Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bean Loft Update & Thanks to members: 2017-08-12

So I haven't posted my loft setup in a bit, but I felt the need to.  Both to thank Ed (MorJet) and also show Mark (DaddyJT) I haven't forgotten his nice Karma years ago either.  There is also another piece thanks to Ar9Jim.

I drove 10 hours roundtrip last night to Grand Rapids Michigan to pickup 2 Salamander Synergy units I found on Craigslist.  Ed (MorJet) was GRACIOUS ENOUGH to help secure them for me last weekend, and I sincerely appreciate his help in doing so.  I also got to hear his Carver Amazings, which was the first time I got to hear them setup properly.  We chatted briefly, but as it was close to 8 and I had another 4+ hours home, I didnt stay long, though I sure could have party.gif.

The trip from a navigation perspective was pretty easy TBH, US31 North all the way to Lake Michigan and then Highway 194 to Grand Rapids.  A couple more turns and I was at Ed's. That said, I think I LITERALLY found every possible construction zone along US31 going from Indianapolis all the way through South Bend Indiana, up to Michigan.  I saw 4 MAJOR accidents, and US31 was SHUT DOWN for 30 minutes around 10:00 near South Bend for reasons I didnt ever see.

After getting the units home, I did some reconfiguration of them.  Mainly I swapped a door on one of the cabinets with a Media Drawer in my 2 section unit and then reconfigured a couple things.

While the Synergy system is INFINITELY configurable, its NOT the easiest to adjust over and over if you have equipment in the racks like I did.  These pictures were taken before I finally hit the hay around 4:00 am this morning.  Its not difficult, its just time consuming and really requires you to think things out.

I'm still not 100% content with the layout of the 4 racks, and the small bookshelf and drawer system by the window are going away as well, just didnt want to move them (or anything for that matter) by the time I was ready to take pictures hehehe.  I'm also not sure if I want to move the gear on the main rack or not to put the source devices above the Anthem.  The ONLY thing with that is that the Anthem's HDMI Output is fried, so right now I run all Audio/Video to the TV, and then Optical Out to the Anthem.  It makes things a bit easier rather than splitting the HDMI connections to the TV and a Optical Input on the Anthem, and then the Wii and Pioneer needing their own unique Inputs that then sends the video to the TV.  For now its set for at least a month because I dont wanna mess with it hehe.

The thanks for Mark is that years ago he Karma’d me (and some other forum members) pieces of his Laserdisc collection.  I was lucky enough to get both the Pioneer LD-S1 AND a bunch of discs.  I previously had another player (which is going to move to my downstairs setup shortly), and some discs, but Marks contribution helped fill out my collection.

Additionally Thank you to Ar9Jim for the C-1.  I have plans for it in the near future, but for right now its a functional display piece.

Thank you Mark, Ed, and Ar9Jim!

• Thank You 3
Here are pictures of the rack now that its got 2 doors.

Left side from top to bottom: HTPC running Plex for media | Anthem MRX-500 | APC H15
Right side from top to bottom: Pioneer LD-S1 laserdisc player | Carver C-1 Pre-amp | Nintendo Wii, Roku 3, Cisco Switch | LP's, Laserdics and Netgear ReadyNAS Plus backup/music server

The Speakers are Usher V-601's on Sanus Ultimate 22" stands filled with sand and spiked.  In the back corner there is a Outlaw LFM-1 sub on a Auralex Gramma subriser.

Speaker Cables are Furez 10/2 with basic terminations.  I'm looking to upgrade the binding posts to some Furutech ones in the next bit, as well as getting some black techflex, shrink wrap and some other stuff.  All of course from Doug of DouglasConnections (helipilotdoug here IIRC). 

The sub cable is a Belden LC-1.  All powercables are currently stock, but I'm looking to upgrade to Cullen Cable Red Copper ones in the near future potentially.

20170812091513605.jpg

20170812091548267.jpg 
 20170812091636880.jpg

20170812091713720.jpg 

20170812091746450.jpg 
 20170812091818976.jpg
  • Thank You 6

Very nice story Bean. Glad your trip was safe. Your C1 was my first Karma offering and glad to see it has been good to you.msp_thumbup.gif

Perfect timing. I was still within the window of being able to edit the original post, so I did eusa_dance.gif 
Fantastic Bean.  Those old laser disc players were the bomb in their day.Applause

Glad you made the journey safely.

Btw, do you have a really tiny miniature system in that doll house for your daughter?  Big Grin

Fantastic Bean.  Those old laser disc players were the bomb in their day.Applause

Glad you may the journey safely.

Btw, do you have a really tiny miniature system in that doll house for your daughter?  Big Grin

HA, nope I do not.  We are working on whittling down the number of toys they have, but that I'm sad to say will be staying lol... 

Both kids DO have their own Squeezebox Radio systems in their room though.  They allow me to play songs at night and control everything from my phone downstairs. As long as the software keepw working in the future they can connect headphones to them to listen at night, and also control what they listen to via the front panel.
  • Thank You 1
Speaking of kids.  I think your avatar needs updating.

You know its the truth when the person IN the picture goes "Dadyy, was dat me as a babbbyyy?  Dat looks like my binkie, I dont have that anymore, you an mommy thuw it way".... 

Pic is about 2 years old and I dont know what the best recent family pic we have is of all 4 of us hehehe....

That's a nice looking set-up Dan. I'm glad to see the S-1 living on - there's nothing more rewarding (in the Audio hobby) than passing unused gear on to someone that will use and appreciate it.

I can completely relate to the drive (pun!) to acquire more gear. I have spent more than a few days driving to acquire gear (Infinity Kappa 9, Carver ALIII, Polk SDA 1.2).

Stay thirsty my friends:-)

Thanks Dennis. That's one reason I haven't changed it.

Mark, it is indeed.

I'm gonna throw a movie on later tonight after I rerun ARC.

I also moved things around and it looks MUCH better!

This setup is MUCH more ideal.  I need to redo room correction, but I like it better.  The sweet spot is the entire couch and I think the results are much better already.

20170812141737419.jpg 
 20170812141826820.jpg

20170812141853898.jpg

20170812141925936.jpg

20170812142101502.jpg
  • Thank You 3

You are very blessed Bean--not because of your amazing system...but more importantly...because of your beautiful daughter.

Cheers!  Beer!

I 100 percent agree. She's pretty awesome (when shes not being bad lol) 

Very nice Bean! I'd call it "A Home Run" - you've combined functionality with aesthetics and practicality. It's got to be challenging to maintain a high end listening environment that's child friendly and it sure looks like you have hit it out of the park.

Your daughter is a lucky young lady to have a "Daddy" with a great sense of balance and an appreciation for her importance in the total scheme of things. Well done!

• Thank You 1