New Guy From Cape Cod

Hi All!
I am John, older than dirt, and an audio enthusiast!

My first (and only) Carver was an MXR-130, purchased new in 1988. I had it for a number of years, and I remember having the output relays replaced a couple of times. I wound up giving to my ex in our divorce, but we have always remained friends, and it has come back into my possession. It at the very least needs speaker relays again, as I was told it only worked on the "B" speakers. Also the display is loose in the case. Sooooooo, it is going to become a project. As I am handy with my hands, and electronics to a basic degree, I will be doing the work myself, and will probably pass it on to my son once it is completed. 

My current system:
Pioneer VSX-1018K AV Receiver. (used for surround duties only)
Creek Evo 50 integrated amp, using the home theater bypass feature to replace the front channels of the Pioneer.
ProJect Carbon DC Turntable, with the Ortofon Red Cart
Squeezebox Touch for Streaming internet and network music
Tivo Roamio for DVR duties
Samsung Blu-Ray player
Energy RC-10 Main Speakers
Polk Center Speaker 
Assorted surround speakers
Rythmik L12 Subwoofer 
Currently in need of repair: Green Mountain Audio Europa monitors. (need tweeter replacement)
Pioneer KRP-500M Plasma monitor 

This system is not fancy, but provides me with a lot of enjoyment! 

I look forward to contributing to and enjoying this site!

Thanks
John 

Welcome.  I am very fond of the MXR-130 Receiver as you can tell by my signature line below.  There are several of us here who use and work on them so you have come to the right place for help.  

A member here "circuitsandconcepts" has an eBay store were he sells very good quality replacement relays.  I believe he still gives free shipping to members here.  Send him a PM or eBay message to find out.

Welcome John - glad you found us. We have a strong tradition of keeping the Carver gear going around here, and there is a ton of knowledge that is freely and enthusiastically shared with anyone that asks.

There are no "audio snobs" here that look down on someone's system - just a bunch of people that understand that the enjoyment of music and movies is the primary goal.

As for the "older than dirt", I'll quote my father-in-law - "getting old is better than the alternative...!"

Good morning John and welcome aboard!

I have an MX150 that had the same issues.
I replaced the relays and used double sided tape that is used for fabrics to stick the display back in.
Thats been several years ago.
I don't use the receiver much but that seems to be holding okay.

Welcome, we already a an OTD (old Texas dog) (older than dirt) so dirty John?? 
emwink.gif  Be sure to guard your funds, you may end up with a lot of Carver gear hanging around here.  

Welcome, John. The annual Carverfest gathering in Western North Carolina, just concluding, may be something to keep an opening for on your 2018 calendar. Until then, read, join the conversations, enjoy the music.

Wow, thanks everyone! Xavionics, that sounds like a great way to fix the loose panel.

I am going to take a look at it this coming weekend. One advantage of being in aviation and working nights is long weekends.

Pictures coming.

John

Hey John, welcome to the CSite forum...so glad you found us!!!

We love ALL things audio (& video) here and you have a tremendous collection.  Yes pics plz!

Hope you can stay awhile.   

...and welcome aboard the Carver Express! 

Image result for audio bullet train cockpit

Welcome John! I am glad you found us! We all love audio gear and especially Carver. There is a wealth of information here! Have fun browsing and ask questions!

As always! Turn up the volume, kick back, grab a beverage and enjoy the music!

BarryG

Howdy John, and welcome to the forum. Great to have you on board. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

When you get ready to post photos I suggest you avoid the "Attach files to this post?" option which has severe size restrictions and use the Insert Image applet which allows you to link to public photos, or upload files up to 14 MB. (If you plan to post a lot of photos we prefer you upload them to a free public file host like ImageTwist or Imgur and link to them.)
20141030074404420.jpg 

From there you can insert a public link or browse to a file on your hard drive.
20141030074556509.jpg 

Once the file has uploaded click OK, then click INSERT.
20141030074939422.jpg