RichP714

1: Auditory critical bands

From ZeroPointe unity silver brochure:  

For a given frequency, the critical band is the smallest band of frequencies which activate the same part of the Basilar membrane of the inner ear. The critical bandwidth represents the ear's resolving power for simultaneous tones or partials.

20150606105935397.png
Simplified schematic of the basilar membrane, showing the change in characteristic frequency from base to apex

It is thought that each auditory filter is the equivalent of around 0.9mm on the basilar membrane.   The shape and organization of the basilar membrane means that different frequencies resonate particularly strongly at different points along the membrane. This leads to a tonotopic organization of the sensitivity to frequency ranges along the membrane, which can be modeled as being an array of overlapping band-pass filters known as "auditory filters".

20150606110324797.png 

• Thank You 1

Stickers

I seem to have a particular sensitivity somewhere around 1K. It sounds almost offensive in some music to me, or especially when a PA system is being used. Does this correlate in some way to the above post?

Yep; me too, AM radio or speakers that are not full range like small built-in speakers on TV's drive me up the wall. It's normal to hear the midrange with higher sensitivity (see #2 of RichP's series on how your ears process sound); but I think some are more sensitive than others. When I'm in a large room of people talking my ears get overloaded with vocal range noise and I can't hear people speaking in front of me.

Yep; me too, AM radio or speakers that are not full range like small built-in speakers on TV's drive me up the wall. It's normal to hear the midrange with higher sensitivity (see #2 of RichP's series on how your ears process sound); but I think some are more sensitive than others. When I'm in a large room of people talking my ears get overloaded with vocal range noise and I can't hear people speaking in front of me.

That's the 'cocktail party' effect; related 

Stickers