dennismiller55

Carver TFM-42 (rebuilt/refreshed) "Sold"

I am offering a refreshed TFM-42 for sale.  I bought this amp on Craig's List about 6 years ago.  It did not work.  The repair and additional work was done this year.

This is what was accomplished:

• Repaired: Cold solder joints on amplifier card to power supply card connectors. I also reflowed other suspect joints in the rest of the amplifier.
  • Complete replacement of all Electrolytic Capacitors.
  • All applicable service bulletins installed:  Most to reduce hum and noise.
  • New 5 way binding post installed (I used quality post from Parts Express)
  • New shoes and pads installed on the bottom of amp.
  • Cover painted flat black.
  • Amplifier cleaned top to bottom.  There is no smoke or odd smells. 

I had a hard time keeping the dampening adjustment in alignment.  The trim pots are flaky.  So I decided to replace the trim pots with fixed resistors.  I used the right combination of fixed resistors in series and parallel to achieve the proper amplifier dampening in each amplifier.  Both amplifiers are balanced.  I think this mod will give reliable results for the life of the amplifier.

The cosmetic condition on this amplifier is poor.  The faceplate is scratched.  I did paint the cover flat black.   

Instead of posting a bunch of pictures please go to my OneDrive Online Picture Folder  to see this amplifier.

This amplifier sounds great in my system.  It cranks.  

Note: I do think this amplifier and the others in this series are not as quiet as other Carver amplifiers.  I have installed all service bulletins that target noise to include replacing the twisted input wire pairs with shielded twisted two conductor cable.  With my cd player selected (but on pause) and the preamp at full volume I have to put my ear right up to speaker to hear but the faintest whisper of noise.  No buzz.  This faint noise could be a combination of noise from my source, preamp, and this amplifier.  More efficient and sensitive speakers may be a problem.  
I don't think this is an issue but wanted to address it. 

I would like to get $600 plus shipping for this amplifier.  I will offer to members here a full unconditional 90 day warranty.  After that I will repair it for free excluding parts for one year.  Send me a PM if you are interested.   
  • Thank You 8

Stickers

The 42/45/4.0lime is my favorite series of Carver Amplifiers. Great sounding amp with plenty of balls.

Many here can attest to Dennis's workmanship. You can bet that this is a high quality rebuild. If anybody has been on the fence about buying one...this is a great chance.

• Thank You 1

I also complimented Dennis on his outstanding workmanship too!
No surprise to many of you who know his work. 

Carver363 just ask in PM, "Does this amp suffer form turn-on or turn-off burp.  I meant to address this in my opening post.  No this amp is quiet during turn-on or turn-off.  Thanks Casey......

• Thank You 1

Surely, there is someone that has equipment that they keep in a rack or closet, where Cosmetics aren't that big of an issue. But for some reason, in my experience, an unrefreshed amp that looks pretty will sell quicker and for more money than one like this that has been completely gone through.

If someone is on the fence about buying a new Hamp, don't miss out on this opportunity fellows.

I really wish I was in a position to buy this amp. The '42 is still my favorite black-faced amp. I'm committed to reducing my hoard to about 5% of it's current volume. L_T can attest to how big a project that is. Until I reach my goal, I will be off-loading a lot, with no more buying!

Looking at the pics, I don't think Dennis' offering looks that bad, with the work he put into it, it's quite a bargain.

I'm committed to reducing my hoard to about 5% of it's current volume. L_T can attest to how big a project that is.

Yes, I can vouch for the fact that it is indeed a significant undertaking.  

Stickers

No interest in a fully restored amplifier with my warranty.  Is this the Carver Site?  A gathering of individuals who walk, talk, sleep, and dream Carver Audio.   Yes, there are a few blemishes on the face.  So what!  Hide this homely amp in a cabinet. 

Okay, this is disappointing.  What can I do to motivate this sale?  What kind of incentive can I offer to expedite this sale.  I know.  I will change the sale to a fundraiser.  

So let's see if this will get someone's wallet out.  100% of this sale goes to the site funding.  I will cover shipping.   That is a full $500 to help Greg move this site into the next decade.   

• Thank You 10

Stickers

No interest in a fully restored amplifier with my warranty.  Is this the Carver Site?  A gathering of individuals who walk, talk, sleep, and dream Carver Audio.   Yes, there are a few blemishes on the face.  So what!  Hide this homely amp in a cabinet. 

Okay, this is disappointing.  What can I do to motivate this sale?  What kind of incentive can I offer to expedite this sale.  I know.  I will change the sale to a fundraiser.  

So let's see if this will get someone's wallet out.  100% of this sale goes to the site funding.  I will cover shipping.   That is a full $500 to help Greg move this site into the next decade.   

It's not homely. It has "character."

Dennis, I can't remember what the site ruling was before on this matter, but is it allowed for you to do a "raffle" style sale to raise funds? Like 20 tickets at $25 each? It seems like I remember something like that before, but can't remember if it was determined not to do that anymore or not.

• Thank You 1

This would be a perfect amp for driving a pair of polk SDA's! If I had not bought the 45 right before Carverfest I would take it, I do not have cash now! I hope someone buys this!

It's a great deal!

BarryG

I would LOVE to take this off your hands Dennis.......$500 shipped for this thing is an absolute STEAL!!!!! Unfortunately, with my 18mo in daycare and a new baby (babies!?!?) on the way my resources are completely drained :( If by some MIRACLE this thing is still available around Christmas time I'll have to delegate some of my Christmas bonus to bring it into the fold ;)