Sign in to follow this  
Daddyjt

The Carver ads I drooled over as a kid.

I was searching the web for the first one, with the pictures of the faucet - That was the first Carver ad that really grabbed my attention, and set me on undiagnosed OCCD...

• Thank You 3

Stickers

Very cool although I was expecting a pic of Farrah in her bathing suit next to a rack of Carver gear when you mentioned faucet. LOL Any young man would remember that pic.

I like all the explainations of how his amps work. It also explains why my DCM TF600 speakers sound so much better since switching to Carver. My Denon 90wpc just couldn't keep up even at the same sound levels. Good read.

Thanks

BillWojo
  • Thank You 1

Thanks, these Carver advertisements were Mission Control communiques, You are clear for lift-off, leave the planet (of previous audio) behind. They were novel, attractive, alluring. And now, a reminder as to the genesis of OCCD.
  • Thank You 1

Thanks for the PDF

As soon as I sign off here for the night I'm going to put on some good tunes and do a little readingmsp_thumbup.gif

After reading this I knew I brought the right amp   M-1.5t

It was well worth the money having it rebuilt

They just seemed so far out of reach when I was that age.  (I was in my teens in the 80s)  Macs, Hafler, EV,  I just couldn't afford. 

Then I came across a C-11, in all places a Chrysler points award catalog.  (I had won points in a service writer contest.) 

That was the only piece I actually received new.   Every other Carver piece I bought used. I scoured used listings for years.  Whenever the ad referrred to Carver Power, I bought it, regardless if I had drivers yet or not.

I think that's the third definition under 

OCCD ; noun,
3. The uncanny knack to find the word 'Carver' in the middle of thousands of words in hundreds of used advertisements.

.....it was the search engine before there was such a thing.......
  • Thank You 2

OK, that kept me busy for about an hour...
eusa_clap.gif

Ditto.

Marketers can be on our dirtbag list - but this is really good marketing - integrates the vision and depth of the innovations with a presentation that holds the attention of the reader.  No doubt, Bob had a lot of influence on this content, but I suspect he also had a very effective marketing leader, and team, executing around him.

Any old timers recall who was on the executive team around Bob (pre-IPO and before the wall-street nutbags F'd things up) ? 

I have an old Annual Report - but that leadership team listed there would be the post-IPO group.

Stickers

OK, that kept me busy for about an hour...
eusa_clap.gif

Ditto.

Marketers can be on our dirtbag list - but this is really good marketing - integrates the vision and depth of the innovations with a presentation that holds the attention of the reader.  No doubt, Bob had a lot of influence on this content, but I suspect he also had a very effective marketing leader, and team, executing around him.

Any old timers recall who was on the executive team around Bob (pre-IPO and before the wall-street nutbags F'd things up) ? 

I have an old Annual Report - but that leadership team listed there would be the post-IPO group.

I'll agree here.  
Also, these ads never had any smoke and mirrors.  It was straight forward fact, in language that was relatively easy to understand.  With a sprinkling of way out tech that satisfied the true audiophile.

I think Bob understood what people wanted (power and value) and then just put it out there very plainly and clearly.

• Thank You 1