RichP714

Psychoacoustics

Psychoacoustics is the scientific study of sound perception. More specifically, it is the branch of science studying the psychological and physiological responses associated with sound (including speech and music). It can be further categorized as a branch of psychophysics.

Hearing is not a purely mechanical phenomenon of wave propagation, but is also a sensory and perceptual event; in other words, when a person hears something, that something arrives at the ear as a mechanical sound wave traveling through the air, but within the ear it is transformed into neural action potentials.

These nerve pulses then travel to the brain where they are perceived. Hence, in many problems in acoustics, such as for audio processing, it is advantageous to take into account not just the mechanics of the environment, but also the fact that both the ear and the brain are involved in a person’s listening experience. 

-wikipedia 
  • Thank You 1

Stickers

I couldn't be more fascinated by any other topic, since I have been more aware than some of this process since I was young. One thing I son't like is the fact that it has changed (perception, hearing) over the years to the point that I don't trust my sense of hearing like I used to. Sort of an instrument out of adjustment, and that has to be accounted for. Yes, I realize that it isn't just about hearing specifically, but I think that my total perception has changed somehow as well.