vinyl storage

mbskeam

I use the Ikea version and love them.  I added a pc of 1/4 round approx 12" back to allow me to push the albums up against.  

What little ocd I have lets me keep the edges in line ;)

The problem I have is I alphabetize my near 600 albums.  As it grows it seems to force me to move and shuffle to accommodate.  Not a bad problem to have :) 
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2

Very nice shelving. Storing records vertically

beats the hell out of storing them horizontally which can lead to warpage but you'd have a tough time finding your selections in my music room. You've got George Thorogood in the G's where I've got him in the T's. As long as one is consistent and can remember their naming and sorting convention, I don't think it makes any difference. As your collection grows, this takes on added importance so one can quickly locate what they are looking for. I used to maintain an index but it is of little use to me now as it hasn't been updated for years. With 700 plus albums and well over 1,000 CD's this is a much larger task than I want to take on. Think of what it must be like to have a collection like Z's - this might even require hiring a "librarian".

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

• Community Admin
There's nothing like getting LP's organized.  The satisfaction of completing the task, the wonder of realizing how many LPs we have, and of course, the WAF improvement!  Big Grin

I use the Ikea version and love them.  I added a pc of 1/4 round approx 12" back to allow me to push the albums up against.

I have a few of the Ikea version of these too, in a couple 4x4 modules.  I hang mine up off the floor, from custom brackets I built to screw them into studs and support the weight of LP's.

My trick is to use a 13 inch section of those 99cent swimming "noodle" kids toy in the back to keep them aligned to the front edge of the shelf, and protected.

20170430051726307.jpg 

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1

Nice, you guys do awesome storage, I just use wooden crates on the floor.

I also just finished alpha my cd and album collection.....big task, must be a spring cleaning thing if we're all
doing it now.

I can also relate to the shuffle of adding titles to both collections.....today they'll be a bunch, its our version
of record store day here in Edmonton.....wonder how many I'll bring home?
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

I have a few of the Ikea version of these too, in a couple 4x4 modules.  I hang mine up off the floor, from custom brackets I built to screw them into studs and support the weight of LP's.

My trick is to use a 13 inch section of those 99cent swimming "noodle" kids toy in the back to keep them aligned to the front edge of the shelf, and protected.

20170430051726307.jpg 

Man, that's ballsy mounting those on the wall like that. Those modules look like 2" thick solid wood, but they're actually hollow, corrugated cardboard. I'd be afraid they would rip apart, which has happened plenty of times by just sitting on the floor!

At any rate, I too have one of these units, the 8 module one, also purchased from Wally World. I only have something like 400 albums at the moment. 

Back in my "pre-Carver" days... LOL
p2078826237-5.jpg

p1957957142-5.jpg 
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

• Community Admin

Man, that's ballsy mounting those on the wall like that. Those modules look like 2" thick solid wood, but they're actually hollow, corrugated cardboard. I'd be afraid they would rip apart, which has happened plenty of times by just sitting on the floor!

I'm known for over-engineering...

There's a 2x6 with a cross-cut rabbet and cross-screwed to the unit with 14" specialty screws made for doing things like this (full-length threads), designed as the bracket to hold it to the wall, and a 2x3 with a full-length rabbet as the "ledge" to hold the bottom.  It's the dimension of the rabbet allows it to be spaced away from teh wall to lay over the chair rail trim.

I also inject a "fixer" in the holes, to glue the screws in that "softer" inside to the shelve unit.  That fixer has a hardening effect on that core material.

Ballsy, yes.  Well designed? That too. Before loading it with vinyl, I hung on it full weight (200+ lbs... Whistle )  didn't even flex.

Thanks for bringing it up, Chops. I don't want to set a bad example.

That crappy little "L" bracket they ship with the unit is an accident waiting to happen.  From living in Earthquake country in the 80's and 90's, I learned to screw all my furniture to the wall - and because I also had small kids, we just got in the habit. 

• Thank You 1

An electronic cataloging system may be a better living-breathing solution for search ability.

Storage can also be automated, but can be elaborate and expensive. 

Thanks for the pictures. Beautiful arrangements.  

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine just gave me a set of plywood to build a record bin. His came out very nice. I'm going to use a Kreg pocket hole jig to build mine to eliminate any screws being seen from the outside. 

At the link below is a very long discussion with many bin versions being discussed.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/record-bin-from-single-4-x-8-sheet-of-plywood-plans.337891/

I got 4 of the 3 hole shelves like mksbeam used. Stacked them 4 high. Put metal straps at each end joint in the back to tie them together. Then anchored the top to the wall.

Filled all but 1 hole.

I'd rather have built a nice set, but these were quick and relatively cheap. I'd been using a milk crate type crate stacked 2 high and after 10 years they had started to say angel lean. Got home one night and one had dumped. 

On 6/24/2020 at 6:40 PM, Packratt said:

Couple of you mentioned needing something to keep a list.

Take a look at collectorz.com. I use their book, dvd, and music software.

I've been using collectorz over 10 years and love it. CD's and DVD's are so easily found and never need to alphabetize them on a shelf. I just give each an index number that matches the collectorz software.

• Thank You 1

To those using the Wally World / Ikea shelves as I do, I think they are designed to hold this kind of weight standing 2 wide 4 tall, might not ever be a problem but something to think about ??????? 

Edited by 4RUNNER
  • That Rocks 1

1 hour ago, 4RUNNER said:

To those using the Wally World / Ikea shelves as I do, I think they are designed to hold this kind of weight standing 2 wide 4 tall, might not ever be a problem but something to think about ??????? 

Have any pictures?

5 hours ago, 4RUNNER said:

I wouldn't trust them if I had the weight on the thin shelves. The way mbskeam and I have them there is 4z the material taking the load.

7 hours ago, Maddmaster said:

I've been using collectorz over 10 years and love it. CD's and DVD's are so easily found and never need to alphabetize them on a shelf. I just give each an index number that matches the collectorz software.

I've been using it 15-20. Its probably been 10 since I last upgraded it. I took a look to see if they were still around and see they have gone to an annual subscription type of business model This would be a deal breaker to me. I'm a firm believer in owning not renting software.

• Thank You 1

19 hours ago, Maddmaster said:

Have any pictures?

aIMG_1492.thumb.JPG.f663fbd53f75fc45abba7d0f008fe0ed.JPG

Each shelf is supported by a center upright and dowels on each end, turned the other way the upper shelf is only held by 4 dowels drilled into the shelf so about 1/8" of press board holding around 75 records. Doubt they will ever fail but something to think about. I have 2 in my room they need to be standing up so never thought of laying them down I also added 3/16 plywood glued and stapled to the back and each shelf.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

On 7/17/2020 at 5:54 AM, Packratt said:

I've been using it 15-20. Its probably been 10 since I last upgraded it. I took a look to see if they were still around and see they have gone to an annual subscription type of business model This would be a deal breaker to me. I'm a firm believer in owning not renting software.

The annual subscription is to continue getting the upgrades as they improve it and/or fix bugs. The software will still work without the subscription. The days of owning the software are at an end. Companies realized they can better control the hacks and copying/sharing the software by not printing disc and manuals anymore. Also with everything changing to Apps makes it more cost effective for them. Our loss.

• Community Admin
13 hours ago, Maddmaster said:

The annual subscription is to continue getting the upgrades as they improve it and/or fix bugs. The software will still work without the subscription. The days of owning the software are at an end. Companies realized they can better control the hacks and copying/sharing the software by not printing disc and manuals anymore. Also with everything changing to Apps makes it more cost effective for them. Our loss.

I lived through this..., the additional factor was that early in "software upgrade" on perpetual licensing schemes, users would get complete rewrites of value, for $10? $20? ... and, the investment in R&D (think of the salaries paid) became unsustainable.  Many top software companies died with this burden in the 90's, and first decade of this century because they did not make the transition.  Then, perpetual license users were left high and dry, with nothing, as hackers made older software versions HUGE vulnerabilities...

... the list of issues that software makers had to "engineer" and "innovate."  ...just pointing that out.

Some, even Greg, may disagree, but an analogy would be (in my mind) if I wanted Greg to take my three MKII Opt2 m1.02's that he did for me before Nelion was started, and expect him to do all his new perfections for and all the cool innovations he's done like the micro-boards he now makes and installs in today's MkII mods, in my 3 amps, for low cost, or no cost..., just because he did the work in the past.  I don't have that expectation.   His engineering innovations over the original RickP design is worth the R&D he invested, and I should pay for it.

...just another perspective to ponder.

The way I read it was the subscription kept the software useable or the actual software is online only, like Adobe acrobat, and you had to pay the subscription to use it. 

You never got lifetime updates with the collectorz software when I bought it. You got 1 free year of updates. After that year you could continue to use the software version you bought, as long as you wanted to, or wait until a future version with additional features you wanted came out and buy that upgrade at a discount off new.

• Community Admin
38 minutes ago, Packratt said:

The way I read it was the subscription kept the software useable or the actual software is online only, like Adobe acrobat, and you had to pay the subscription to use it. 

You never got lifetime updates with the collectorz software when I bought it. You got 1 free year of updates. After that year you could continue to use the software version you bought, as long as you wanted to, or wait until a future version with additional features you wanted came out and buy that upgrade at a discount off new.

There are very very very wide variations on licensing, for sure - no one generalization works for all..., 

I just wanted to share something to ponder... 😉