CD-Rs

SteveFord

I burn a lot of CDs and here's what I've found:

Sony (NO problems)

Memorex (tons of duds, avoid like the plague, the last batch was 60% bad)

Memorex Black (a few bad ones in the stack, say 5%)

Maxell (usually a few bad ones in the stack, say 8%)

Philips (occasionally a few bad ones in the stack, say 3%)

When I say bad I mean that they either wouldn't record at all, record all the way through or finalize properly.

Anyone else care to add to the list?

Wow. Are those all burned on the same units?  I had thought the coaster burning phase of CD ripping had tempered way, way back as the technology of the units themselves evolved...

I've been pretty surprised at the lack of coasters in the past 5-6 years.  I used to get them all the time -- didn't matter what brand the media was really.  I could count on 5-10 a spool.  Generic media could be as bad as 50/50, but there didn't seem to be a particularly bad member of the reputable names.

Things got much better when I started using Toast as the ripping application.  Immediate drop in coaster production. 

And further improved when I replaced the drive in the desktop mac I use as a music storage/graphic design with a pioneer superdrive dvd burner and I don't think I have had a bad CDR burn since -- using primarily whatever was on sale at the store: TDK, Memorex, Verbatim, Maxell etc.  I don't generally burn much faster than 16x though.

When I started collecting and burning vinyl rips to play on my main system some über audio geeks convinced me to switch over to that spendy Japanese Taiyo Yuden CD-R media because it supposedly has better 'writability' and a longer half-life.  I wanted to make archive quality burns so I bit.  The discs do smell much nicer than brands I used to use but other than that I'm not sure I'm getting the extra $10 worth out of the cake for them. And won't know for at least 20 years.  happy0009.gif

I suspect overkill though as they don't seem to perform any different, and I've yet to have any CDR I've Toasted go bad from age that I'm aware of... 

But that peach smell is really nice when you're doing a big burn session. 

• 4 months later...
I have to amend this as I just got a 100 pack of Sony CD-Rs and I tried ten of them with 9 failing to record anything.

This is very aggravating when you're trying to burn an album.

This was an eBay deal, the seller was no help and get this:

after a lot of futzing around I finally got the 800# for Sony digital media customer service which is an automated line.

If you're not using a Sony burner, the automated customer service line at Sony says to contact the manufacturer of the burner, says "Goodbye" and disconnects the call!

To think this came all the way from Taiwan just to piss me off...

.....Anyone else care to add to the list?

I have a Sony DVD DL burner on one machine, a Samsung DVD on another and the third is an Asus.  The Samsung and Asus were cheap (local computer store) purchases.

I used to burn CD and DVD's quite often; I haven't in awhile.

Back in the early days (when you had to remember to finalize or your player wouldn't accept it) I had quite a few coasters, but haven't had one burn bad or go bad in quite some time.

I use Memorex media (not well regarded here, but it works for me).

The only CD I've ever burned that went bad was a copy of an album by Jim Carroll for my step-father.  He'd left it in his car; I'm assuming the heat damaged or partially erased the pits after awhile.

I've burned quite a few CD-R's and CD-RW's simply using whatever burner is installed in the Dell Desktop...even used my external Memorex LightScribe burner with em too...I cant say that I recall having one that was a "coaster"...seems every one Ive done works just fine..and the only blanks I ever bought were Memorex.

FWIW,

At my work, we rent lots of CD-R units. Tascam and Sony are now the main products that we use.

We had a bad experience with HHB units not burning CDRs', we do not use them anymore.

We found out that when you burn at high rates, you can exceed the optimum performance of the CDR recording mechanism (substandard?). Thus severely shortening the life span of the unit and also receiving poor recording results. When we went to Verbatum disks, and minimum recording rates the problems were much less. Still not acceptable. You pop a high speed disk in, the unit calibrates to that, and tries to do something that it can not. Not to mention the quality of the medium. Give, take, quality.

I've been using cheap Maxell CD-R's ($11/100) and RiData DVD+R's ($17/100) for the last few years with great success.
I've only produced a few coasters out of ~500 burns and those were caused by eMule which runs 24/7 in the background.

I use only Verbatum for my CD-R, DVD +R, DVD +R DL blanks. I always burn at the slowest rate available and get very few coasters any more... when I do, it is almost always something with the computer because a reboot fixes it everytime.

Hey DR,

Look where the thread came from brother, the subject has nothing to do with MKII upgrade stuff, it is in the miscellaneous section.  Just another thread that this forum has for people to talk about stuff. Some people might want to talk about something that is not Carver related emdgust.gif (Why would anyone NOT want to talk about Carver related subjects eusa_dance.gif )  This forum is a good source of info considering all the diverse people that are members.

Just thought I would through that out there. That is all I meant.

Stay cool man.
billy

I use only Verbatum for my CD-R' date=' DVD +R, DVD +R DL blanks. I always burn at the slowest rate available and get very few coasters any more... when I do, it is almost always something with the computer because a reboot fixes it everytime.
[/quote']
Forgive me but what does burning CD's have to do with the MKII upgrade to the M-500t ??? eusa_dance.gifeusa_dance.gif

I too have used Verbatim`s to burn and have Not had any real problems either in the computer or my Pioneer burner. I ahve also used a few of Staples gold cd-r`s and have not had any problems with them either. However I do record at slower speeds justr to make sure.

I burn all the CDs I have in my car (both inside the cabin and in the CD changer in the front trunk).  I've not had any problems with either due to heat, but if you leave them on the seat, the light seems to screw them up.  THe ones constantly in the dark have never failed, even withstanding temperatures probably over 150ºF.

I burn all of my audio CD using data-type media on a PC that's running linux.  I've never used "audio" CD media or an "audio" CD burning appliance.  i've had surprisingly few problems.

some thigns i have noticed:

- memorex media used to be really good, but it seems to have taken a turn for the worse.  i recently bought a 100-pack of colored memorex CD on sale at tigerdirect and i've had far too many burn failures -- all in the certification stage.

- verbatim bulk media (the shrinkwrapped CD stacks without a spindle) works well, though it seems to have more occasional duds than i remember in their spindled CD packages.  again, the burn failure happens at the certification stage.  slowing down the burn rate doesn't seem to help.

- some players can be particularly grumpy when it comes to playing CD-R.  i have a 1980s Denon DCD-1500 that is very picky about whether or not it will play CD-R.  sometimes it won't play them, sometimes it will play them but i occasionally hear harsh graininess and/or static (like tape noise) on playback.  its not a problem on newer players that were designed after the advent of the CD-R.  my old 1500 was essentially designed prior to the advent of recordable media, so it has trouble reading the CD-R that a modern $20 DVD player plays without a problem.

thanks for the pointers about CDs left in the hot sun.  i've left my CDs unprotected in a hot car and never had any problems, but then i never leave them in direct sunlight .  they're either in the player or in a zippered case.

Both my DTL-100 and DTL-200 seem to play CD-R's better then some of the new music CD's that I have bought lately.  The new music CD's (some not all) will skip on the first couple of tracks.  I have had some older music CD's that won't play, I burn these and then the burnt CD plays perfectly.  It's weird seeing as both these CDP's were built before CD-R's were around.

Both my DTL-100 and DTL-200 seem to play CD-R's better then some of the new music CD's that I have bought lately.  The new music CD's (some not all) will skip on the first couple of tracks.  I have had some older music CD's that won't play' date=' I burn these and then the burnt CD plays perfectly.  It's weird seeing as both these CDP's were built before CD-R's were around.[/quote']

That's a good point point. I had the earlier model Denon  DCM-460 5 disc changers (BurrBrown DAC/24bit Alpha processor) in both systems prior to going to the DTL-200's and they had quite a problem reading alot of the CD-R's and wouldn't read the CD-RW's. The DTL-200's don't seem to have a problem reading either of them for me.

I moved away from Verbatum a couple years ago and switched to TDK. I catch them on sale at Costco for $19.99 for a 100 stack. Never got a coaster and I burn at 48X all the time. They play any where and anytime. No skips or freezes at all. I use TDK DVD R's too.

• 7 months later...

You can find CDR's on sale 100 for $19.99 at Bestbuy, Sam's Club and Costco. Sam's and Costco carry Sony's.

IIRC, the first computer I bought had a 200mb hard driv (worth about $400 at the time) and a whopping 4mb of RAM. I upgraded it to 8mb for $100 per mb.

It's the end of the world as we know it..........14.gif

-check 'overveiw' from my last post...if you can possibly manage the time

Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs are the best CD-Recordable discs available today. Their combination of recording quality, playback compatibility and printability make them the best value of any disc.

Taiyo Yuden blank CDs are unlike any other CD-R in their recording quality, playback and print quality, which is reason enough to choose Taiyo Yuden CDs over any other disc. Did you know Taiyo Yuden invented the CD-Recordable? Taiyo Yuden, one of Japan’s largest suppliers of electronic components, was approached by Sony & Philips to create the first recordable disc. Even today, Taiyo Yuden CDs are the media equipment manufacturers use to develop their recorder drives. Not only do they record your data or music, but the signal on the disc will be the closest to that of a CD-ROM than any other brand of CD-R disc.

Specifications

• Format: CD-R
  • Capacity: 700MB
  • Record Time: 80 Minutes
  • Write Speed: 52x
  • Surface Type: Silver

-next time your passin thru...do just that