAE surface noise reducer back in the day; semi-decent for recovering what would otherwise be total loss vinyl

• 3 months later...
Guest yzarc

AIFF is the only real choice for quality. I think I heard a "wave" at the ocean, or is that some silly format that the accountant's pc uses when the Winblows? If you want superior audio and video, use a Mac! :ddd

Sound Soap II from BIAS does a good job of removing those annoying sounds from those black frisbees they used to sell, and it is affordable. After a job of over 100 hours of old jazz frisbee conversion to digital files and then clean-up, I now really really hate jazz.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...
  • 6 months later...