Toy Maker

Christmas Q&A with Bob

Bob and his wife are here in Fort Myers for the holiday. Peggy's mother lives here, and they come to visit every so often.

Bob came to the house yesterday, and it looks like he will be coming for a full day of audio/speaker engineering on Friday.
I thought it might be a cool idea to have a mini Christmas Q&A from and for the forum members.

Not sure this will happen, but if you have something you'd like to ask, post your question here, and if we have the time, I will go through them and see if he's up to answering a bunch of questions for everyone.

Please keep the questions short and clean.
  • Thank You 2

I don't think Robert is posting over here at the moment... so here is a copy of last night's post he made on CA.

Bob's time here was very limited today (Tuesday), so everything was a rush. Mostly we messed with the new Fest speaker crossovers, a job to be continued Friday, with an earlier start. He really wants these to be exceptionally good, and though he said they were already quite good (he especially approved of the sound-stage), he wants to tone down the highs some more. We knew that there was a need for that, but Bob has a cute way of doing it.

As far as the sensitivity of these speakers, they are higher impedance than the CRM2s, but with a Carverfest tube amp running off the 8 ohm tap he figures they will hold their own very well.

As to the Q & A, that didn't happen yet. I did get a chance to ask a few questions on the ride back to his place (Peggy's mother's apartment, 45 miles away !)
I got his reaction to triode amps, and he isn't at all interested in building any. 
But an amp running a single pair of KT-120's per channel (times 2 for stereo) is in the works already, to sell (this is tentative, now) in the range of $3000.

Also, Bob reiterated that the Sunfire service information is perfectly OK to publish, as it's in the Public Domain.

All in all a productive afternoon.

RobertR
  • Thank You 1

Hey James, this sounds cool. Could you ask Bob about how the 305 tube amps would do in comparison to the SS amps (like the Silver 7t) on shorting loads between .7 and 2 ohms? The shorting loads are in reference to the Infinity Kappa 9a speakers. Thanks!

BTW a video on this would be cool. emwink.gif
  • Thank You 1

Thank you James!  This is very cool.  I don't have a question at the moment, but I'm going to follow this thread, for sure.

I really appreciate you copy-posting.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all.

AJ 

Stickers

I think it's so cool that the "MAN" himself is having input into these speakers. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with. Love the fact that he has had a chance to play with them allready, probably come back with some well thought out ideas on Friday. Keep us posted, this is exciting.

BillWojo

Nice to hear the Highs are going to take a little tweeking.

I need to sleep...

I thought I read "Nice to hear the Highs are going to take a little twerkingeusa_wall.gif

I think it's so cool that the "MAN" himself is having input into these speakers. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with. Love the fact that he has had a chance to play with them allready, probably come back with some well thought out ideas on Friday. Keep us posted, this is exciting.

BillWojo

As he was getting ready to go, he said how surprised he was that they sounded so good in such a short amount of time. He thought they they would be just fine as is.

But knowing Bob... that won't be the case. I'm positive we're in for a full day of extreme crossover tweaking and critical listening tomorrow. I am however very confident that by the end of the day, we will have a very refined final crossover. 
  • Thank You 1

Keeping it short and sweet and non technical....

Was wondering what Mr. Carver's favorite series of Carver amps is (excluding the monoblocks, if I may suggest).

If he has a preference.  And maybe a quick reason why....

Thanks very much.

Bob has sort of answered this before by saying it's like choosing which is your favorite child. But he likes the M400 because it really put him on the map.

Yeh, Rod, I think I remember that.  I should've known.  eusa_shifty.gif