Hi, looking forward to the community here

I just purchased a M-4.0T that appears to be in good condition from FleaBay. It won't arrive for a week or so but I thought I should find a place where I can get to know it better. I'm looking forward to reading up on all the info here and may have a few questions for the members!

Billy

Welcome to the forum, Billy glad you found us and decided to join in on the fun.
What types of music do you like to listen to, which bands/artists ?
Lots of friendly, helpful, patient folks here willing to help, so don't be shy about asking questions.

Welcome BillyDef! Great start on an amp, are you able to work on electronics? Hopefully yours will arrive in operating condition but even so, all with their age need freshening. To give you research reading the m4.0t tfm 42/45 are all 3 the same amp. Settle in and enjoy

Hi all, thanks for the welcome!

I can work on simple electronics and can learn pretty quick. I don't have an oscilloscope but I do have a Fluke 87.

I recently got back into audio gear. Wife flipped out when a pallet of 2 tower speakers arrived by truck. It was quite amusing. Boxes are still piled up in the guest bedroom.

Equipment:

Yamaha RX-A2030 - ESS DAC's do surprisingly well with Pandora stream, YPAO actually works well.

Furman rack mount filter - PL Plus C

Sony Blue Ray BDP-S550

Sony XBR46" TV (probably upgrade soon)

Polk RTi12 (driven surprising well from Yamaha but bought the amp for these) - 50" tall

Aperion Audio Verus Grand bookshelf (Front Presence L/R), Verus Forte center

No rear channels right now, nowhere to place in the room due to odd shape.

Martin Logan sub 8" - need better sub. Looking at SVS, Rythmik, HSU, probably end up with "small" sealed 15(s)

Waiting for M-4.0t that is claimed perfect condition....we'll see.

Returned Crown XLS1500 amps x 2 due to hissing & humming, lost bass clarity at high volume. Were ran in 8ohm mono at 1040watts each claimed; barely hit -10db lights. Would draw enough power from wall socket to shut down receiver or possibly overloaded RCA output. Never tripped breaker. Apple TV requires higher min voltage and would shut off first before receiver shut off. They sucked in my system. without RCA connected, still hissed, although way less. I could hear it from 10 feet away.

Music Types and examples:

Old Rock: Stones, Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Elton John, Doors, Cars, Pixies, Police, Pink Floyd, War, Smashing Pumpkins, U2

New Rock/Pop: Black Eyed Peas, Flight Facilities, Adventure Club, Zeds Dead,

Lounge: Paris Combo, Gotan Project, Stephane Pompougnac

Club/Electro: Kaskade, Deadmau5, Tiesto

About 15 years ago, I used to have a Hafler XL280, Carver preamp, some 16" woofer speakers with mid and tweeters on fronts and tops, can't remember brand. It blasted pretty loud and clear for hand me down 2 channel gear. I sold it to the business I worked for which used it in a 60000 square foot CNC manufacturing facility. It was loud enough to hear with ear protection on while 5 CNC mills and 2 CNC lathes ran. I figured it was time to get a real system again.

Welcome to the carve site Bill, pull up a chair, and share your pics.  Remember, there is no vacine for OCCD, and it's very contagious (Over compulsive Carver Disorder).  We all have it, some worse than otherws happy0009.gif

Welcome, BillyD! You're really gonna wake up those Polks! They've been sleeping by only having the Yammy powering them. Be careful, the 4.0t can kill a speaker! But it's a good match. Carver/Polk is one of our preferred mixes here. Look at a pair of Mirage Omnisat's for your rear's. Small, and able to be placed in unusual ways because of 360 deg. dispersion.  Stick around! We're here for your listening pleasures.14.gif

Pics are required!emwink.gif 
  • Thank You 1

A good introduction you've made, thanks, and you now just might  have a new favorite site, it's like that for many of us. Keep us posted !

Welcome to the site Billy. As others have mentioned, great choice on the 4.0 for powering the Polks. That amp is a powerhouse and should drive them well. 

Anyone that gets large speakers shipped on a pallet and then leaves the boxes in his bedroom belongs here eusa_dance.gif 
  • Thank You 1

Welcome to theCarversite, Billy! emsmile.gif

Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun with your new M-4.0t! Some folks around here know a thing or two about moving around big speakers... Looking forward to seeing some pics of your setup!