Hello

Flyboy, welcome to the site, glad you decided to join in on the fun.
Lots to see and read here as you have probably already found out.
Tell us about your system.
Also what types of music - bands and or artists do you enjoy listening to?
Enjoy the site and our Carver community............... 

+1, and please post some photos of your toys. 

< Posted: 2 years ago:

Flyboy wrote

"Hello all,

just got my little humble office system up and running and it only took me a year ha! I wanted to get back into vinyl but also wanted to go with equipment that was from the 70's and early 80's (at my age I am feeling nostalgic). A little back story, my father was into vinyl and for the last few years he and I had been discussing the topic. Well sadly he passed away last year and I inherited the turntable. My father in law who passed away in the early 90's was also an audiophile so I inherited the Bose 901's that he bought new in the very early 80's to go with his Carver/DBX equipment and Nakamichi 700ZXL Tape Deck. Long short is I ended up with a not so great looking set of 901's. So last year I decided to put it all together.

I re-foamed the 901's and restored the cabinets myself with some invaluable advice from David at DHS Speaker service. He then recapped and upgraded the 901 Equalizer. I had a custom plinth made for my dads Thorens TD 160 Turntable. I had never seen one made out of Eucalyptus (grows in Cali where Dad lived) so I had it done and it turned out beautiful I think. I am currently using the Denon DL 110 MC cartridge on the turntable.

I then acquired the Carver C-1 and M1.0t to complete the system. The C-1 was just modified by wrf (and again I thank him for the wonderful job). The only thing left is the MKII mod for the M1.0t (and I am on the list).

Kind Regards,

Flyboy"

Hey Flyboy. So glad to have you back posting again. I joined in February and missed your original post above. I did see the pics of your beautiful 901's and that Thorens TD160 TT with the Eucalyptus plinth! Awesome stuff.

Do you still have all that equipment ???

Did you get the Mk2 mod to the M1.0t?

Any upgrades (or downgrades) over the past two years? Updated pics are always welcome!

Btw, how did u arrive at your username?

....and keep posting. You've got some great gear!

• 2 weeks later...

< Posted: 2 years ago:
Flyboy wrote

"Hello all,

just got my little humble office system up and running and it only took me a year ha! I wanted to get back into vinyl but also wanted to go with equipment that was from the 70's and early 80's (at my age I am feeling nostalgic). A little back story, my father was into vinyl and for the last few years he and I had been discussing the topic. Well sadly he passed away last year and I inherited the turntable. My father in law who passed away in the early 90's was also an audiophile so I inherited the Bose 901's that he bought new in the very early 80's to go with his Carver/DBX equipment and Nakamichi 700ZXL Tape Deck. Long short is I ended up with a not so great looking set of 901's. So last year I decided to put it all together.

I re-foamed the 901's and restored the cabinets myself with some invaluable advice from David at DHS Speaker service. He then recapped and upgraded the 901 Equalizer. I had a custom plinth made for my dads Thorens TD 160 Turntable. I had never seen one made out of Eucalyptus (grows in Cali where Dad lived) so I had it done and it turned out beautiful I think. I am currently using the Denon DL 110 MC cartridge on the turntable.

I then acquired the Carver C-1 and M1.0t to complete the system. The C-1 was just modified by wrf (and again I thank him for the wonderful job). The only thing left is the MKII mod for the M1.0t (and I am on the list).

Kind Regards,

Flyboy"

Hey Flyboy. So glad to have you back posting again. I joined in February and missed your original post above. I did see the pics of your beautiful 901's and that Thorens TD160 TT with the Eucalyptus plinth! Awesome stuff.

Do you still have all that equipment ???
Did you get the Mk2 mod to the M1.0t?
Any upgrades (or downgrades) over the past two years? Updated pics are always welcome!

Btw, how did u arrive at your username?

....and keep posting. You've got some great gear!

David does very nice work. He is mostly into Bose and Polk repair and upgrades but works on most speakers. I sold my series VI 901s and went back to the series II. David did the EQs for both series. The work on the series II made a tremendous difference in detail and clarity in the treble. I'll post a before and after pic of the EQ.
20160828172655195.jpg 
 20160828172803966.jpg
 20160828172856640.jpg
I use them as rear speakers in my HT system.
  • Thank You 3

Interesting to replace mostly non-electrolytics with $100+ of boutique film caps, but leave all the carbon composition resistors. But I guess the proof's in the pudding, whatever sounds better! emteeth.gif

Interesting to replace mostly non-electrolytics with $100+ of boutique film caps, but leave all the carbon composition resistors. But I guess the proof's in the pudding, whatever sounds better! emteeth.gif

LOL, most people don't consider Sonicaps a boutique cap. The silver mica caps are responsible for most of the difference in detail.The film caps Bose used back when the EQ was built were not that good. Certainly not compared to what we have today. I totally agree about the resistors. Two at the head of the audio signal were replaced with 1% metal film. I asked David several times to replace all the resistors but he said it would not be cost effective for the SQ difference. He was getting annoyed by my insistence. Shortly after I found a guy on AK that replaces all the resistors BUT I did not like some of his choices for other caps - some were non-audio caps. 

I am happy with the sound and the difference the EQ upgrade made. After all, they are NOT my reference speakers.
  • Thank You 2

+2

We love photos!

BarryG