Janis Joplin’s Electric Energy

dcl

No offense, but I always found here 'over the top' voice and mannerisms to be a bit of an act and/or too much of an expression of a near mental illness. 

That's not my cup of musical tea. If she couldn't stand the heat, perhaps she needed to leave the kitchen and get some help for her booze and drug problems.

As in "over the top" guitar playing, I've never seen the point of over the top physical performances. Phony as in reality looking for love from or to musicians is not real nor healthy. As said before, I love music but don't really give a rat's ass for musicians (any more than one would have for any artist be it actor, painter, whatever). Their gifts (which they are well rewarded for..) are the art that they can create and not really about themselves...IMHO! Janice made it way too much about herself and her oh so hard life...she perhaps needed to see some of the real hard life's that exist in the world with children who daily die from starvation  and NOKO citizens beaten and worked and starved to death. Apologies to Joplin fans; may she RIP! 

3 hours ago, elgrau said:

No offense, but I always found here 'over the top' voice and mannerisms to be a bit of an act and/or too much of an expression of a near mental illness. 

That's not my cup of musical tea. If she couldn't stand the heat, perhaps she needed to leave the kitchen and get some help for her booze and drug problems.

As in "over the top" guitar playing, I've never seen the point of over the top physical performances. Phony as in reality looking for love from or to musicians is not real nor healthy. As said before, I love music but don't really give a rat's ass for musicians (any more than one would have for any artist be it actor, painter, whatever). Their gifts (which they are well rewarded for..) are the art that they can create and not really about themselves...IMHO! Janice made it way too much about herself and her oh so hard life...she perhaps needed to see some of the real hard life's that exist in the world with children who daily die from starvation  and NOKO citizens beaten and worked and starved to death. Apologies to Joplin fans; may she RIP! 

She deserves her place in history.  Her and Jimmy Hendrix were pretty close ,and their music was well accepted back in the times, of Peace, war, love, and the drug culture.  I like her gravely voice, and a few of her songs.  No one IMO could out do her with "Bobby McGee".

Just for the record re above posts, I was not including nor implying that Hendrix was in the "over the top" guitar playing group. Perhaps Eddie VanHalen's "style" is more what I was referring to.. Jimmy was always smooth and totally in control and played soulfully and not just "uber fast" simply for the sake of fast... Whatever

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, elgrau said:

Just for the record re above posts, I was not including nor implying that Hendrix was in the "over the top" guitar playing group. Perhaps Eddie VanHalen's "style" is more what I was referring to.. Jimmy was always smooth and totally in control and played soulfully and not just "uber fast" simply for the sake of fast... Whatever

Alls good bro.  I just put a little history in there that Jimmy and Janice were close friends and played together sometimes.  Janice had a unique voice that was distinctively hers.  She had IMO about at least 4 great songs that set her apart from many in the era.