Favorite Quotes

RichP714

• 2 weeks later...
I use quite a few in daily conversation, and unsure of the origin of any.  Here are a few:

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"There are 2 sides to every story, then there is the truth" 

For any cyclist and runners here (I am) " The hill eases off once we get to the top"

And my favorite when asked about projects at work  " All I lack is finishing" 

Paul 

• 1 month later...
here are a few that come to mind.

When you’ve done what you’ve done, you get what you got

Our judicial system and our American government is fraught with inequities.  These inequities are acts of terrorism carried out against our constitutional rights and the pursuit of happiness.

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic."

"Marriage is like a card game - In the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond. By the end, you wish you had a club and a spade…..

Men marry women hoping they will never change. Women marry men hoping they WILL change. Invariably they are both disappointed. (Albert Einstein)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
A few more Zappa-isms in honor of the late, great SteveFord:
A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.

Government is the entertainment division of the military-industrial complex. 

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST!

Interviewer: 'So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?'
Frank Zappa: 'You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

I think it's really tragic when people get serious about stuff. It's such an absurdity to take anything really seriously ... I make an honest attempt not to take anything seriously: I worked that attitude out about the time I was eighteen, I mean, what does it all mean when you get right down to it, what's the story here? Being alive is so weird.

A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.

If you’re going to deal with reality, you’re going to have to make one big discovery: Reality is something that belongs to you as an individual. If you wanna grow up, which most people don’t, the thing to do is take responsibility for your own reality and deal with it on your own terms. Don’t expect that because you pay some money to somebody else or take a pledge or join a club or run down the street or wear a special bunch of clothes or play a certain sport or even drink Perrier water, it’s going to take care of everything for you.

A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment.

In a fight between yourself and the world, always side with the world.
  • Thank You 3

• 3 weeks later...

"A photograph never grows old. You and I change, people change all through the months and years but a photograph always remains the same. How nice to look at a photograph of mother or father taken many years ago. You see them as you remember them. But as people live on, they change completely. That is why I think a photograph can be kind." - Albert Einstein

Two things my Father told me.

If you can't find the time to do something right, how will you find the time to do it over?

I never told you life was easy or fair. Life is pain, and then, you die.

“A purely subjective reaction to an audio product tells a reader only what that particular reviewer thought of the product when he ‘heard’ it in a given room, with certain associated equipment, at a particular time, and under particular conditions. Such an evaluation is bound to be highly personal and limited in scope.” - Julian Hirsch
  • Thank You 1

I remember a CES show in Chicago in the early 80s.  My partner and I were in a suite at a nice hotel listening to some Conrad Johnson equipment.  Bill Johnson was waiting for a "special" guest to arrive before he would begin his demo.  The room was packed except for on chair in the middle of the front row.  After about 20 minutes we had decided to go when a hush fell over the room and a old, slight man with a tweed jacket, Hush Puppies, a thin leather briefcase in one hand and a smoldering pipe in the other was ushered into the room and he took the empty chair.  Immediately the lights went down and an engineer moved to the front where he used a pointer to illustrate various "component" parts in a photo of an amp with the cover removed.  Then he stepped back and several minutes of "Jazz at the Pawnshop" played.  Then a pause and "Lincoln Mayorga and distinguished colleagues" started and finally a few minutes of "The 1812 Overture".  Then silence, the lights came up and the demo was over. Dick and I happened to be standing near the door.  When the little old man walked out we noticed "Stereophile Magazine" embroidered on his shirt and a name tag that said "Julian Hirsch".  He said something in a whisper to Bill Johnson and walked out.  That was the only time I ever saw him.  A lot of people believed him to be the greatest audio man of all.  Jim

• Thank You 1

• 2 months later...
“To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

– Thomas Jefferson
  • Thank You 2

• Community Admin
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
-- Albert Einstein 

(clearly, I don't understand a lot of stuff..., my explanations are always longer than necessary.)    Big Grin

“There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create. Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life.”  
- John Lennon

“It's being here now that's important. There's no past and there's no future. Time is a very misleading thing. All there is ever, is the now. We can gain experience from the past, but we can't relive it; and we can hope for the future, but we don't know if there is one.”   

- George Harrison

It's all now you see. Yesterday won't be over until tomorrow and tomorrow began ten thousand years ago.

The past is never dead. It's not even past.

William Faulkner 

When I think of my life I am stunned to think of how my values and opinions have changed.  I was brought up in a Catholic home where my family routinely disparaged minorities, denigrated other religions and forced their opinions upon us.  I was headed down that same path when I met Martha.  I attended an all boys Catholic high school, she attended Kalamazoo Central with plenty of minorities.  There were 75 boys in my class, 600 boys and girls in hers.  She made me take a whole new look at the world.  I came to understand that we are all in this together and that we were no more than a spot of mold growing on a tiny planet in a remote corner of a huge universe.  Our time here on the earth is but a blink in the age of our 4.5 billion year old solar system.  My ancestors were Canadian fur trappers and poor immigrants from England, Germany and Poland.  My boys and their children are my future.  Just as I learned so much from my Dad, I pass all that I can down to the next generations and try to help them understand science.  We are atheists.  I had nightmares for years growing up about my sinful nature.  Then, with help from Martha and some of my college professors and friends, I finally left that behind.  It is easy to see how humans evolved from earlier species for me.  I believe in Darwin.  I also understand how our ancestors came to look to gods for answers but we are growing beyond that now.  In a few hundred years I hope humankind will rid itself of that curse.  I sure have.   Below, my parents, Bob and Sherrie Coash.  Born 1927, married more than 60 years. Jim20140517050636796.jpg

• Thank You 1