Stereo_dog's Main System

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, was having a bad picture day, yesterday. Let's see how this goes. I saved all the pics out as different file names, looked right side up on my computer... not sure what happened. That wor

Updated my entertainment center this past weekend. Wanted to post a few pics, but all came out upside-down... must be the I-phone. I'll try and post later.

It was all in the big oak cabinet, I'll dig up some photos and post. The ones on this site were from Photobucket, which my account is long gone.    You don't like my listening chair? In th

Posted Images

Now what did you buy Joe ?

You mean the preamp? It's a tube pre from McAlister Audio in Canada. Strictly two-channel. It will have phono input, tape loop, three line-level inputs, two outputs (for future bi-amping) and very simple, the front has volume, balance, input selector & a tape monitor switch. No tone controls, even. This guy's a one-man-band, and hand builds all his amps and preamps, so, it might be several weeks before I see this thing.

I've become a tube convert, but still love the Silver Nines!|-| |-|

Very nice, indeed, stereo_dog. i see there are lots of members with an appreciation for wood. did you build that cabinet?

Also, what antique books do you have on the top shelf? (just curious)

Very nice, indeed, stereo_dog. i see there are lots of members with an appreciation for wood. did you build that cabinet?

Also, what antique books do you have on the top shelf? (just curious)

Thanks. No, I purchased the cabinet from a guy in Chicago on Ebay. He had the cabinet built for him, so it is a custom cabinet. I only paid $500.00 for it I thought it was a steal.:D/

The books are two family bibles, both date back to the 1800's, and the third book is a passenger list, circa 1900 or so for an immigrant ship that came to America. Some family relation is in there, but I have yet to find their name. :-k

• 1 month later...

I was looking for that SX-1980 you mentioned in the welcome thread for Southern what do you use it for or is it a collectors item for you?

REGARDS SNOW

Right now it's carefully being stored in my workshop, but I'm in the process of bringing it back into the mix, I'm setting up a Silver-face period system with the 1980 as it's anchor. Pics to follow as I get it up and running.

PS: It's complete with an 8-track player.....|-|

Guest Southern

Very nice pics.

I was also looking for pics of your Pioneer receiver collection. Before I had my SX-1980 I owned the SX-980, ran them side by side and the SX-1980 put out more bass even at lower volumes.

What is your comparison of the Dynaco's vs Silver Nine t's vs Pioneer SX-1980?

Snow: I sent you an e-mail so that I can e-mail you the article on my homemade line level tube pre-amp. Let me know if you didn't receive my e-mail.

Guest nclh77

You are all over the place with that equipment, just the way I like it.

Love your AR's, very nostalgic for the AR9, 90 line. It was ahead of its time 30 years ago, and still ahead of its time.

Very nice pics.

I was also looking for pics of your Pioneer receiver collection. Before I had my SX-1980 I owned the SX-980, ran them side by side and the SX-1980 put out more bass even at lower volumes.

Snow: I sent you an e-mail so that I can e-mail you the article on my homemade line level tube pre-amp. Let me know if you didn't receive my e-mail.

Thanks. The 1980 is a beast, no doubt. I've got a 980, right now, also. I've never ran the 1980 side by side with other receivers, but out of all the Pioneer SX's I own, I almost think the SX-1250 is the best sounding. Not sure though, I've never A/B'd any of them.

When it comes to the Dynacos, Nines and 1980, you really have three distinct beasts. The Dynacos are the warmest sounding of the group, very revealing, very pleasant sound to my ears, anyway. The Nines just have that raw power that can't be described, I feel that they are very revealing, also, and have the ability to handle the AL-III's and sound awesome even at low volumes. The SX-1980 also has awesome power, but in that 70's sort of way, very authoratative, but not nearly as revealing as either the MK-III's or the Carvers. You have to remember, in its day, the 1980 was pushing speakers like the HPM series, ridiculous power handling, but not the most musical of speakers. I use all three of them in different ways, the MK-III's are part of a strictly two-channel, tube-based system, pushing very efficient Altec speakers. The Nines are the heart of my HT system, pushing difficult AL-III's, and perform very well on movie night where the movie soundtracks can be very hard on amplifiers, they rock out very well, also. The 1980, it's just one kick-ass stereo receiver, doing most things very well, especially looking good. I like all of them for different reasons, but I wouldn't want to give up any of them.

I know that doesn't do much to answer your question, maybe I will set-up a massive comparison test in my spare time..lol!

I'll get photos of all my Pioneers and post, one of these days. I just sold two of them, 950 and 1050, but I have photos already of those two.

I can tell I'm tired, I've rambled too long.:ddd

You are all over the place with that equipment, just the way I like it.

Love your AR's, very nostalgic for the AR9, 90 line. It was ahead of its time 30 years ago, and still ahead of its time.

Yeah, years of pent-up yearning for anything audio would account for the need to "taste" everything out there, that's why it's so diverse. The AR's are nice, but I have to admit, it took me awhile of rotating them with different equip. to appreciate them. I finally have them mated with my Sunfire TG-III & Carver AV-705x amp and am fairly impressed. d:)b

Very nice pics.

Thanks. The 1980 is a beast, no doubt. I've got a 980, right now, also. I've never ran the 1980 side by side with other receivers, but out of all the Pioneer SX's I own, I almost think the SX-1250 is the best sounding. Not sure though, I've never A/B'd any of them.

When it comes to the Dynacos, Nines and 1980, you really have three distinct beasts. The Dynacos are the warmest sounding of the group, very revealing, very pleasant sound to my ears, anyway. The Nines just have that raw power that can't be described, I feel that they are very revealing, also, and have the ability to handle the AL-III's and sound awesome even at low volumes. The SX-1980 also has awesome power, but in that 70's sort of way, very authoratative, but not nearly as revealing as either the MK-III's or the Carvers. You have to remember, in its day, the 1980 was pushing speakers like the HPM series, ridiculous power handling, but not the most musical of speakers. I use all three of them in different ways, the MK-III's are part of a strictly two-channel, tube-based system, pushing very efficient Altec speakers. The Nines are the heart of my HT system, pushing difficult AL-III's, and perform very well on movie night where the movie soundtracks can be very hard on amplifiers, they rock out very well, also. The 1980, it's just one kick-ass stereo receiver, doing most things very well, especially looking good. I like all of them for different reasons, but I wouldn't want to give up any of them.

I know that doesn't do much to answer your question, maybe I will set-up a massive comparison test in my spare time..lol!

I'll get photos of all my Pioneers and post, one of these days. I just sold two of them, 950 and 1050, but I have photos already of those two.

I can tell I'm tired, I've rambled too long.:ddd

That pretty much sums up what I thought and have heard from others. I seen the ones you sold over at AK in bartertown very nice pieces =d>

Southern Yes I got your email and Thanks.

Have you tried using the SX-1980 as a amp only? using a decent SS or tube preamp?

REGARDS SNOW

Have you tried using the SX-1980 as a amp only? using a decent SS or tube preamp?

REGARDS SNOW

No, but that's an interesting idea. I have used most of my receivers as preamps, with an outboard power amp. I'm retiring my Dynaco PAS-3, soon, maybe a good time to try that out.d:)b

Guest Southern

Thanks for the description regarding the comparison of your amps Stereo Dog. I believe that you will like the sound of your SX-1980 using it with a tube pre-amp.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

That's a terrific assortment of gear you have 'Dog. Nice that you can hide it away too.
Are the drawers set up for media storage? And what became of the trio of M-500's?

Thanks, man. Yep, the drawers are for media storage, so much so, that I can't move the cabinet.... tapes, cd's, dvd's, sacd's, cables, manuals, etc. One of the M-500t's has been sold (actually two of them, I had four) and two are in need of some loving care, one has a little hum coming from it and one is waiting on new speaker terminals to replace a broken terminal.... I'm almost thinking of having the 500's MK-II'd.... They were replaced by the Sunfire Cinema Grand in an effort to "downsize" the amount of equipment for the center & surround channels.