itchitch

Nothing like making more work for myself....

Was thinking the same thing LT!

Hey itch, looking good, have you thought about taking faceplate measurements while disassembled!

I was thinking a black faceplate with built in handles would match the rest of my rack!

BarryG

Holy cow, that's an interesting idea.  Milling an entire replacement faceplate, with or without rack handles, and in black.

Quick dimensions with a caliper is all that would take. 
  • Thank You 1

Stickers

The plastic caps act as a washer and protect the finish...

Thanks, ItchItch. I have a 500t that came all 'screwed' up. Using #8 screw cover, it is now closer to the original.

g8C8g0Z.jpg X7N39J2.jpg

Stickers

Was thinking the same thing LT!

Hey itch, looking good, have you thought about taking faceplate measurements while disassembled!

I was thinking a black faceplate with built in handles would match the rest of my rack!

BarryG
Holy cow, that's an interesting idea. Milling an entire replacement faceplate, with or without rack handles, and in black.
Quick dimensions with a caliper is all that would take.
In all seriousness, it has crossed my mind. BUT, I have asked a ton of people for the Carver "artwork" and nobody seems to have any. I have some friends who said they can do the silkscreen if I can get them a very high resolution sample. It's what they require when you have your company logo placed on golf balls or letterhead etc. Itch

BUT, I have asked a ton of people for the Carver "artwork" and nobody seems to have any. I have some friends who said they can do the silkscreen if I can get them a very high resolution sample. It's what they require when you have your company logo placed on golf balls or letterhead etc.

Itch

From the photo of the 500t front panel in your photo collection, can a HR photograph be generated for the silk-screen input?

20170220154629420.jpg 

Stickers

You don't need the actual artwork but you do need to know the name of the font and size of the type.
I submitted this scan of the Carver logo to WhatTheFont and IdentiFont and the closest match was ITC Tiffany.
Someone more familiar with typefaces like a graphics designer should be able to nail it down. 

20170225204122159.jpg 

ITC Tiffany

ITC Tiffany

Designer: Edward Benguiat

Year: 1974, 1981

Copyright: ITC

Publishers: Adobe and ITC

Influenced by:

Caxton Light
Ronaldson

Buy this font online from:

MyFonts:
http://www.myfonts.com/

FontShop:
http://www.fontshop.com/

Linotype Library:
http://www.linotype.com/

Fonts.com:
http://www.fonts.com/

• Thank You 5

You don't need the actual artwork but you do need to know the name of the font and size of the type.
I submitted this scan of the Carver logo to WhatTheFont and IdentiFont and the closest match was ITC Tiffany.
Someone more familiar with typefaces like a graphics designer should be able to nail it down.
20170225204122159.jpg

ITC Tiffany

ITC Tiffany

Influenced by:

Caxton Light

Ronaldson

MyFonts:

FontShop:

Linotype Library:

Fonts.com:

I have done this as well but the artwork would go a long way according to my friends. Especially for smaller print such as the logo on our equipment. I have been meaning to contact the person from eBay who sells the etched signs. Itch

FULL RACK!

Three WRF M-500t mkII
One RichP (WRF) M-500t mkII
Two TFM-45's (Rolland Updates)

Love the TX-11b

The C-1 is temporary....

It was a lot of work but was fun to get (this part of the project) done.

Itch 

20170226145405451.jpg 
  • Thank You 8

I submitted this scan of the Carver logo to WhatTheFont and IdentiFont and the closest match was ITC Tiffany.

20170225204122159.jpg 

ITC Tiffany

ITC Tiffany

Influenced by:

Caxton Light

Ronaldson

MyFonts:

FontShop:

Linotype Library:

Fonts.com:

I have done this as well but the artwork would go a long way according to my friends. Especially for smaller print such as the logo on our equipment. I have been meaning to contact the person from eBay who sells the etched signs. Itch

It's a journey..., to figure this all out.  The reality is that the "CARVER" logo is really what they call a "wordmark"  That is, a graphic "trademark."  And is registered as such.  These are typically done by an artist tweaking a published font to make a purely unique design so the logo owner doesn't have to pay royalties or license fees for the artwork.  Three things jump out..., the top of the "C" is not the same angle.  The "C" is "joined" (touching) to the "A" and "C" in lieu of not enough space to kern the two capital letters close enough for aesthetics.  Likewise, the V, E and R are joined.  This (typically) doesn't happen using typefonts.  Typefonts are defined using of geometry, so they can be scaled.  Steve Jobs was hell-bent on this, back in the early days of Apple, and putting text on his first computer screens.

Since the CARVER logo was likely created before even early layout/graphics software programs were common (e.g., Adobe Pagemaker and Adobe Illustrator) the CARVER word art, and silkscreen templates were probably created on an artists drawing easel.  I'm not saying for sure - but to reproduce them accurately, that's probably the best way to reverse-engineer something that was created ~30 years ago with radically different tools and processes.

Having said all that, I have sent imagery (photos and dimensions) to a shop in China that was able to reproduce it quite well to make new templates/stencils. 
  • Thank You 2

Stickers

More info...  (TESS links removed - the searches have to be re-run)

If you go to the USPTO office's website, and use a system called TESS, you can search all current and dead trademarks.  Even the acquisition records for refiling and reassignments are up there..., it's a bit klunky, but I just dug through it. 

And found the original Carver Corporation trademark filing in 1983.  I was hoping that TESS might still have the original artwork that would have been submitted with the original trademark application back then - but it appears they don't have it anymore - or it was on paper, and predates when they moved things over to digital art records.  But, it is marked of the type "(1) Typed Drawing" which means it was art.

Interestingly, later,  you can see a 2009 registration for just the word typed: (4) Standard Character Mark "CARVER" (not (1) Typed Drawing CARVER of the 1983 filing. for a later audio company of note of the same name. 

• Thank You 1

Stickers

I agree that the Carver logo was probably "created", but it would have likely used letters from an existing font.
We used to do this type of graphics design work regularly when I worked at Naperville Printing in the late 70's.
In those days we printed the letters of the chosen base font as large as possible on photo paper in black on white.
Then we cut them out, glued them to index card stock with the desired spacing, and added flourishes with a pen.
The finished art was reduced to final size and a negative shot and masked to create printing plates for each color.

BTW: The USPTO links in your last post are broken. Apparently TESS searches are not saved and must be repeated.

• Thank You 1

BTW: The USPTO links in your last post are broken. Apparently TESS searches are not saved and must be repeated.

Thanks Dom.  Links removed, and comment added that TESS search must be redone.   

Stickers

20170226145405451.jpg 

Rack Update: 

Real estate is tight in my rack....
I really wanted to fire up the TFM-75 and 9t's.

20170730062500249.jpg 

• Thank You 2

Such a great pic Steve! --- Ooooozes sexiness with those 9t's and 75 in there.

I'm curious, are you using the 12v dc triggers on the back of your Marantz to start the power up cycle going thru the Panamax switchers? 

20170730075405345.jpg 

Very nice Steve. Have you ran the Plats with the 9Ts yet?

I did last night.

They sound wonderful with the 9t's.

Much better (to my ears) than the 75.

I was very impressed with how my new Hashy 1.0t mkII

performed with the Plats. Plenty of power for normal listening.

Just for fun I am going to use a 500t mkII on them tonight.

I'm curious, are you using the 12v dc triggers on the back of your Marantz to start the power up cycle going thru the Panamax switchers? 

20170730075405345.jpg 

I am not running the 9t's nor the TFM-75 through the Panamax.
They are plugged directly in to two dedicated 20a circuits.
I do run the Sunfire and one of the 500t mk II's through the 12v triggers for my home theater.
  • Thank You 1

A very respectable and organized collection of Carver gear itchitch, I’m impressed. Applause

I was noticing that your rack appears that its built into a wing-wall, do you have access to the back side via a back cabinet door?

I know what you mean about rack real estate. When I first dropped in my seven foot Middle Atlantic, I thought it was a cure-all, but that impression quickly faded.

I do not have back side walk up access and improvised by building an aluminum sub frame that my rack rolls off its base onto, but it’s still a pain and no substitute to walking right up to the back-side when switching gear.  Just wondering if you addressed that in your layout?

20170730075405345.jpg 

I do run the Sunfire and one of the 500t mk II's through the 12v triggers for my home theater.

Roger that, Steve.

For some reason, both of my 12V DC triggers have recently failed on my Marantz.  When measured with my multi meter, they put out about 2 volts.  Before that, it was a measly 4 volts.  I have since taken them out of the loop.  Did not know if your Marantz had the same issues.

Again, great set up. 

A very respectable and organized collection of Carver gear itchitch, I’m impressed. Applause

I was noticing that your rack appears that its built into a wing-wall, do you have access to the back side via a back cabinet door?

I know what you mean about rack real estate. When I first dropped in my seven foot Middle Atlantic, I thought it was a cure-all, but that impression quickly faded.

I do not have back side walk up access and improvised by building an aluminum sub frame that my rack rolls off its base onto, but it’s still a pain and no substitute to walking right up to the back-side when switching gear.  Just wondering if you addressed that in your layout?

My gear is accessible from the adjoining room.
Too many years of crawling in tight spaces so I built this:

20170731193723493.jpg 
 20170731193802355.jpg

It is not usually this messy... I will group and organize when I am sure of the layout.

Ugh... sorry about the BATMAN Villain view! (Nice rack Steve. I fixed the orientation for you. Z)

Itch 
  • That Rocks 1

I'm so glad you hear what I heard with the 9ts. I think they don't get the accolades due. The bass is the best so far for my system.  The liquid mids is what got me along with killer stereo imaging. 

• Thank You 1

I'm so glad you hear what I heard with the 9ts. I think they don't get the accolades due. The bass is the best so far for my system. The liquid mids is what got me along with killer stereo imaging.

I am happy I was able to finally play with them!

• Thank You 1

20170730175004915.jpg

Ugh... sorry about the BATMAN Villain view! 

Itch 

LOL… Looks like I’m not the only one with this landscape photo issue. Dom gave a good explanation and workaround for this problem in another post. Seems like this is something new with the CS image editor.

Take care and very clean set up. 

20170730075405345.jpg

Roger that, Steve.
For some reason, both of my 12V DC triggers have recently failed on my Marantz. When measured with my multi meter, they put out about 2 volts. Before that, it was a measly 4 volts. I have since taken them out of the loop. Did not know if your Marantz had the same issues.
Again, great set up.

Jack,

Have you tried a "reset" of the Marantz?

I know it's a pain because you have to go through the entire setup process again but.... it may correct the trigger issue. I have had success with soft resets but have also done factory resets for persistent issues.

Itch