got my system together, sounding good!

so my last post was about my ct-17 not working. ill try and do a recap in the future but for now i found a c-11. seller said everything worked great, but when i turn it on, the volume is low for about 30 seconds until something warms up. then it makes a few crackles and kicks in and sound gets normal and sounds great. also, if sonic holography is on i only get sound from the right side. also a little disappointed that the black is different than my other components, but still better than silver. 

so anyway with those issues aside and figuring out how to adjust the speed on the denon turntable it sounds amazing! here a few pics and a video. i found that cart which was rusty and crusty out with someones trash last week!

IMAG0515-01_zps79sc7hsn.jpeg

IMAG0512-01_zpsqdlsa9vm.jpeg

video: 

oh, and thanks to this forum, i got a new belt and easily installed it so my cd player opens a closes again! I ordered couple extra so as a thank you, if any members  break a belt, message me and ill send you one for free :)
  • Thank You 2

Nice neat setup. I'm impressed with how neatly some people can dress their wires and cables. Did you custom make your interconnects to the length needed?

My setup starts out fairly organized when I take it all apart and put it back together, but by the time I move stuff around once or twice it quickly becomes a rat's nest of tangles. 

I like your Dennon TT. 

Hey Vin. Great post!!!!

You're system rock's with Iron M! Awesome YouTube vid my friend.

Sorry to hear about your "new" C-11 acting up. I'm sure 4krow can help with that. The C9 he did for me is top notch and I would not think of ever getting rid of it.

Your KLH speakers seem to be a perfect match for your system. ...and the Denon TT tops things off very nicely.

This post made my day with Carver rockin' out. -- just how we like it--powerful and accurate

I wish more folks could do posts like yours.

Thank u!!!

• Thank You 1

Sweet Vin!! Man what some people throw out? I look every morning while I drive through a high end area that has daily trash curb service but alas have never seen anything. Don't know what cart you are using or how old and worn it is but I can recomend a Denon DL-110.

• Thank You 1

Nice system Vin, simple but effective. Thanks for posting the pics and video.

Some notes about the C-1/C-11: 

Early production C-1's (under S/N 00500) were brushed aluminum (or champagne) with black lettering.
Carver-C1.jpg 

The rest of the C-1's had anodized anthracite faceplates (a medium grey) with light grey lettering.
CarverC1-1.jpg 

As far as I am aware the C-11 was only available in anodized black with light grey lettering.
362297-carver_c11_preamplifier_stereo_pr 

If your C-11 is anthracite it could be a prototype or a special order unit. What's the serial number?
  • Thank You 1

It has C-11 button shapes

I had not noticed that. This is a very unique item. Maybe it was produced right before the changeover to black.

Nice system Vin, simple but effective. Thanks for posting the pics and video.
Some notes about the C-1/C-11:
Early production C-1's (under S/N 00500) were brushed aluminum (or champagne) with black lettering.
Carver-C1.jpg
The rest of the C-1's had anodized anthracite faceplates (a medium grey) with light grey lettering.
CarverC1-1.jpg
As far as I am aware the C-11 was only available in anodized black with light grey lettering.
362297-carver_c11_preamplifier_stereo_pr
If your C-11 is anthracite it could be a prototype or a special order unit. What's the serial number?

Serial is 586

I think In person it looks like your third pic. It is black, just not as dark of a black as the other components. Definitely darker than the second pic of the c-1. Have you seen (not sure if that pic is yours) that c-11 next to newer black pieces? Do they usually match?

IMAG0528_zpszkcqvhuy.jpg

IMAG0519_zpslb2xdrz3.jpg

IMAG0523_zpswxz1txnx.jpg

• Thank You 1

Serial is 586.

I think In person it looks like your third pic. It is black, just not as dark of a black as the other components. Definitely darker than the second pic of the c-1.IMAG0528_zpszkcqvhuy.jpg

That purple tint on yours may be the result of cleaning the faceplate with a product containing ammonia.

BTW: My C-11 is s/n 00003.
20160712195920447.jpg 

OT, but Mods, please move/split as appropriate. 

@Z, I have a Silver C1, serial 1018. It has no serial number on the photographed side of the board, which is unusual.

20161019165701894.jpg 20161019165741263.jpg
20161019165836720.jpg 

• Thank You 1

Backside looks great. An important picture that is often left out. I am always hesitant to buy short connects on the off chance the units are moved apart - something that never actually happens at my house….

• Thank You 1

so my last post was about my ct-17 not working. ill try and do a recap in the future but for now i found a c-11. seller said everything worked great, but when i turn it on, the volume is low for about 30 seconds until something warms up. then it makes a few crackles and kicks in and sound gets normal and sounds great. also, if sonic holography is on i only get sound from the right side.

What if you set it to mono with the holography off, and stereo with holography off?

Try turning the holography off, then turning the balance full left then full right.  Do you hear sound from each speaker?  Try it again with holography on also.

One thing I notice is that the left speaker is flush to a side wall; so the image might not be forming on that side.  You might hear this as a loss of one channel or a severe reduction in sound from one side. 

Yes Vin, I have a C-11 and it does match my other black-faced Carver units (an SD/A-490t and TX-11b).
20160728120517463.jpg

That's a system worth lusting over.......ROTFL

Nice setup Dr. Z......grin

Nice neat setup. I'm impressed with how neatly some people can dress their wires and cables. Did you custom make your interconnects to the length needed?

My setup starts out fairly organized when I take it all apart and put it back together, but by the time I move stuff around once or twice it quickly becomes a rat's nest of tangles. 

I like your Dennon TT. 

thanks! yes, they were 25ft monster cables i had which i cut and resoldered.  

Sweet Vin!! Man what some people throw out? I look every morning while I drive through a high end area that has daily trash curb service but alas have never seen anything. Don't know what cart you are using or how old and worn it is but I can recomend a Denon DL-110.

thanks! the cart i was referring to is the stand i have everything on. it was rusty and crusty, but i wire wheeled it, lowered the middle shelf and painted it black.

the TT was my dads. it is a Denon dp-2550 which has a DP-2000 direct drive and the tonearm is an Infinity black widow with an Ortofon super OM20 cartridge.  

Looks good, what kind of speakers are those? you might want to put some dampening on the side wall of that left speaker to cancel reflections. 

thanks! the speakers are KLH virtuoso 6V.

i havnt noticed any reflections or reverb yet, good idea though. that wall is short and ends right about where the picture cuts it off. 

That purple tint on yours may be the result of cleaning the faceplate with a product containing ammonia.

BTW: My C-11 is s/n 00003.
20160712195920447.jpg 

wow, that is pretty cool! 

Your C-11 does seem a bit faded. Maybe try some furniture cleaner/polish to see if it helps.
Here's a pic of my C-11 on top of the TFM-24. Both are black, but the TFM-24 has a bit more gloss.
20161020090243518.jpg 
  • Thank You 1