Are Carver Pre-Amps worth purchasing

Good to hear that you enjoyed it. I struggle daily with traffic and the mass of people that Los Angeles so selflessly provides me, that when it's leisure time I tend to spend it with a little more elbow room. The wifey says that I suffer from social anxiety. I tell her that, given the option, I prefer not to be axxholes and elbows with a throng of unknown souls. That being said, let me know when you're back in the L.A. area, perhaps I can extend you some Yankee hospitality.

PhilDent.

• Thank You 1

I completely understand PhilDent, to the concert from Monrovia we parked at the Zoo to which took a hour, then to get the bus which took another hour to get to the BOWL- mental. Ok anybody who enjoys Steely Dan is a friend of mine.Thanks for your kind invitation, no plans of yet for the States. Was last out last February for the Art directors Oscars with my Scottish kilt on which was a hoot. If I have any plans I will keep you posted. For now Iam enjoying these wonderful posts getting to know the gang and the Carver way of life.

Joey

• Thank You 1

" For now Iam enjoying these wonderful posts getting to know the gang and the Carver way of life.

Joey"

Great words Joey !

This place is special.

Again welcome.

• Thank You 1

I completely understand PhilDent, to the concert from Monrovia we parked at the Zoo to which took a hour, then to get the bus which took another hour to get to the BOWL- mental. Ok anybody who enjoys Steely Dan is a friend of mine.Thanks for your kind invitation, no plans of yet for the States. Was last out last February for the Art directors Oscars with my Scottish kilt on which was a hoot. If I have any plans I will keep you posted. For now Iam enjoying these wonderful posts getting to know the gang and the Carver way of life.

Joey

Agree on Steely Dan for great test tracks. While playing with AC supply vs battery I'm using Steely Dan's - West of Hollywood, for the comparisons. Great song with a variety of instruments, recorded excellent. Great detail in the low end too, clear separation between kick drum and bass guitar, not blurred at all.msp_thumbup.gif Wife thinks I've lost my mind and keep repeating the same song.happy0009.gif
  • Thank You 2

Just checked EBAY. There are two C-19's listed in the $1200.00-15.00 range. Last time i saw a Sunfire Classic tube pre, it was at $1800.00

Functioning C-19's with good cosmetics sell for $800-900 but you can buy a C-1/C-11 for $250-350 or a C-6/C-16 (basically a C-19 without the tubed outputs) for $400-500 and run the outputs through a stand-alone tube buffer.

A stock Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Center/preamp sells for around $1,000. Units with the optional phono section are so rare that I wouldn't be surprised to have to pay $1,800-2000 for one. Note that there are only two service shops I'd be comfortable sending a Sunfire to for repairs - Flannery's Vintage Audio Repair and Hi-Tech Audio, Ltd. - and both are in the US (Pacific Northwest).