List of new Sunfire service documents

Ps, I as well found out Bill who has been serving Sunfire for many years does not take any new work and is planning to retire in 6 month.

So I'm determent to see if I may be able to track it down with some help :-)

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin

I'm assuming its an Ultimate Receiver here.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:15 PM, JTM745i said:

A.) Problem, Volume at 0db is Equel to-20 / -25 dB all across the board at all inputs.

Sounds like a problems in the settings.  Have you tried to reset the unit to factory defaults?  Page 54 of the owners manual.

It would be good to mention what IS working.  Lights on?  Sensible readings?  Tuner working?  etc.

B.) Opened the Unit there is a CPU fan but do not know if that only turns on under load like the older Techice receivers and if it could have a saftey build in if the fan is shot.

That's a fan to cool the amplifier section.  Only comes on when things get REAL hot.

Caps at Power supply C17 & C18

seem questionable, plastic ends are a little bulged.

Measure them with my Signstek MESR-100 V2 seems to be good, but flux all over.

I assume C17 and C18 are the big power supply filter caps.  Slight bulging of the tops may be normal.  Check the vent holes on the bottom.  Anything leaking out is bad news.

If you checked them in circuit, I wouldn't rely on the results.  I'm assuming the Signstek MESR-100 will measure capacitance.  You need only disconnect one connection on each cap.  Measure capacitance.  Compare with what's printed on the cap.  Unlikely a weak cap wold cause the volume problem you mention.

Flux all over??  Where?  Photo would be good.  Could it be leaking electrolyte rather than flux?

• That Rocks 1

WRF,

Hope you had a blessed 4th.

yes Sunfire Ultimate Receiver 

I'm sorry as I feel I was not very clear with my explanation (Im german that does not help lol).

A.) Flux = Meausremenrs do not stay study

B.) Caps I'm speaking of are not the largest ones. they are the next step smaller ones.

C.) Unable, how do I upload pictures?

D.) What is if a Cap is low value on the linear side of the unit?

F.) Nothing leaking no visual sign of anything getting to hot.

G.) This thing has 2!8 Caps.

F.) Speaker outputs measure 4.5mv

seems good.

I'm kind of worried recapping with out have specs to set the bios afterwords. 

Thank you so much for your feedbacks.

• That Rocks 1

Ps

Yes I reset it to factory 3 times.

Also checked mute button all good.

Everything works 100% besides low volume across the board.

I was thinking of first trying to update the latest firmware which I believe is not in this unit, ordered an RS232 to USB

• That Rocks 1

• Community Admin

Sunfire receivers are very complex.  Complex from a user point of view and complex from a troubleshooting point of view.

There are many different audio inputs on the receiver.  Some analog, some digital.  Some are processed through the DSP components, some are not.  In addition, there are line level audio outputs. and a multitude of speaker level outputs.

At this point, it would be interesting to test each one.  Testing may tell you which section of the receive is at fault and give you a starting point for troubleshooting.  However, even if you isolate the problem on one section, it will be a major challenge to actually fix it.

A bad cap is a possibility, but general replacement of all 218 caps will be very time consuming and likely to cause damage somewhere.  Best to troubleshoot first.

Even if you manage to isolate the problem to one section of the receiver, troubleshooting via message isn't really possible.  Depending on which section is at fault, you may be able to just bypass it.  I.e.  no DSP or not using the input connections that are at fault.

Good luck.

• That Rocks 1

WRF is absolutely correct. Fixing Sunfire or evn Carver equipment is not for the novice. Bill Flannery told me that I'm the only one outside his organization that successfully fixed a TGA7400 Amplifier. I have many years analog engineering design experience, and a BSEE. You can't simply poke around and expect to fix these pieces. 

On 7/7/2022 at 6:11 AM, wrf said:

A bad cap is a possibility, but general replacement of all 218 caps will be very time consuming and likely to cause damage somewhere.  Best to troubleshoot first.

Even if you manage to isolate the problem to one section of the receiver, troubleshooting via message isn't really possible.  Depending on which section is at fault, you may be able to just bypass it.  I.e.  no DSP or not using the input connections that are at fault.

I've had several Receivers I & II serviced by Bill Flannery over the years the typical "100k tune up" as he calls it has about 150 new parts installed very expensive overhaul IIRC Bill said he had to spend a whole day on the unit. 

Receiverslipre.jpg

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, survey_sez said:

Depending on the unit, a whole day is not alot. I spent about 20Hrs on a TGA7400

Bill has serviced Sunfire products exclusively for 15-20 years? He knows each unit like the back of his hand he has literally serviced 100's of units for me alone back when I ran my eBay store, such a great loss to the Carver / Sunfire community now that he is retiring. 

• Thank You 1

fyi - We fix and restore Sunfire and TGA7400's.

Sunfire's are generally over engineered in many areas, and look to follow a peculiar design philosophy that in many ways, doesn't work. ie - The amp sections should not 'blow up' like they do and the TDC with all it's grand filtering isn't designed to handle a fault either. So even a seasoned tech will not be able to find his way through the woods of Sunfire's madness (and it is truly madness).

Not for novices. 

Great amps when they work.

• Thank You 1

There not over engineered at all unless you're not familiar with Class H. An EE degree is helpful.  I fix all Sunfire as well as any other make/model Amplifier, Receiver.

21 minutes ago, JTM745i said:

JJPTKD,

Do you have a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver is that what the cap break out is for?

I'm not sure what you mean by "cap break out," I do in fact own 2 original Sunfire Ultimate Receivers and 1 series II Receiver, all have been refurbished by Bill Flannery but they are not for sale.  

17 hours ago, survey_sez said:

Depending on the unit, a whole day is not alot. I spent about 20Hrs on a TGA7400

I guess I was mistaken looking back at my post history here I guess Bill said two days on the bench that is a lot of parts to replace. I posted a picture of the repair slip just in case anyone was curious as to what parts get replaced for a typical "tune-up" from Mr. Flannery. 

Thank you, the list you posted must have not been for the Ultimate I Receiver as there are 2-150000uf 100v with max surge of 150

On 7/10/2022 at 10:23 AM, JTM745i said:

Thank you, the list you posted must have not been for the Ultimate I Receiver as there are 2-150000uf 100v with max surge of 150

If you're talking about the large blue caps Bill was replacing those at the time I had this service done (2014?) one because he didn't have any and two because Bob Carver had told him that they should last 30+ years.