Reference Disc/Memorial for Passed Artists (2016)

Maddmaster

It's time to put this baby to press and production. Here's the suggested rules:

- Everyone gets 5 picks from the list.
- You can use more than one of your votes for a track.
- Mark the track as R for reference disc or O for other
- Any track changes or substitutes have to be made by the first person that suggested the original track.

Saturday Feb 4th at 12 midnight west coast time all voting ends. I will count the votes Sunday and post the results for a final list.

When listing you vote use the format of track #, number of votes, and (other).R (reference) or O (other).

Track Song Artist Album
1 Children of the Sun Billy Thorpe Children of the Sun
2 Cocaine Blues Lonnie Mack
3 Devil In Jesus Eric Burdon Till the Rivers Run Dry
4 Double Trouble Stevie Ray Vaughn Couldn't Stand the Weather
5 ELP Benny the Bouncer
6 Fearless Pink Floyd Meddle
7 From the Beginning Emerson Lake & Palmer Trilogy
8 Gypsy's Wife Leonard Cohen Recent Songs
9 Hotel California The Eagles Hell Freezes Over
10 I Can't Give Everything Away David Bowie Blackstar
11 Jaco Jonas Hellborg Bass
12 Johnny Lee's Mood Backbone Slip
13 Long May You Run The Stills-Young Band Long May You Run
14 Man in the Long Black Coat Bob Dylan Oh Mercy
15 Memphis Monday Morning Bobby Blue Bland
16 On the Border The Eagles On the Border
17 Piano Concerto #1 Emerson Lake & Palmer Works Volume 1
18 Queen of the Wrecking Ball Candye Kane
19 St. Louis Blues Pete Fountain
20 Take it Easy The Eagles
21 Taking It Home Stanley "Buckwheat Zydeco" Doral Gone but not forgotten
22 The Hurricane Bob Dylan
23 The Pepperland Suite George Martin In My Life
24 Thunder and Birdies Flim & the BB's Tricycle
25 Tin Pan Alley Stevie Ray Vaughn Couldn't Stand the Weather
26 Toccata Emerson Lake & Palmer Welcome Back My Friends
27 Too Close Alex Clare
28 Under Pressure David Bowie & Queen Hot Space
29 Until I'm Dead and Cold B B King Indianola Mississippi Seeds
30 Walk a Thin Line Fleetwood Mac Tusk
31 Water Under The Bridge Pshychodots Pshychodots
32 Why Can't You Behave Cole Porter The Porter Project
33 You want it Darker Leonard Cohen You Want It Darker

• Thank You 5

Do we get 5 votes for R and 5 for O, or just 5 total?  Could we have a bit more time to listen to the songs on the list? Sorry I've been listening to other reference music lately tuning my amp.  (Super Bowl is on Sunday BTW)
Rock the Vote!party.gif
  • Thank You 1

Is anybody going to vote for a track or artist they've never heard?

Aside from my own submissions I have 9 of these tracks already, another nine I wouldn't care to ever hear again including every Eagles track. There was a time these songs were practically inescapable. A reference disc has two purposes for me; To present something sonically unique, to introduce new or otherwise overlooked gem recordings. It is not a place to rehash old standards in my view.

Curmudgeon mode off.

• Thank You 1

Do we get 5 votes for R and 5 for O, or just 5 total?  Could we have a bit more time to listen to the songs on the list? Sorry I've been listening to other reference music lately tuning my amp.  (Super Bowl is on Sunday BTW)
Rock the Vote!party.gif

It's a total of 5 votes. Thanks for asking. 

Rock the Vote!party.gif
Some of us don't celebrate "Stupid Bowl"jaw_dropper.gif
  • Thank You 1

• Community Admin
This is a cornerstone project of TheCarverSite!  I cherish the first Reference CD, and look forward to this one.

I enjoyed watching the suggestion thread - which I respect other's taste and selection of music, over my own wierd taste.

Having said that, I'd like to make a contribution to cover the project's CD duplication and distribution postage.  do we have a mechanism/fund for that? 
  • Thank You 2

Is anybody going to vote for a track or artist they've never heard?

Aside from my own submissions I have 9 of these tracks already, another nine I wouldn't care to ever hear again including every Eagles track. There was a time these songs were practically inescapable. A reference disc has two purposes for me; To present something sonically unique, to introduce new or otherwise overlooked gem recordings. It is not a place to rehash old standards in my view.

Curmudgeon mode off.

Your first question is the reason why I asked for more time to track down these recordings and listen to them critically.  I didn't just want to pick the songs I chose for consideration or the songs I've already heard.

I really don't think we need 3 Eagles tracks to remember Glenn Frey.  I do think we need one track with his voice as the lead vocalist.  Are we remembering Glenn or the 'Winged Bird'?  Many of the artists on the Memorial CD were very popular artists and as such we should expect songs that were mainstream unless, as you said there is something you know of that is a b-side gem.

The Carverfest 2015 Reference CD is exactly what you have described.  At first I did not like the music on it too terribly much.  The more I listen to it, the more I understand why Mark put those tracks on it, and I really, really like it now for a series of recordings to critically listen to.

There is a difference between what we have heard on the car radio all of our lives and listening to an original recording on a well put together audio system.  I'm hearing so much stuff in the music I never heard before, and the few recordings I suggested may be mainstream but they are also outstanding sounding, to me. 
  • Thank You 3

Rather than rush out a half ass disc/product I am willing to extend the time to whatever we need. So disregard the Saturday cutoff. I just thought we were closer to a final list. I will however tally all votes Sunday to give everyone a picture where we are.

I think it was a good idea to split these groups into reference disc and memorial disc…and, I have the same opinion as a couple others have voiced - the reference disc recordings should be just that - sparkling-good recordings that can be used as a basis or standard to test a system.

When I use the previous CS! reference discs there are certain attributes I listen for to see how the equipment is handling certain material as a comparison to other systems. It is a “known baseline standard”.

I remember when the previous disc material was being debated there was a discussion regarding why each track being suggested was reference material and why it should be included. I think that was valuable discussion, and knowing what attributes or artifacts someone was hearing/listening for in a specific recording made it all the more interesting a project.

Regarding the memorial disc… most of the tracks in the list above are already part of my collection. I, too, expected and was looking for more music that I am not familiar with - maybe the deeper and less commercially exploited cuts to say that these artists did more than just pump out mainstream cash cows. I think that would make the CS! second disc set stand out.

But, that’s just my suggestion – and probably worth less than two cents – even with inflation. I appreciate all of the effort and work you guys put into a project like this.

• Thank You 3

Listened to all the songs listed.

Very difficult to choose.  Fantastic entries.

What stood out to me for the only reference disc I own (2014 w/thanks to BarryG for the copy) the first time I played it on our system was the uniqueness, sometimes familiar, and breadth of songs which allowed me to both enjoy my system and at the same time get the "jaw dropping" factor when playing for others.  I was also proud to play it on a dealer's $300,000 system w/ the variety and quality of the audio.

Many songs on this list qualify for the above but I was able to narrow it down to 5 which (IMHO) easily stood out for a 2017 reference disc based upon the comments above.

# 6  "Fearless" by Pink Floyd on 'Meddle' 

# 14 "Man in the Long Black Coat" by Bob Dylan on 'Oh Mercy'

# 23 "The Pepperland Suite" by George Martin on 'In My Life'

# 29 "Until I'm Dead & Cold" by BB King on 'Indianola Mississippi Seeds' 

and finally

#33 "You Want it Darker" by Leonard Cohen on 'You want it Darker'

Runner's up if there is room
17, 30, 28, 25, 7, 9, 13, 15, 24, 8, 10 in order of preference for the reference Big Grin
  • Thank You 3

This is a cornerstone project of TheCarverSite!  I cherish the first Reference CD, and look forward to this one.

I enjoyed watching the suggestion thread - which I respect other's taste and selection of music, over my own wierd taste.

Having said that, I'd like to make a contribution to cover the project's CD duplication and distribution postage.  do we have a mechanism/fund for that? 

I don't think anything is setup. Thanks for the thought. 
  • Thank You 1

Update: 

I have a running count of the votes. There are two I marked but are not counted because they didn't determine whether Reference or Other. There are more tracks than space.  LOL

There were a few comments that female vocal tracks are non existent in the list. That's not a huge deal for me since I prefer mainly non vocals. An example for me is the first reference disc. Most of the tracks on disc 1 were vocals.  If I could have removed the vocals of some they were more enjoyable. However, it's for the group so it's for all of you to decide and vote. Just my opinion.  14.gif