Temporary change in system required.

danowood

I'm sitting in a 14 x 14 x 8 foot extra bedroom using 2-- 60 watt tube mono blocks and they have plenty of power for me.. I must have got old.. I used to crank my M400s in the 1980s til the protection circuits would shut them down, then when they cooled enough to come back on we would do it again, put fans on them and crazy shit running 2 of them mono. Trying to save a little hearing for later. Then there was the car audio thing in the 80s. 

• Thank You 1

A friend of mine in the late 80s spent $10,000.00 on Rockford Fosgate amps and car gear for a new Pontiac Formula. He won quite a few contest with it. But omg you would think your heart was jumping in your chest, similar to the rush from a top fuel dragster, that earthshaking feeling.. Kind of like Dano's room bridged mono..

• Thank You 1

A friend of mine in the late 80s spent $10,000.00 on Rockford Fosgate amps and car gear for a new Pontiac Formula. He won quite a few contest with it. But omg you would think your heart was jumping in your chest, similar to the rush from a top fuel dragster, that earthshaking feeling.. Kind of like Dano's room bridged mono..

Say WHAT?  I can't hear you  happy0009.gif 

20151205131343397.jpg 

I DO like my music loud (at times) and my room is large (26 x 16 x 9) but my speakers are more "efficient" than Dan's.
Using 3 M-500(t)s and an M-1.0t MK2 opt2 I measured 121.6 dB before clipping using the DEQ2496 as an SPL meter.

When I worked for Carlo Sound in the late 70's we had a 40,000 watt stadium sound system set up in the warehouse.
Most of the day it ran at "idle" but by quiting time it would be cranking at levels that would make your ears bleed!
  • Thank You 2

Dom did sound for clubs in the 80s. I bet he has had some killerwatt exposer!

and great hearing eusa_think.gif 

Clubs (actually discos) were pretty benign from a noise exposure standpoint. I also played guitar in a rock band, spent 3 years working underground with a conventional mining crew, 3 years doing stadium sound reinforcment for Carlo Sound, and 30 years working in a high-speed printing facility. By all rights I should be deaf now! What's that you say? 

• Thank You 2

Clubs (actually discos) were pretty benign from a noise exposure standpoint. I also played guitar in a rock band, spent 3 years working underground with a conventional mining crew, 3 years doing stadium sound reinforcment for Carlo Sound, and 30 years working in a high-speed printing facility. By all rights I should be deaf now! What's that you say?

Your DNA (and line) must continue for many generations to come. I envy you.

I was in a Uriah Heep concert (third row in 1976/77) - near death experience does not come even close. I still have PTSD to this day when I hear Uriah Heep. Drank my wine... just blows my head....

• Thank You 1

Dom did sound for clubs in the 80s. I bet he has had some killerwatt exposer!

and great hearing eusa_think.gif 

Yes I expect you like me have a hearing deficit LOL

Nice Keyboard!   One of several of Steve's choices in his rig years ago.   I seem to recall a rather challenging technique of adding - filing solder that Steve would utilize when servicing- tuning his Farfisa Combo back in the early 80's.   We still haul around 3-4 Keyboards for  Steve.
20151206064724710.jpg
   "the Blades"  circa 2011-12
  • Thank You 1

I was in a Uriah Heep concert (third row in 1976/77) - near death experience does not come even close. I still have PTSD to this day when I hear Uriah Heep. Drank my wine... just blows my head....

I saw the Heep in 1976 too LT. Kiss was the headliner and Ted Nugent was the opening act.
In fact my brothers and I went to all 3 of the World Series of Rock shows that summer.
Great lineups, infield seating (at the old Comiskey Park), and only $10 a ticket. 

20151206011010797.jpg 

Dom, You must be the tall kid on the left ?

Nope. I'm the dork in the middle playing the red semi-solid, single pickup, single cutaway Harmony. 

An interesting note, our drummer, Mike Arturi, moved to LA in the 70's and worked as a studio musician.
In the 80's he toured with acts like Linda Ronstadt, and has been The Lovin Spoonful's drummer since 97.
  • Thank You 1