mbskeam

vinyl storage

I use the Ikea version and love them.  I added a pc of 1/4 round approx 12" back to allow me to push the albums up against.  

What little ocd I have lets me keep the edges in line ;)

The problem I have is I alphabetize my near 600 albums.  As it grows it seems to force me to move and shuffle to accommodate.  Not a bad problem to have :) 
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Very nice shelving. Storing records vertically

beats the hell out of storing them horizontally which can lead to warpage but you'd have a tough time finding your selections in my music room. You've got George Thorogood in the G's where I've got him in the T's. As long as one is consistent and can remember their naming and sorting convention, I don't think it makes any difference. As your collection grows, this takes on added importance so one can quickly locate what they are looking for. I used to maintain an index but it is of little use to me now as it hasn't been updated for years. With 700 plus albums and well over 1,000 CD's this is a much larger task than I want to take on. Think of what it must be like to have a collection like Z's - this might even require hiring a "librarian".

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Stickers

There's nothing like getting LP's organized.  The satisfaction of completing the task, the wonder of realizing how many LPs we have, and of course, the WAF improvement!  Big Grin

I use the Ikea version and love them.  I added a pc of 1/4 round approx 12" back to allow me to push the albums up against.

I have a few of the Ikea version of these too, in a couple 4x4 modules.  I hang mine up off the floor, from custom brackets I built to screw them into studs and support the weight of LP's.

My trick is to use a 13 inch section of those 99cent swimming "noodle" kids toy in the back to keep them aligned to the front edge of the shelf, and protected.

20170430051726307.jpg 

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

Nice, you guys do awesome storage, I just use wooden crates on the floor.

I also just finished alpha my cd and album collection.....big task, must be a spring cleaning thing if we're all
doing it now.

I can also relate to the shuffle of adding titles to both collections.....today they'll be a bunch, its our version
of record store day here in Edmonton.....wonder how many I'll bring home?
  • Thank You 1

I have a few of the Ikea version of these too, in a couple 4x4 modules.  I hang mine up off the floor, from custom brackets I built to screw them into studs and support the weight of LP's.

My trick is to use a 13 inch section of those 99cent swimming "noodle" kids toy in the back to keep them aligned to the front edge of the shelf, and protected.

20170430051726307.jpg 

Man, that's ballsy mounting those on the wall like that. Those modules look like 2" thick solid wood, but they're actually hollow, corrugated cardboard. I'd be afraid they would rip apart, which has happened plenty of times by just sitting on the floor!

At any rate, I too have one of these units, the 8 module one, also purchased from Wally World. I only have something like 400 albums at the moment. 

Back in my "pre-Carver" days... LOL
p2078826237-5.jpg

p1957957142-5.jpg 
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Man, that's ballsy mounting those on the wall like that. Those modules look like 2" thick solid wood, but they're actually hollow, corrugated cardboard. I'd be afraid they would rip apart, which has happened plenty of times by just sitting on the floor!

I'm known for over-engineering...

There's a 2x6 with a cross-cut rabbet and cross-screwed to the unit with 14" specialty screws made for doing things like this (full-length threads), designed as the bracket to hold it to the wall, and a 2x3 with a full-length rabbet as the "ledge" to hold the bottom.  It's the dimension of the rabbet allows it to be spaced away from teh wall to lay over the chair rail trim.

I also inject a "fixer" in the holes, to glue the screws in that "softer" inside to the shelve unit.  That fixer has a hardening effect on that core material.

Ballsy, yes.  Well designed? That too. Before loading it with vinyl, I hung on it full weight (200+ lbs... Whistle )  didn't even flex.

Thanks for bringing it up, Chops. I don't want to set a bad example.

That crappy little "L" bracket they ship with the unit is an accident waiting to happen.  From living in Earthquake country in the 80's and 90's, I learned to screw all my furniture to the wall - and because I also had small kids, we just got in the habit. 

• Thank You 1

Stickers

An electronic cataloging system may be a better living-breathing solution for search ability.

Storage can also be automated, but can be elaborate and expensive. 

Thanks for the pictures. Beautiful arrangements.  

Stickers

Couple of you mentioned needing something to keep a list.

Take a look at collectorz.com. I use their book, dvd, and music software.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1