Vinyl demand grows, supply restricted by investors WSJ

AndrewJohn

• Community Admin
Wall Street Journal article - the street weighs in on why growth is stifled.  Could it be investor's (lack of) willingness to invest in pressing manufacturing? Dec 11, 2014 article link, below.

The Biggest Music Comeback of 2014: Vinyl Records

Sales of LPs Surge 49% but Aging Factories Struggle to Keep Pace

MK-CR384_VINYLs_9U_20141211180315.jpg 
  • Thank You 1

Wasn't to many alternative way's to listen to music back in 1977.  When CD's became mainstream, it really killed sale's. I find it interesting that vinyl is making a comeback. I think investors are gun shy because they may percieve it as nothing more than a fad. I'd be surprised if say in 5 years that vinyl is still a growing media.

We shall see.

BillWojo

Once storage of music became "nothing you could touch"
It didnt matter what type of "ancient technology" you kept,
if you decided to keep something tangible.

For many people.....like me....I decided to keep the cool looking one.
Kinda like keeping that 70s muscle car....just for fun. 
  • Thank You 1

For the connoisseur of music, digital cds do not contain the same recorded bit for bit information as vinyl does, and until it does, it can't compete with the vinyl enthusiast, nor can it compete with the vinyl's graphic layout and or folders and graphic art.
  • Thank You 1

LOL Phill.  Nope, but its to my understanding that digital is only around 24 bits and doesn't capture all of the info that are on the grooves of an LP....... hence more sound comes from vinyl than from cd's.......  Probably stuck my foot in my mouth again with that statement LOL

For the connoisseur of music, digital cds do not contain the same recorded bit for bit information as vinyl does, and until it does, it can't compete with the vinyl enthusiast, nor can it compete with the vinyl's graphic layout and or folders and graphic art.

The first part I will completely disagree with "look up the Spec's on it"  CD's actually contain far more but everyone has the right to their opinion

As far as competing with the graphic layout's I completely agree with you

Doh-R, your absolutely right. I have picked up CD's that were recorded from vinyl and not very nicely. Full of hiss and pops, others were the mastering was terrible. And than you get some where you reach for the volume control and just crank it up. Those ones are keepers.

BillWojo

The source recording and final mastering have great consequence on the perceived sound quality of the final product.

This is absolutely right and the main reason some think vinyl has a better sound when the spec's show different, even thou I enjoy vinyl also, I think that a lot of the so called vinyl is "better" talk is caused by the placebo effect of many audio enthusiast actually believing this is true and it is repeated so much on the web and in other circles, but in any case everyone has the right to their own opinion and it really doesn't matter in the long run, as long as you enjoy the music and it brings pleasure to you

Mastering for vinyl - back when it was an artform - properly done, would bring all the desired information of the recording out, based on the dynamic limitations of the medium. When CD's first arrived, the sound mastering was often 'engineered' to maximize the available dynamic range and not the pleasing qualities of the music. A lot of those older CD's are nasty.

People often forget that recorded music is not live music, and never will be. The true genius in the mastering process to to present the music in such a way that the listener will 'forget' they are listening to a simulation of the real thing and immerse themselves in enjoying the message and not the medium. 
  • Thank You 3

CDs have the ability to be a perfect match to vinyl, but sadly the production and mixing attention to detail is often lacking.  IMHO, SACD and DVD Audio blow vinyl away for detail, as that attention to detail is much better in the mixing of these formats, but catalog limitations prevent these formats from gaining any traction.

As for the artwork, there is no comparison - Vinyl is the hands down winner.