From the Beginning ELP
Piano Concerto #1 Emerson
Gypsy's Wife Lenard
The Pepperland Suite George Martin
1st Piano Concerto 4th Movement Toccata
Taking It Home Stanley "Buckwheat Zydeco" Doral Taking It Home
Man in the Long Black Coat Bob Dylan
The Road to Hell Chris Rea
Hotel California Glenn Frey (The Eagles)
Why Can't You Behave The Porter Project
Children of the Sun Billy Thorpe
Fearless Pink Floyd Meddle
On the Border The Eagles

Song Artist Album
Thunder And Birdies from Tricycle Flim & the BB's  Tricycle

• Thank You 1

Frey wrote the lyrics to Hotel California. It is considered to be the most famous of all the Eagles songs and it certainly has the best lyrics. It is listed on pretty much every top 10 list of rock songs all time. Clearly it is Frey's masterpiece.
It's also one of three extremely over-played songs I refuse to listen to anymore. Freebird, Hotel California and Stairway to Heaven.

As great of a song it is, I agree with Kevin!

BarryG

Since I never listen to a radio I wouldn't know about "overplayed". I just know it's a great song. It got to the top for a reason. And I wouldn't listen to either of those other two songs. They lost their appeal for me decades ago.

This sounds a little Yogi Berra when he said, " No one goes there anymore.  It's too crowded."  If a song is disqualified for being too popular what's that say about us?

Wow, sorry to create a stir; but I just thought it would be good to hear the voice of Glenn Frey on a reference disc honoring people who have passed. Don also sings the lyrics in On the Border. What about 'Take it Easy'? Great vocals by Glenn there, he also finished writing the lyric for Jackson Browne who credits Glenn as being the person who got the lyrics to sound right.

'Peaceful Easy Feeling' is also a great song with Glenn on vocals; he also helped Jack Tempchin in completing the song.
  • Thank You 1

Wow, sorry to create a stir; but I just thought it would be good to hear the voice of Glenn Frey on a reference disc honoring people who have passed. Don also sings the lyrics in On the Border. What about 'Take it Easy'? Great vocals by Glenn there, he also finished writing the lyric for Jackson Browne who credits Glenn as being the person who got the lyrics to sound right.

'Peaceful Easy Feeling' is also a great song with Glenn on vocals; he also helped Jack Tempchin in completing the song.

I figured it out, but this is an example of when I said I wouldn't be familiar with 95% of the music.  emwink.gif

Frey wrote the lyrics to Hotel California. It is considered to be the most famous of all the Eagles songs and it certainly has the best lyrics. It is listed on pretty much every top 10 list of rock songs all time. Clearly it is Frey's masterpiece.
It's also one of three extremely over-played songs I refuse to listen to anymore. Freebird, Hotel California and Stairway to Heaven.

The Hell Freezes Over live Hotel California is one of my go-to reference tracks. It is one of the best engineered live recordings I have heard.

The Hell Freezes Over live Hotel California is one of my go-to reference tracks. It is one of the best engineered live recordings I have heard.

I could live with that live version.

Song Artist Album
I Can't Give Everything Away Blackstar
Tin Pan Alley SRV
Under Pressure David Bowie
You want it Darker Leonard Cohen
From the Beginning ELP
Piano Concerto < Emerson
Gypsy's Wife Lenard
The Pepperland Suite George Martin
Taking It Home Stanley "Buckwheat Zydeco" Doral Taking It Home
On the Border The Eagles

Song Artist Album
Thunder And Birdies from Tricycle Flim & the BB's Tricycle
Chris Rea Road to Hell is on our other CS Reference Disc

The one issue I have with the Live version is the bass line. The loudness level on the subs seems very artificial. Try it with a Sunfire EQ-10. I have to turn the sub down two notches. 

• Thank You 1

Update input list:

Song Artist Album
Tin Pan Alley SRV
Under Pressure David Bowie
You want it Darker Leonard Cohen
From the Beginning ELP
Piano Concerto #1 Emerson
Gypsy's Wife Lenard
The Pepperland Suite George Martin
Taking It Home Stanley "Buckwheat Zydeco" Doral Gone but not forgotten
On the Border The Eagles
Take it Easy The Eagles
St. Louis Blues Pete Fountain
Queen of the Wrecking Ball Candye Kane
Cocaine Blues Lonnie Mack
Memphis Monday Morning Bobby Blue Bland
The Hurricane
Bob Dylan
ELP
Benny the Bouncer
Johnny Lee's Mood Backbone Slip

Song Artist Album
Thunder And Birdies from Tricycle Flim & the BB's  Tricycle

• Thank You 2

'Lets Go Crazy', by Prince on "Purple Rain"

Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today
To get through this thing called "life"
Electric word, life
It means forever and that's a mighty long time
But I'm here to tell you
There's something else
The afterworld
A world of never ending happiness
You can always see the sun, day or night
So when you call up that shrink in Beverly Hills
You know the one, Dr. Everything'll-Be-Alright
Instead of asking him how much of your time is left
Ask him how much of your mind, baby
Cause in this life
Things are much harder than in the afterworld
In this life
You're on your own

I emailed Maddmaster some corrections to his list. He's doing a great job keeping track of them all, but might not be familiar with all of the selections, so to make his job easier, please submit songs in this format: 'Song Name Here', by Artist Name Here on "Album Name Here" with the punctuation, so he can put them on the list. The management thanks you for your cooperation. Have a pleasant evening.

• Thank You 1

Prince - Lets Go Crazy - Purple Rain LP

Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today
To get through this thing called "life"
Electric word, life
It means forever and that's a mighty long time

But I'm here to tell you

There's something else

The afterworld

A world of never ending happiness

You can always see the sun, day or night

So when you call up that shrink in Beverly Hills

You know the one, Dr. Everything'll-Be-Alright

Instead of asking him how much of your time is left

Ask him how much of your mind, baby

Cause in this life

Things are much harder than in the afterworld

In this life

You're on your own

Are we starting a Terrible Songs CD?
  • Thank You 1

I just thought the lead-in was fitting to his life story, and a CD of passed artists. I'm not a huge fan of Prince's music. The song "Let's Go Crazy" charted #1 on all 3 US charts (Pop, R&B, Dance); so that's why I suggested it. If there are other songs that would be better for a reference disc then please, post your top picks. There were no posts in reference to Prince and I did not want his music to be forgotten.

I just thought the lead-in was fitting to his life story, and a CD of passed artists. I'm not a huge fan of Prince's music. The song "Let's Go Crazy" charted #1 on all 3 US charts (Pop, R&B, Dance); so that's why I suggested it. If there are other songs that would be better for a reference disc then please, post your top picks. There were no posts in reference to Prince and I did not want his music to be forgotten.
There are a lot of artists on the list for 2016. Not all of them will be represented here. Was Prince a significant artist? I have to say "Yes". Is he on any of my playlists? No. If there are a good number of members who listen to Prince as regularly as, say, Frank Zappa, then I will second that nomination. So I ask- Who willingly listens to Prince's music on a regular basis? 

In fact, let's just go with artists we lost in 2016. Bowie, Cohen, Prince... I think we can come up with a dozen call it "In Memoriam, 2016"...

If there is no Prince song suitable for a C! Reference CD of 2016 artists who have passed; then should we be considering music he wrote for other artists to perform?

BB King (AKA King of the Blues) passed in 2015, should he be included here?

In fact, let's just go with artists we lost in 2016. Bowie, Cohen, Prince... I think we can come up with a dozen call it "In Memoriam, 2016"...

If there is no Prince song suitable for a C! Reference CD of 2016 artists who have passed; then should we be considering music he wrote for other artists to perform?

BB King (AKA King of the Blues) passed in 2015, should he be included here?
Ya got me!

OK, There is ONE Prince song I could live with, actually- 'Sign o' theTimes' by 13px-Prince_logo.svg.png on his 1987 "Sign o' the Times" album.

The list is getting long. My proposal is we cut it off at midnight Saturday the 21st. I will post a final request list and then everyone votes on the tracks. Depending on the final number of tracks will determine how many votes each of us gets to use. Any other suggestions how we should handle it?