Top Posters In This Topic

ellingtonNewport.jpg

• icon-lp._V192250658_.gif
  • Vinyl
  • Label: Columbia
  • ASIN: B000VNW0M2

Ellington at Newport

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ellington at Newport is a 1956 live jazz album by Duke Ellington and his band of their 1956 concert at the Newport Jazz Festival, a concert which revitalized Ellington's flagging career. Jazz promoter George Wein describes the 1956 concert as "the greatest performance of [Ellington's] career... It stood for everything that jazz had been and could be.". It is included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, which ranks it "one of the most famous... in jazz history".." 

1,001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

• o Sinatra, Frank – In the Wee Small Hours
  • o Presley, Elvis – Elvis Presley (1956)
  • o Louvin Brothers – Tragic Songs of Life
  • o Prima, Louis – Wildest
  • o Domino, Fats – This is Fats
  • o Ellington, Duke – At Newport (1956)
  • o Sinatra, Frank – Songs for Swingin’ Lovers!
  • o Crickets – Chirping…
  • o Basie, Count – Atomic Mr Basie
  • o Monk, Thelonious – Brilliant Corners
  • o Sabú [Martínez] – Palo Congo
  • o Davis, Miles – Birth of the Cool
  • o Machito – Kenya
  • o Little Richard – Here’s…
  • o Puente, Tito & His Orchestra – Dance Mania (1958)
  • o Holiday, Billie – Lady in Satin
  • o Elliott, Jack – Jack Takes the Floor
  • o Vaughan, Sarah – At Mister Kelly’s
  • o Fitzgerald, Ella – Sings the Gershwin Song Book
  • o Charles, Ray – Genius of… (1959)
  • o Davis, Miles – Kind of Blue
  • o Robbins, Marty – Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs
  • o Brubeck, Dave – Time Out
  • o Baez, Joan – Joan Baez (1960)
  • o Presley, Elvis – Elvis is Back!
  • o Makeba, Miriam – Miriam Makeba (1960)
  • o Everly Brothers – A Date with the…
  • o Smith, Jimmy – Back at the Chicken Shack
  • o Muddy Waters – At Newport
  • o Evans, Bill – Sunday at the Village Vanguard
  • o Charles, Ray - Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music
  • o Booker T & the MGs – Green Onions
  • o Getz, Stan & Charlie Byrd – Jazz Samba...

In addition to the Sheffield and DMP recordings I mentioned earlier, most of the Chesky recordings are also very good.

Chesky Records

Chesky Records is a record label founded in 1988 by brothers David and Norman Chesky. The company produces high-definition recordings of music in a variety of genres,including jazzclassicalpopR&Bfolk and world/ethnic. Some Chesky artists include McCoy TynerHerbie MannDavid Johansen and the Harry Smiths, Joe Henderson,Chuck MangionePaquito D'RiveraRon CarterLarry CoryellJohn PizzarelliBucky PizzarelliBabatunde OlatunjiAna Caram, and Rebecca Pidgeon.

Chesky Records also offers binaural recordings, which seeks to replicate 3-D stereo sound so that the recording sounds as if the listener is in the same room with the musicians.They capture this sound using dummy head recording. For its recordings, Chesky Records uses acoustically vibrant spaces, including the Hirsch Center in Greenpoint, Brooklyn and St. Paul the Apostle Church located in Manhattan...

...In 1990, Chesky Records released its Jazz Sampler & Audiophile Test Compact Disc, with the first nine tracks devoted to music and the remaining twenty devoted to listening and technical tests for headphones and loud speakers. Other test discs include Dr. Chesky’s Sensational, Fantastic, and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show and the Ultimate Demo Disc.

In 2007, David and Norman Chesky also started an audiophile music download website called HDtracks. HDtracks allows customers to download high-resolution versions of albums in numerous formats (FLAC, AIFF). The site contains many varied artists and labels. In 2012, Crosby, Stills, and Nash announced that they would be releasing HD versions of its first three albums through HDtracks, and the company also released remastered titles from the Blue Note label, including John Coltrane’s Blue TrainEric Dolphy’s Out To LunchHerbie Hancock’s Maiden VoyageWayne Shorter’s Speak No EvilHorace Silver’s Song for My Father and Larry Young’s Unity. Other notable artists includeCarole KingJanis JoplinMichael Jacksonthe Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan.

In 2011, Chesky Records incorporated High Resolution Technology in their label, and introduced binaural recordings. The Binaural+ masters are captured in high-resolution (24-bit/ 192 kHz) sound using a binaural dummy head nicknamed “Lars”. David Chesky collaborated with Princeton professor Edgar Y. Choueiri to begin producing binaural recordings. The purpose of the technology is to capture three-dimensional sound and imaging.

Chesky Records uses its own custom recording equipment and experiments with different recording techniques and formats...

front23.jpg

51WoY6kiKwL.jpg

Song for My Father

Song for My Father is a 1965 album by the Horace Silver Quintet, released on the Blue Note label in 1965. The album was inspired by a trip that Silver had made to Brazil. The cover artwork features a photograph of Silver's father, John Tavares Silva, to whom the title song was dedicated...

The album was identified by Scott Yanow in his Allmusic essay "Hard Bop" as one of the 17 Essential Hard Bop Recordings...

51I2VeXCP2L._SX425_.jpg

Chesky Records Jazz Sampler & Audiophile Test Compact Disc, Vol. 1

• Audio CD (September 5, 1990)
  • Number of Discs: 1
  • Label: Chesky Records
  • ASIN: B000003GF3
81x7RBk1niL._SX425_.jpg
  Dr Chesky's Sensational Fantastic & Simply Amazing Sound Show

• Audio CD (August 28, 2012)
  • ASIN: B008FVZHCW
619F6CXN2BL._SX425_.jpg
 Ultimate Demonstration Disc: Chesky Records' Guide to Critical Listening

• Audio CD (October 22, 2013)
  • ASIN: B00002MXUH

"...Depth, Atmosphere, Midrange Purity, Naturalness, Transparency, Presence, Visceral Impact, Focus, and Transients (or lack thereof) on any audio system..." WADE

81iEjLBXRSL._SX425_.jpg 

• Audio CD (November 8, 2008)
  • Please Note: Requires SACD-compatible hardware
  • Format: Super Audio CD - DSD
  • ASIN: B0016KCBNC

"...(David) Chesky is a hero in the audiophile world because of his company's dedication to superb sonics... Chesky prefers cutting live to stereo (and multichannel) with top-of-the-line custom equipment and variations on the Blumlein technique, using optimally placed mic pairs or a SoundField mic — whatever works with the band or ensemble..... Many Chesky releases are available as hybrid 5.1/stereo SACD releases. Chesky's company also now markets its own high-end loudspeakers, the C-1...our philosophy is trying to document the live event and we do it with a stereo microphone. We set the musicians up very carefully and the electronics are minimal, but we're using the best-sounding equipment we can. When you hear our stuff, it's super-clear — everything is the best wire, the best amplifier, the best mic pre...Pianos are hard sometimes because the [dynamic] range is so big. And that's my instrument, so I'm very sensitive to it. Really, though, a lot of it is getting the musicians to play with each other in a way that is sympathetic with the acoustic space we're recording in. Like Giovanni is used to playing with these big Latin bands and whacking those congas. He's amazing...I really love the work of Reference Recordings. Tam Henderson and Keith Johnson are brilliant. They've done such wonderful stuff. I also really like Tom Jung's work. A lot of the best stuff is coming out of small labels. They have passion...American Idol. McDonald's. Kids aren't out there saying, “You know what? I want to hear the Mahler 8th.” They'll never hear it unless they search it out or someone plays it for them. Same with Coltrane. Same with most music outside of the mainstream. A lot of kids don't even know where to look. There's so much more out there. It's like farming: You have to plant the seeds for the next generation."

Welcome to Reference Recordings

KOJB&W.jpgWe at RR believe that how a recording sounds is as important as the music itself. "Prof." Keith O. Johnson, our chief engineer and Technical Director, is a true audio legend, having designed and patented many innovative products in the professional and consumer fields. The RR Sound comes from his singular methods and equipment, hand-built or extensively modified by him. Microphone techniques range from single-point Blumlein to spaced omnis to complex studio mixes, depending on the musical forces and the performing space involved. Our goal is to recreate the sound of real musicians making music in real space.

... the revolutionary High Definition Compatible Digital encoding process, produced and marketed by Pacific Microsonics (recently acquired by Microsoft). HDCD is widely considered to be the most accurate recording process ever invented.

For more than 30 years, Keith O. Johnson has served as Technical Director, Recording Engineer and partner in Reference Recordings. His 100-plus recordings for the label have long been considered the standard for high fidelity, and include three GRAMMY award-winners and eight additional GRAMMY nominations.

DMP Digital Music Products

DMP Digital Music Products
DMP Digital Music Products.tif
Founded 1983
Founder Tom Jung
Distributor(s) Telarc International Corporation
Genre Jazz
Country of origin US

DMP Digital Music Products was one of the first fully digital recording labels, generally specializing in jazz artists. Founded by engineer and digital recording pioneer Tom Jung after leaving Sound 80 recording studios in Minneapolis, its first releases in 1983 featured pianist Warren BernhardtJay Leonhart, and the group Flim & the BB's - which were the first non-classical recordings released on Compact Disc. Recordings on the DMP label are noted for their high level of sonic excellence. DMP was one of the few labels to release commercial DAT recordings, has been at the forefront of introducing numerous digital recording technologies, and has been a pioneer in the SACD digital audio format.

Notable artists who have recorded for the DMP label include Warren BernhardtJay LeonhartFlim & the BB'sLynne ArrialeJoe BeckAli RyersonChuck LoebJoe Morello and many other

Thanks for this and to Staticvar for introducing this label.  Another group of recordings that I'm going to put on my list to acquire.

In a previous post someone (Dom?) recommended the Flim and the BB's recordings.  That brought back a flood of memories as I'd forgotten the group and their recordings.  I do remember listening to some of their CD's and being impressed with how clean, tight and detailed they were.  Can't wait to hear them again.

Please keep this going.  If it weren't so potentially expansive, I'd love to see a 'sticky' of sorts that is merely a list of the best audiophile recordings for reference.  In the mean-time, I'm going to assemble my own.
So, i'm over at a friends place today and i mentioned this post. He is a hard core Jazzbo' He pulls  out three Flim &the BB's cd's...Tunnel, Big Notes and Neon...I've got a week or two to give them a listen.
  • Thank You 1

41NTArevksL._SX425_.jpg

Taste of Dmp

Track Listings

1. 8th Avenue March - Bob Mintzer
2. The Immigrants - Thom Rotella
3. Walkin' Up - Warren Bernhardt
4. Over And Out - Flim & The BB's
5. Echoes From Bahia - Manfredo Fest
6. Martian Love Song - Billy Barber
7. You Are The Music - Gerry Niewood
8. Salamander Pie - Jay Leonhart
9. Tamborine - John Tropea
10. Harmonic - Dick Oatts
11. Kept Woman - Garry Dial & Dick Oatts
12. Pannonica - Andy LaVerne
13. Lullaby - Joe Beck

Product Details

• Audio CD (May 15, 1989)
  • Label: Digital Music Prod
  • ASIN: B000003DD5

Sheffield Lab 

Over 40 Years of Astonishingly Realistic Quality

For over forty years, the award-winning natural sound of Sheffield Lab has been recognized throughout the world as the reference standard for musical and sonic excellence. Sheffield is the label that single-handedly brought audiophile recordings to high profile status with the astonishingly realistic quality of its direct-to-disc recordings. With the highest audio standard for its CDs and downloads,

Sheffield's tradition of non-compromise audio continues in the digital era with stunningly beautiful sound, across its diverse catalog of pop, jazz, and classical music.

machine.jpg

... they began producing direct-to-disc audiophile recordings, they designated these as Sheffield—Laboratory Series, and soon Sheffield Lab, with the morning glory logo.

The pressure of recording direct to disc in 15 to 20 minute takes brought out the best in the outstanding musicians who were on the Los Angeles scene. Rather than playing cautiously, they rose to the challenge, taking risks and playing vigorously. Over the years many fine engineer/producers brought pop and jazz projects to the company. Bill Schnee, Larry Brown, Al Schmidt, and George Massenberg were some of the talented men who produced and engineered for the company, men who could mix complex music in real time with live performances and discs turning. Their spectacular mixes recorded direct to disc became “The Sheffield Sound”, along with the “purist” classical recordings which Doug Sax engineered, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the Moscow Philharmonic, and smaller ensembles.

Sheffield Lab gracefully entered the digital era with Compact Discs which maintain the same musical and technical integrity, proving that there is more to a great recording than the chosen storage medium...."

Direct (Tower of Power album)

Direct is a 1981 live in-studio album by Tower of Power. It was their only album for the direct-to-disc record label Sheffield Lab. It also marked the return of original guitarist Willie James Fulton, not heard from since 1972's Bump City, and the last album to feature saxophonist Lenny Pickett. Mark Sanders plays drums on this album. .. It contained mostly songs from their previous albums but included new stuff as well.

Direct would later be released with alternate takes on CD as Direct PLUS in 1997

santana_hi.jpg

Also available on Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs

"...Rolling Stone says Santana is #149 on its list of the Greatest Albums of All Time.... 

...Mobile Fidelity's first and foremost goal was to offer faithfully reproduced high fidelity recordings that would compliment the numerous advances occurring in audio delivery systems. Throughout its history, Mobile Fidelity has remained true to this goal, pioneering state-of-the-art technologies and setting audiophile standards that remain in place today.
In response to rapid advancements in both recording formats and audio delivery systems over the past several years, Mobile Fidelity has maintained its ongoing commitment to improving industry standards. This has resulted in the introduction of numerous innovations in the audiophile arena..."

http://www.mofi.com/product_p/mfsl2-012.htm
  • Thank You 1

The Sheffield Labs LPs are some of my favorite recordings.
In addition to Tower of Power Direct these are worth picking up:.

20150901141847785.jpg 

20150901141944137.jpg 
I have the "King James Version" album (vinyl) and it is indeed superb.  I've had it for years.

Just got the Tricycle (Flim and the BB's) CD last week and have listened to it twice.  It is a very, very good recording.  I also got the 1985 German pressing of Brothers in Arms (Dire Straits).  Love it. 

This Duetsche Grammaphone recording of Ravel's "Bolero" is excellent & exhibits extraordinary dynamic range. Caution must be used when listening at high volume levels!!

While "Bolero" was the most famous piece, I really like "La Valse". It is a wild piece with crazy dynamic jumps!

R-2078711-1288894809.jpeg.jpg.599800f5ea0e94d0823cf62ad782e447.jpg

• Thank You 1

these are my picks.....

DSC_0028_zpsfp5t7yh8.jpg

Holst/ The planets/ Previn

Tchaikovsky 1812/ Cincinnati sym 1979

Witches brew/ red seal lsc-2225

Rickie lee jones/ self title

Dead can dance/ into the labyrinth

Sarah mclachlan/ surfacing

This mortal coil/ filigree & shadow

Dire straights/ brothers in arms (sterling)

Cowboy junkies/ The trinity session

• 2 weeks later...

For digital recordings I have also enjoyed the DMP label as talked about in earlier post. Along with Flim & the BB's two more great ones are Thom Rotella Band and Chuck Loeb. The Chuck Loeb disc "Mediterranean" is excellent. These "Bands recorded live to two track digital" not only have the super wide dynamic range but also without overdubs the imaging and soundstage is very impressive. I find that these recordings bring out the best of Sonic Holography and seem like a perfect match in some way. Lots of great music on this label. Great for demo..