Hi, looking forward to the community here

Howdy Bill and welcome to the forum. Glad you hopped on board the Carver train.

Thanks for the intro. Please post some system pix so we don't have to nag you about it. face20.gif 

G' evening Bill. Not sure if this is the issue---It makes a difference in my experience with the Internet Browser that I am using when visiting the forum. Explorer 11 does not seem to play nicely. If I want to post images I switch to Firefox, for some reason the toolbar options don't open with Explorer.

But yes Pictures are good !

• Thank You 1

Lest I be chastised by the group, I am also guilty of lurking here abouts for the last 2 years w/o pictures of my system.

Someday my wife will have the remodeling - painting project of the Dining - Kitchen-Living area completed and I will be able to gather the scattered Carver gear back into its proper place.

I need to figure out how to post a picture. The easy way seems to only want small pictures.

The Insert Image applet allows you to upload files as large as 14 MB and resizes them to 800 x 600.
(As was mentioned by Sagamore2007 it's NOT compatible with newer vesions of Internet Explorer.) 
20141030074404420.jpg 

From there you can insert a public link or browse to a file on your hard drive.
20141030074556509.jpg 

Once the file has uploaded click OK, then click INSERT.
20141030074939422.jpg 
  • Thank You 3

Ok, here is an attempt at a picture.  I took this while I was still assembling everything.  The small bookshelves are my presence speakers.  I'm still messing around with their location.  The funny paintings were a wine event with my wife.  The blue box is a RCA to XLR convertor that I was trying out with the Crown XLS amps.  Gonna e-bay it now that I returned them.  So far, it looks like a 65" TV will fit perfect on the stand edge to edge.  The 46 is pretty old now.  The Carver amp(s) will go on the left side.  When I take the glass door off, it fits 19" rack mount gear perfect.  There is a line conditioner on the bottom.  I'll probably cut some holes in the back for vents and possibly add 12v or 5v fans depending on heat.20150419094709305.jpg

• Thank You 1

Ok a few more questions. I returned the furman power conditioner. I didn't like that it was always on. If I powered it off, the TV and cable box were upset when they were powered back up again.

To the questions:

1. I think I only have 15amps available at this power outlet. Am I going to run into any power problems? If so, any suggestions. I do not want to rewire the house. I also plan to purchase some 400-700 watt class D driven12-15" subs at some point. First location preference is outboard sides of speakers on the floor.

2. Someone mentioned the M-4.0T can trash speakers. Is this a reference to sheer power or that it can fail and burn up the speakers? If its a failure mode, what can I do to protect my system? Run inline 4-6Amp fuses on the speaker wire?

3. Power conditioning and amp turn on/turn off. What are some suggestions to isolate the Carver Amp noise AND have a solution to auto power on/off with the receiver? I'm not looking to spend $500 on another box. I am up for DIY projects and/or buying something off the shelf. Receiver has 12v trigger out. I started reviewing the "power" threads in the site here and see some good info. I also just e-bayed a used Hakko soldering iron because my current one is junk.

Thanks,

Billy

Welcome to the site !! OCCD (Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder) has no known cure and is very contagious, especially if you spend much time around this place !!! Consider yourself warned...Big Grin

1. I think I only have 15 amps available at this power outlet. Am I going to run into any power problems? If so, any suggestions. I do not want to rewire the house. I also plan to purchase some 400-700 watt class D driven 12-15" subs at some point. First location preference is outboard sides of speakers on the floor.

Some will call this blasphemy, but I doubt you will have any issues with your 15 amp circuit. At 120 VAC that is 1800 watts available. That is a LOT of power available. Worse case you will notice some degradation of sound or possibly trip a circuit breaker. I currently run two MKII Opt 2 M1.0ts, in mono mode (>1,000 watts RMS each) into speakers far less sensitive than yours, along with a 700 watt Class D amped Infinity sub - all from a single 20 amp breaker.

2. Someone mentioned the M-4.0T can trash speakers. Is this a reference to sheer power or that it can fail and burn up the speakers? If its a failure mode, what can I do to protect my system? Run inline 4-6Amp fuses on the speaker wire?

It does have a lot of sheer output power. Of course, under the right circumstances, most any amp can destroy speakers while in failure mode. You can fuse the speaker leads if you want. Dom has a handy chart on here somewhere that is good for estimating the fuse size.

3. Power conditioning and amp turn on/turn off. What are some suggestions to isolate the Carver Amp noise AND have a solution to auto power on/off with the receiver? I'm not looking to spend $500 on another box. I am up for DIY projects and/or buying something off the shelf. Receiver has 12v trigger out. I started reviewing the "power" threads in the site here and see some good info. I also just e-bayed a used Hakko soldering iron because my current one is junk.

What "Carver Amp noise" are you referring to ? Mechanical hum from the amp or noise that is passed into the room via the speakers ?

I made a relay box that is switched on and off with a switched outlet on my C-1. I plug the M1.0t amps into it and the C-1 is never subjected to the current draw from them. You could do the same and use a 12V low current trigger relay that your receiver could operate.
  • Thank You 1

Great info, thanks B-Man!

For #3, I thought I read somewhere that the amp's power supply feeds noise back into the AC line.

I'm curious if anyone added a 12V trigger relay inside one of these amps.

Welcome!

And if you bought the M4.0 on a BIN best offer last week, I was watching that too and contemplated pulling the trigger...you beat me to it! Hopefully it works out for you!!!

Yeah that is the one I bought.  I went back and forth on the offers a few times until we settled on something.