David H.

new m1.5t Smells like Cigarettes !!! and a Big Thank You for" Les "..

Hello,

I just received an new m1.5t and the smell of stronge cigarette smoke hit me as soon as I opened the box. This is the first time  I have had this happen. Is there a way to get rid of this smell. I am sending this amp to Les Wolff  at" Circuits and concepts", and was going to try and soften the smell , or get rid of the smell before having him upgrade it. 
Is it possible.., or should  I send it back?? The cosmetic are good.

P.S 
And a special "Thank you" to the  forum members for referring me to  Les Wolff  at " Circuits and Concepts " .  After being ripped off and disappointed for years, it was so Nice to meet Les Wolfe in person , and finally have a man who you can trust and has a love for working on the Carver amps.  He's so far has worked on and upgraded three of my Amps, TFM-45 , m1.5t, and  A-500x , I can't say enough good, and his work is flawless.  
David  
  • Thank You 9
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

If it were me, I'd first send it back. Why should you take the risk of causing damage resulting in repair bills, when the seller should have sold it for a price that reflected the condition? Ask for a return via e-bay and tell them you -might- consider a 50% discount so you can pay to have it professionally cleaned.

I agree, it really sucks to get something in that smells like an ashtray when you open the box. Lots of gear out there like this, unfortunately.

• Thank You 1

How was the price you paid?  If the unit has good cosmetics, and is restorable, and you didn't over-pay, might be worth cleaning.  The unit I have (from the referenced thread LT shared) has come along nicely with the baking soda approach.  It was a super bargain, with perfect cosmetics, and a working unit.  I got more than what I paid for - so it was worth the effort to deodorize it. 

Weigh all the factors, including the hassle.  Maybe try to get a partial refund, in exchange for decent feedback for the seller.   Remember..., Karma... goes round and round  Think
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

Did the listing state it was from a non-smoking home?  If so you should contact the seller and negotiate a price reduction or return.  If not you should have asked the seller before bidding.

Mark

• Thank You 1

Thanks Mark,

I’m doing that now, it’s going to take some time to get that smell out, it’s nasty!!

How do you dissharge the unit before I start washing it down!!!

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Hidden

Thanks Mark,

I’m doing that now, it’s going to take some time to get that smell out, it’s nasty!!

How do you dissharge the unit before I start washing it down!!!

Stickers

I know this is 3 yrs old, but I'm curious what you did. Did you just wait for the smell to dissipate? Or did you "wash" it with the electronics cleaner liquid stuff?

• Thank You 1

I also answered this in another post, But I used rubbing alcohol and basically rinsed off the entire amp, at first it was gross, a syrup type brown was dripping off the amp into a clear tube. I did this until  the rubbing alcohol was clear while rinsing down the entire amp, and  Until I couldn’t smell anything from the amp. It worked, The smell was so strong I smelled it while it was still in the shipping box, I had to keep it in outside ,

hope that helps.

Stickers

I experienced the same thing with a PreAmp I purchased. It really sucks. Smokers have no idea because it is not something you really can see. However, these two pictures show a difference in a piece that was in a smoking vs non smoking environment.  

20141224_173132.jpg

• Sad 2

I bought a Roland drum module with that issue.  It took a while but finally got the smell to acceptable.  I used alcohol to clean as much tar off as I could then i took it out side and let it sun bath the UV helps clear the smell.  I also put a small fan blowing air through it.  It was a royal pain, and took several days airing to get it to bearable now unless you shove your nose into it you cant tell. 

Bright side I bought is cheap, made a set of electronic drums for my son.

My favorite cure for smoke and smoke residue is ammonia.  It doesn't seem to harm faceplates and it effectively removes the sludge of the smoke.  Seems to work better than alcohol for me.

• Confused? 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Powerdoc said:

My favorite cure for smoke and smoke residue is ammonia.  It doesn't seem to harm faceplates and it effectively removes the sludge of the smoke.  Seems to work better than alcohol for me.

Careful on using ammonia.  I've seen it bleach out anodized hardware before and you may not notice it until you place a new, to you, piece that hasn't been cleaned with ammonia next to an old one that has.  Particularly on black faceplates, they will begin to look purple.

I use something called Nevr-Dull on anodized things.  I use it mainly on restoring my old muscle car parts.  But I found it works equally well on this old Carver gear too.  It's sort of a treated wadding and works great for this type of cleaning.  Oh, and it won't harm the finish or color at all.

Edited by Turbo
Added detail
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 3

Stickers