I am afraid of Vinyl

CT-Seven

Owned a turntable years ago, with an Audiotechnica cart that was probaby worth more than the TT itself.

Went to goodwill today and decided to browse the records found BOB JAMES TOUCHDOWN, Ed Calle Nightgames and Chuck Mangione Fun and Games.

I said I will buy them to get into records again someday BUT...

When I went to checkout a fear took over me that maybe I was not ready or maybe that I really can't get into this again. Funny how I felt cold feet.

But I am terrified of owning a turntable again. I am going to get TOUCHDOWN on cassette and leave the vinyl alone for now... IT JUST SCARES ME

Call me stupid but me and TT's dont mix

EDIT: bought the touchdown album maybe maybe somedaay

Me to. It's the room a decent collection of vinyl would take up though. I'd love to have a really nice turntable to display and play some tunes on and maybe someday at a thrift store or yard sale I'll stumble across something that I can't walk away from. But it's the room a collection of records would take up that scares me. I did score a few country classics at an estate sale a month ago......just in case. In the meantime I just keep collecting CD's

BillWojo

Vinyl is very ritualistic for me. I enjoy the process. Cleaning the record, watching the needle lower, hearing that first note...I love it. I generally use some digital medium. Either from the computer or CD through my PS3, but when I REALLY want to sit back and just listen to some music, I fire up the turntable. I'm not a tech guy, so I don't know anything about bit rates or sampling or the process through which vinyl is made or produces sound. I just know what I like. Digital is convenient and clean. But vinyl just does something for me!

• Thank You 1

Vinyl is very ritualistic for me. I enjoy the process. Cleaning the record, watching the needle lower, hearing that first note...I love it. I generally use some digital medium. Either from the computer or CD through my PS3, but when I REALLY want to sit back and just listen to some music, I fire up the turntable. I'm not a tech guy, so I don't know anything about bit rates or sampling or the process through which vinyl is made or produces sound. I just know what I like. Digital is convenient and clean. But vinyl just does something for me!

+1

My life wouldn't the same if I couldn't listen to my vinyl. It's one of my most enjoyable things to do. Put on my favorite album, melt into my leather chair and enjoy great music. If it wasn't for vinyl I would have OCCD.

vinyl really does not take much more storage space than jewel-boxed CD's. There is no way I could have the music collection I have were it not for the 50 cents apiece I paid at Goodwill. Sometimes I would get 50 plus LP's at a time. I took a magnifying glass with me sometimes to inspect them first.

I now have 1400 LP's from all genres, and have bought music I otherwise would have ignored. Vinyl is not to be feared, it is to be treasured.

+1
My life wouldn't the same if I couldn't listen to my vinyl. It's one of my most enjoyable things to do. Put on my favorite album, melt into my leather chair and enjoy great music. If it wasn't for vinyl I would have OCCD.

Vinyl is all I have listened to in the last 4 years, other then the local FM station.  I can't remember the last time I bought a CD.  I did listen to a CD a few days ago, just wanted to make sure my CDP still worked, Big Grin

I'm the same, I haven't purchased a CD in 10 years. I did get the Carver Reference CDs which didn't work in my CD player. I don't if my CD player doesn't work or if it just doesn't recognise the format. I do listen to an occasional CD in my car.

I think part of my vinyl obsession is it brings me back to my high school and college years connecting me back to a time with great memories. Not that I don't have great memories now but there is just something special about it regardless of which sounds better vinyl or CDs

I think part of my vinyl obsession is it brings me back to my high school and college years connecting me back to a time with great memories. Not that I don't have great memories now but there is just something special about it regardless of which sounds better vinyl or CDs

Brings back memories of better times for me.  When I listen to vinyl I close my eyes and it seems like I am transported back in time, kind of my time machine so to speak. 

depending on the cabinet you can store a lot of albums in cabinet.  Here's one I built that holds 400 LPs and 100 CD's

20141220080037608.jpg

20141220080401725.jpg

20141220080137595.jpg

20141220080556743.jpg

I also would like to see some plans? I have been looking to build a LP cabnet to hold the collection that is growing! 

Wow Dano that cabinet is awesome! Do you have any plans that a person could follow to build 1? Again thing looks great!

I don't recall the trend but I posted the build somewhere on the carver site LOL

I found the trend.  Back then I used photo bucket and since there are other pics in the photobucket so you will have to leaf through them to find the ones that have any pertanent info you may want.  If anyone is wanting dimensions I'll get them and pm you what  you need.  Here's the trend...... http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=10162

• Thank You 1

I vacillate on getting a TT  and I do collect albums from the second hand stores or  record exchanges for the art. The album jackets are placed about the room (sonic treatmentsBig Grin) but periodically converge at the rack where they continually collapse in disarray. The cats are fond getting cozy behind them leaned against the wall. Thinking of a way(s) to display them that would allow the jackets to be rotated through, even thematically selected, & at the same time rearranged with ease. If a TT is added, I can count on members for guidance.

Vinyl is very ritualistic for me. I enjoy the process. Cleaning the record, watching the needle lower, hearing that first note...I love it.

++++

I hope to make some progress on my ultrasonic cleaner this week being off from work.  I have several hundred albums that need cleaning :) 

Vinyl is very ritualistic for me. I enjoy the process. Cleaning the record, watching the needle lower, hearing that first note...I love it.
++++
I hope to make some progress on my ultrasonic cleaner this week being off from work. I have several hundred albums that need cleaning :)

let me know when you get finished with them, I can send you a hundred of mine that need cleaned! Lol