Favorite tracks to demo new gear

Harryfan

Pink Floyd's "Delicate Sound of Thunder". I like to see if it conveys the ambiance of a live concert. 

Telarc's "Sampler Volume 3". Includes Also Sprach Zarathustra, synthesized organs, gunshots on the Banditen Gallop, lots of orchestral music, male and female solo vocals, and the Beach Boys. 

Classic James Taylor, and Dire Strait's "On the Night" live album for male vocals. 

The soundtrack from "Spawn" for handling high volume without distortion.  

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks guys, for all the suggestions.  I agree that being very familiar with recordings you use to judge equipment is important.  I would add Sheffield's "Leinsdorf Sessions", esp. Romeo & Juliet excerpts.  Thanks esp. to TNRabbit for mentioning Telarc 1812.  Still trying to decide if I love my M-500t enough to forsake the M-1.5t.  Thanks again.    Jack

Can't believe I haven't suggested this--Alison Kraus and Union Station, New Favorite (pretty much the entire CD).  Well recorded, both male and female vocals, small group w/ well-defined 3-D soundstage.  On a good system, they are in the room with you.  Great for hearing strings attack and decay.  Plus (on a couple tracks) you get to hear her doing something she really likes--singing songs that make you feel like crap.
  • Thank You 2

• 5 months later...
First let me apologize if this has already been discussed, but after searching here and on google I couldn't find anything.

Okay, so I figured everyone has a favorite track or tracks they like to use to demo gear or their own system.  Perhaps we can add some really good material to our own list of test music.

I'll start by saying that the Eagles Hotel California seems to work well for me.  I like the delicate plucking of the strings, the taping of the cymbols and although the bass notes aren't the deepest,  they do impact with authority with a precise attack.

I find the dynamics of Hotel California surprisingly good considering it's age. My version has been remaster so that may be a factor.

So what is/are your favorite tracks for testing?

Wow, that's a great list and reference discs!  I see why I didn't find it but I'll still throw out a...DoH!

Is that Ontario Rod that donated the lightscribe drive? Really glad if he's still here.

So what do I need to do to get a copy? Looks like a great reference set.

The LightScribe came from Rodney (Weitrhino) I believe.

There is another thread that spawned the whole thing, but I'm having issues with the site at the moment. The other thread has the track notes as well.

Contact Mark (Daddyjt) about the discs, I think he may have some other options for you as well.

This subject kinda made me laugh, remembering that back in the day (sometime between high school and marriage), I used to test out my speakers with the Frankenstein track from 'They only come out at night' by Edgar Winter. In some ways, it wasn't a bad track, and at the time I had some folded bass horns that made sure that you felt the low end.