We have identified a problem with the site going down intermittently - a service ticket is open with the Host Company. Thank you for your patience. ×
trav0810

RIP Walter Becker

Very sad to read of his passing. I saw Steely Dan last year and just went to see Donald Fagen last week. Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands and I'm sorry that I won't be seeing Becker play with them again.

• Thank You 4

A loss of monumental proportions. Steely Dan is tied with Fleetwood Mac for my all-time favorite band. At quite possibly the greatest time for rock music in history, with an unprecedented number of truly great bands playing, Steely Dan still found ways to push the envelope in creativity, originality, and passion for music. Becker was at the heart of this, and will truly be missed

Rest In Peace sir.

When I arrived home today from taking my son to visit my mother for the weekend, I found that the copy of Aja on SACD that I ordered had arrived.

I'm listening to in tribute to an amazing musician. A glass of Scotch and Steely Dan. It seems fitting.

Another favorite from my youth gone. I must be getting old.

RIP Walter, you left us with some great music. I think that I will have to break out the special glass that my dad gave me and join trav0810 with some scotch and Steely Dan later tonight.

Remind me later and I will post a copy of the note that goes with the glass.

Steely Dan was played countless times at our college dorm-- and thereafter when I graduated.  My wife and I always enjoyed their sound and have many fond memories playing those hits on our Carver's.

Btw, always enjoyed this fact: 

Steely Dan — named after a dildo in the William Burroughs novel “Naked Lunch” Big Grin

Thanks for the memories and contributions to your craft, Walter.  We will miss your music and your avocado's from Maui. Cool Phones Cool

beckerobit2-master675.jpg

04BECKERobit-master768.jpg

What a curve ball: none can see the arc of life, but the emotional swing of this elicits a collective bow.  My wife, chiming in, alerted me to the news; the significance of her nickname, Aja, may not have for her (in past-college-time-play list) the Steely Dan sway that wells up for many of us but  it may well going forward. Deep bows of gratitude.

My heart is with you guys, just got the news reading your posts, Iam in shock.My intro to music was listening to Gaucho through a Carver Poweramp,My default for chilling in life is listening to Steeley Dan on what ever equipment I can get hands on.As a Scot mad about music and one of the highlights of my life was seeing Steeley Dan at the Hollywood Bowl a year and a half ago.Amazing band, Amazing records, Amazing sound,Amazing memories. Will be truly sadly missed,RIP Walter Becker.

Joey