How have your music tastes changed with better equipment?

Sk1Bum

With better sounding equipment, I've noticed a vast expansion of my musical tastes. While I still prefer classic rock and electric blues, I thoroughly enjoy some country, much classical, and much jazz. Music that would have driven me from the room a few years ago, I now sit and enjoy. 

With better speakers, detailing, soundstage, I enjoy a much wider variety of music. Either that, or I'm a going deaf old f@rt, and I want to hear while I can. Phones

I can enjoy all my music from my more than adequate shop system,  a boom box on a jobsite, or ear buds at the gym.  My taste have expanded over the last few years.  But I attribute that to streaming services like Spotify.  It has allowed me to try new artist and genres based on their recommendations.  I have always spent my fun money on new music but I could never afford all the new music I have experienced through online streaming.
  • Thank You 2

My enjoyment of listening has improved because of the better gear I have now.....grin

My tastes have not changed since I've gotten older, but I have discovered new (to me) artists that I didn't know about before within the genres that I've already enjoyed for years. And that's not because of better stereo equipment. It's because of the internet.  

It wouldn't matter if I had the greatest stereo equipment known to man with the most optimal room for that system. No matter how good that room and system would be, I still wouldn't listen to rap or country music.  
  • Thank You 2

Trying new music seems to happen much more on portable equipment for me.  The circle of music expands as I meet more people. CS has been very instrumental in trying new music as well. Threads like What are you listening to? always expand musical horizons. Equipment hunting and auditions are also a good source of music.

Carverfest has brought a lot of new material, visiting the cabins is an ever-expanding source of music and genres.

I am certain if CF had a RAP or Hip-Hop cabin, it would bring yet another genre to forefront.  Big Grin

• Thank You 2

Streaming has opened up a door for sure. I find in recent years acoustic instruments and vocals are more attractive then they used to be.

Not sure if its a better system or age, but I see beauty in things I had no appreciation for when younger.
  • Thank You 1

• Community Admin
No dictionary results were found. Please try another search.
See results for Bpressings on Reference.com

For me, it's a little more retro. 

I've been doing more, and more better, vinyl.  It's a two-track path. better hardware (turntable, cartridge) then better, and more better vinyl. Better pressings, Japan, European, varieties.  I've pursued dbx encoded vinyl, superdisc and mofi recordings along with good standard pressings.  Genres have always been eclectic since I was a kid - for example, digging Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man whether from ELP or NY Philharmonic.
  • Thank You 1

Can't say if it is the improved system(s) over the years or the years themselves. For sure a wider range of music and appreciation for well done recordings when they come around. I've thought it was the exposure over the years but maybe it is the system. For sure I listen to a lot more Jazz.

• Thank You 1