I like Jazz but need some help with buying some please........

stevenlevel

I have found that now that I'm back into vinyl in a huge way that I would love to have a couple of good jazz records.

The problem is I have no clue what is considered Classic jazz like I know Classic rock. 

Can you guys that enjoy Jazz please just give me a few available records that would be considered great Jazz that are available on new 180 to 200 gram weight vinyl?

Thanks I'm sure there are a bunch of good Jazz records out there but I have no clue what is good or great.

I like female vocals as well so at least one solid female jazz singer would be great as well. 

Instrumentals: 
Jodi Proznick Quartet - Foundations
Grant Green - Idle Moments 
John Coltrane - The Very Best of John Coltrane
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Female vocal albums:
Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue
Melanie De Biasio - No Deal
Eliane Elias - Dreamer
Connie Evingson - Let it Be Jazz  (tribute to the Beatles) 
Natalia M. King - Bluezzin T'ill Dawn
Diana Krall - All For You: A Dedication To Nat King Cole 

• Thank You 4

Wow thanks guys 

Now I have to decide which to buy?

What are the number one and two in your opinions if you had to pick just two? 

1) Anything by Patricia Barber
2) Jodi Proznick Quartet - Foundations 

1.Vanessa Fernandez - Use Me - 2x180g. 45rpm Vinyl it's a MUST HAVE !!!
2.Chie Ayado - Fifty - 1x180g 33rpm Vinyl It's a MUST HAVE !!!
3.Emi Fujita - Camomille Best Audio - 1x180g 33rpm Vinyl It's a MUST HAVE !!!
All these are Wonderful playing vinyls, and wonderful voices to listen to.
Good Shopping

• Thank You 1

1.Vanessa Fernandez - Use Me - 2x180g. 45rpm Vinyl it's a MUST HAVE !!!
All these are Wonderful playing vinyls, and wonderful voices to listen to.
Good Shopping

Excellent!  I really like Vanessa Fernandez

Between all the excellent albums mentioned, how can anyone pic just two??? 

Instrumentals: 

Jodi Proznick Quartet - Foundations

Grant Green - Idle Moments 

John Coltrane - The Very Best of John Coltrane

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Female vocal albums:

Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue

Melanie De Biasio - No Deal

Eliane Elias - Dreamer

Connie Evingson - Let it Be Jazz  (tribute to the Beatles) 

Natalia M. King - Bluezzin T'ill Dawn

Diana Krall - All For You: A Dedication To Nat King Cole 

As a totally non-jazz guy that got switched onto it by the Jazzman,

my vote goes to

Kind of Blue

Cafe Blue

But God, seems a crime to leave out Diana Krall

You're right this is difficult! 

Don't limit yourself to "audiophile" pressings. Most of the great classic jazz albums of the 50's were mono recordings that were re-issued in simulated stereo. My opinion is that the original mono pressings sound better.

• Thank You 1

Thanks guys I'll buy two and if I like them like I know I will I'll gladly buy more. I guess I should have asked you all to mention your top 5 or 6.

I know if you said to pick to Classic rock vinyl records I could never cut it down to just two.

Although "Dire Straits" "Brothers In Arms" is a double 180 gram 33 1/3 that is a half speed remaster and is probably my favorite purchase in vinyl. I use it all the time to show off how great vinyl really sounds when it's all set up right and since I bought the Denon DL-103 I'll never buy a MM cartridge again.

I have seen the 180 Gram weight 45 RPM double LP's and wondered how they actually sounded. I have mentioned this to others and they think I'm crazy when I say twin LPs at 45 RPM speed.

I almost bought Fleetwood Mac "Rumors" in that format but thought it was a mistake so bought the original instead.

Billy Joel has the same double 45 RPM for Piano Man and 52nd Street. I guess I'll try the one you mentioned and try out the twin 45 RPM records. Although, any warp at that speed will be greatly exaggerated, correct? 

Don't limit yourself to "audiophile" pressings. Most of the great classic jazz albums of the 50's were mono recordings that were re-issued in simulated stereo. My opinion is that the original mono pressings sound better.

Yeah, but where can I find them? I would prefer not to drop $50 on every record and these average about $50 each at Sound Stage Direct which is where I buy the majority of my vinyl.

I tired Music Direct and didn't like the way they packaged the records with standard paper sleeves. I also have to pay tax when I buy from them as they are located in I.L. 

If anyone knows of any other good record stores besides Sound Stage Direct I'm all for that as well. Thumb up

Yeah, but where can I find them? I would prefer not to drop $50 on every record and these average about $50 each at Sound Stage Direct which is where I buy the majority of my vinyl.

I tired Music Direct and didn't like the way they packaged the records with standard paper sleeves. I also have to pay tax when I buy from them as they are located in I.L. 

If anyone knows of any other good record stores besides Sound Stage Direct I'm all for that as well. Thumb up

Record stores are almost always expensive (blame the resurgent popularity of vinyl) but there are alternatives. Last weekend I found a Lee Morgan - Lee-Way (Blue Note 4034) at a neighborhood yard sale for $1. Cover was faded but the LP was pristine. At a vintage record store you'd probably have to pay well over $100 for it.

1.Vanessa Fernandez - Use Me - 2x180g. 45rpm Vinyl it's a MUST HAVE !!!
All these are Wonderful playing vinyls, and wonderful voices to listen to.
Good Shopping

Looking for a hi-rez download of that Vanessa Fernandez album... a poor quality ITunes download just doesn't cut it. Usually when I see an album I like I buy a used CD off amazon and rip it in lossless format for playing thru my digital server but that album deserves a higher resolution 24/96 FLAC file.

• Thank You 1