Anyone here have any minidiscs?

trav0810

I picked up a Sony Minidisc player/recorder today at goodwill for a whopping $5.99. I have never even heard one of these things, let alone owned one. I don't even know if it works, since I don't have a minidisc to try out on it. I have ZERO need for this thing, but I thought hell, for less than $10...why not. So, if anyone has any of these laying around that they aren't using, I'd like to buy a cheap disc to test the unit, or borrow one to see if it works.

Thanks guys!

I have one.  It's a Yamaha MDX-793.  I like mine.  I just bought it because I never owned one either, but thought they were neat.  You got yours cheap.  Mine was $150.00 from Ebay and had the manual and remote with it and was in excellent shape.  I also have a minidisc portable player, a Sony.  You can get some discs from Ebay, also thrift stores and flea markets.  IF it powers up, you are halfway there......Big Grin.

I have one.  It's a Yamaha MDX-793.  I like mine.  I just bought it because I never owned one either, but thought they were neat.  You got yours cheap.  Mine was $150.00 from Ebay and had the manual and remote with it and was in excellent shape.  I also have a minidisc portable player, a Sony.  You can get some discs from Ebay, also thrift stores and flea markets.  IF it powers up, you are halfway there......Big Grin.

It powers up, but I don't know anything beyond that. I looked at some discs on eBay...some of them are SALTY. The Wall...$200!

None here, either, but I do have a Sony DAC machine, with tapes, in case you get bored with the minidisc.

Can't you just cut down a CD? Most of the info is in the middle anyway...

Or- Buy a pile of used discs HERE

s-l500.jpg
  • Thank You 1

I never bought an mini disc that already had music, to me the whole point of mini discs was that I could record them, so I always used them to record my CDs and take the mini discs with me. I had a home Mini Disc recorder, a Sony disc man (like a Walk Man) and a 4-MiniDisc changer in my car. To me they sounded very similar to CDs. I still have them but I haven't used them in more than a decade. What kind of music do you like, if I have a CD you like I can burn it on mini disc and send it to you.

If your mini disc is a recorder, you can buy a blank mini disc and record it yourself, it's really simple!

I never bought an mini disc that already had music, to me the whole point of mini discs was that I could record them, so I always used them to record my CDs and take the mini discs with me. I had a home Mini Disc recorder, a Sony disc man (like a Walk Man) and a 4-MiniDisc changer in my car. To me they sounded very similar to CDs. I still have them but I haven't used them in more than a decade. What kind of music do you like, if I have a CD you like I can burn it on mini disc and send it to you.

If your mini disc is a recorder, you can buy a blank mini disc and record it yourself, it's really simple!

Mine is a Sony player/recorder. I'm a big Donald Fagen/Steely Dan fan. If the unit works, I will probably buy some blank discs to record directly from Pandora

....most CD players will play a mini disc. The tray accepts them right in the middle.

Sony mini-discs with their integral, floppy disc-like cases are NOT compatible with standard CD players.
Minidisc.jpeg 

I believe you are thinking of the mini-CD: 
20160420174424617.jpg 
  • Thank You 1

....most CD players will play a mini disc. The tray accepts them right in the middle.
Sony mini-discs with their integral, floppy disc-like cases are NOT compatible with standard CD players.
Minidisc.jpeg
I believe you are thinking of the mini-CD:
20160420174424617.jpg

Yep, that's what I was thinking about. Lol

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No. I didn't keep it very long at all, pre-recorded many discs were ridiculously expensive when you could find them, and I just started getting rid of any excess stuff that I wasn't using on at least a weekly basis

1 hour ago, trav0810 said:

No. I didn't keep it very long at all, pre-recorded many discs were ridiculously expensive when you could find them, and I just started getting rid of any excess stuff that I wasn't using on at least a weekly basis

I still have mine. I have about 6 discs prerecorded that I picked up for $30.00 or less each. I have plenty of blanks and a couple of portable md player/recorder I found cheap. I have it tied in to a DAC on the output along with my DAT deck and Yamaha MCX-1000. I like mine, another toy to record too, and digital format to play with.......grin. Thanks for the update!