Finally found high res streaming system for 2 channel system

David H.

HI Guys,

Some time ago I had asked what and how was the best way for streaming high res music to my 2 channel system which consists of a 4000t,

2 -m500tmkll’s (Dennis miller) Onkyo 7030 ( Kevin tube buffer) and my new Polk lsim 707’s , and I love these new speaker’s. 

I found  the the Polk Omni P1 is the best system out there for streaming not only high res files from Tital,  you can stream your own music library, pandora, Spotify, etc.. As far as I have found, and have tried many different  system without any luck for streaming high res files. 

So far, for me , there is no comparison when using the Polk Omni P1 for streaming. 

If anyone has anything else, I would love to give it try. I purchased the Polk Omni P1 system on ebay for apx. $ 200.00, but they retail for $299.00

I’ll follow up with more spec’s and info if anyone is interested, just let me know.

David

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

6 hours ago, peck555 said:

I saw some for $65.00 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-Omni-P1-Wireless-Audio-Adapter-for-Streaming-Music-Dark-Gray/282904425013?hash=item41de6af235:g:44UAAOSw9-tay28O

By the way, I looked but can't seem to find any info on what the highest resolution the P1 can handle...

From the listing you linked to:

plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz

• Thank You 1

Polk Omni p1 for $65.00 is a great price for those, they can be as high as $299.00

firvtgsr price you can’t lose. I’ll see what I can come up with speed of high res files.

I don't think that a unit that can't stream PCM-24/352 (DXD) or DSD (64-128-256) to USB or better to an I2S LVDS  interface can be called "hi-res streamer" 
Better to look for a SoTm or a Raspberry+AudioGD I2S interface.

Edited by Casaletti

6 hours ago, Casaletti said:

I don't think that a unit that can't stream PCM-24/352 (DXD) or DSD (64-128-256) to USB or better to an I2S LVDS  interface can be called "hi-res streamer" 
Better to look for a SoTm or a Raspberry+AudioGD I2S interface.

I think that the industry considers anything over redbook 16/44 to be hi-res, the start usually being 24/96 pcm

• Thank You 1

The industry considers anything over 16/44 hi-res, they start talk of hires from 24/44 pcm. But the problem it's not only software ...
If you talk about a streamer device you must consider that only I2S interface transfer separately the Master clock, the word clock, the bit clock and the data to the DAC device.
If you think that USB, SPDIF or TosLink are sufficient to transfer all superior resolution data to your digital to analog converters you made a big mistake, because more resolution require more accuracy in timing to be correctly revealed in the analog domain. 

Edited by Casaletti

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on a update of the Omni P1, But I had surgery a few weeks ago and just getting back on my feet.

When asked about other units out there, I really couldn’t find anything out that offered what the Omni P1 at first said it was capable of doing. But after using it for some time now, it defineitlhy has it limits and doesn’t quit do everything that it states. For one,  It was said that it could play your music library , which I’ve found is not the case if your running iTunes. I spoke with Polk about this and was told that it can’t stream your music library from Apple iTunes . That was disappointing for me, since I do run Apple Mac for everything. On the positive side,  My main goal was to be able to stream High res music files , and the only source I’ve found so is from the 

music steaming source of “ Tidal “ , and I can say it works great for me. Tidal music library  is available for apx. $25.00  a month. , has an extremely large library I have found so far, anything I’ve looked with different Artist,  I’ve found and have been able to stream there high files for hours, as long internet service is running smoothly . I can’t say how “ High Res” these files in numbers are in comparison to what Caseletti was making reference to,  in no way can I compare with the knowledge that most of you all have on the Carver site, But for the sound I’m hearing with my system, “ Tital “ high res music is the best I’ve been able to find so far from a music source offering “ high res music files” , and with the Omni P1 . It would be great to hear of some more options if there out,  hopefully in my budget,  which I still havn’t set as of now , with either  a DAC music streaming source, or music high res source like Tital. I’m just enjoying the sound and experience of it all. As time goes on using the Omni P1, I’ll give updated status and If I do find another source I’ll give that a try also.

• Thank You 1

On 6/19/2018 at 5:22 AM, Casaletti said:

The industry considers anything over 16/44 hi-res, they start talk of hires from 24/44 pcm. But the problem it's not only software ...
If you talk about a streamer device you must consider that only I2S interface transfer separately the Master clock, the word clock, the bit clock and the data to the DAC device.
If you think that USB, SPDIF or TosLink are sufficient to transfer all superior resolution data to your digital to analog converters you made a big mistake, because more resolution require more accuracy in timing to be correctly revealed in the analog domain. 

LVDS and I2S are board level comm standards. Once you leave the board level domain, you have to use a transmission standard, like USB, SPDIF, TosLink, etc.

With all due respect, a high quality DAC is the the golden key for digital audio. Good DACs have superior error correction that virtually eliminates noise caused by jitter effects. Moreover, good DACs transfer the digital signal to the analog circuits with smooth accuracy using more expensive methods rather than the cheap ones (and there are many ways to do this). There is a lot to be said about how a DAC transcodes into analog - it's a HUGE step in the process, and vitally important. All this talk about transmission is kinda moot compared to how important the DAC chip and chipset is. It's a lot like comparing RCA cables over your stylus... (go cheap on your needle and nothing else will help it).

Also, don't wag your finger at Bluetooth audio technology. The AptX stuff is pretty damn awesome. Check out some actual measurements...

http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/how-good-is-bluetooth-audio-at-its-best

Don't you ever wonder why more measurements like this aren't available? Curious...

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 2

Good point Greg. I don't wonder. When people don't like what measurements have to say, they typically avoid stating them.

Kinda like wires and such. 12 AWG is fine for supplying 20 amps @ 120VAC to a table saw (2,400 watts, BTW) but somehow it isn't up to par for sending 1,000 watts to a speaker ??

People are funny.   :-)

Flame suit on !!!

:-) 

• Thank You 5
  • Haha 1

Great post about blue tooth tech , when I originally looked into it I was told  it wasn’t able to transfer high res files, but I see with your article you supplied about AptX, compression enable Bluetooth to that. When looking AptX product list that AptX is used in, which is quite large and varied, so  do you know of any products that could be used for accessing  and playing ones own  music library , through iTunes and Pc bases sources to play high res music from streaming sources that would n’t be that wouldn’t be to crazy expensive. It looked impressive what AptX can do, just curious. 

Thanks again for all your detailed post that enable me  and others with basic technical knowledge to understand.

This might be a good solution for me. I've been using Squeezeboxes but it is just not reliable and is unsupported. I noticed there is a "USB port for firmware updates and phone charging", but ideally I'd like to hook up a hard drive with all my audio files and eliminate the wireless issues I might be having. 

Somebody asked this question on Amazon:

"Question: What does the usb socket do on this device? can i hook up an HD loaded with music from my library directly to the system?
Answer: Yes, you can as long as the device is recognizable by the Android and Apple IOS software drivers. Just remember all your control is done thru your devices such tablets and smartphone. 
By Amazon Customer on April 25, 2017
Yes, that should be possible. 
By WORLD WIDE STEREO SELLER  on April 27, 2017"

What is the REAL answer? 

Also is the app good? Can I see album artwork, play random, search etc. Does it read all the tags on FLAC files?

Thanks.

59 minutes ago, david h said:

Great post about blue tooth tech , when I originally looked into it I was told  it wasn’t able to transfer high res files, but I see with your article you supplied about AptX, compression enable Bluetooth to that. When looking AptX product list that AptX is used in, which is quite large and varied, so  do you know of any products that could be used for accessing  and playing ones own  music library , through iTunes and Pc bases sources to play high res music from streaming sources that would n’t be that wouldn’t be to crazy expensive. It looked impressive what AptX can do, just curious. 

Thanks again for all your detailed post that enable me  and others with basic technical knowledge to understand.

You're welcome! At least, I think you were talking about me...

Check this out! https://www.fabathome.org/best-bluetooth-transmitter/

#2 on the list is so freaking cool. That little transmitter can plug directly into a stereo audio out (use adapters if needed, it comes with a 3.5mm stereo jack). It can RX or TX!!!! So all you have to do is connect it to your pre-amp headphone jack and slap on your bluetooth headphones and whala - wireless HD audio. Then again, maybe you wanna listen to YouTube on your Rack while you browse on your phone...set it to RX and you can transmit audio from your phone to a stereo input on your preamp!

$30.00!

40 minutes ago, WJStephens said:

This might be a good solution for me. I've been using Squeezeboxes but it is just not reliable and is unsupported. I noticed there is a "USB port for firmware updates and phone charging", but ideally I'd like to hook up a hard drive with all my audio files and eliminate the wireless issues I might be having. 

Somebody asked this question on Amazon:

"Question: What does the usb socket do on this device? can i hook up an HD loaded with music from my library directly to the system?
Answer: Yes, you can as long as the device is recognizable by the Android and Apple IOS software drivers. Just remember all your control is done thru your devices such tablets and smartphone. 
By Amazon Customer on April 25, 2017
Yes, that should be possible. 
By WORLD WIDE STEREO SELLER  on April 27, 2017"

What is the REAL answer? 

Also is the app good? Can I see album artwork, play random, search etc. Does it read all the tags on FLAC files?

Thanks.

What 'unit' are you talking about?

16 minutes ago, WJStephens said:

Maybe I missed something, but I'm talking about the  Polk Omni P1 and what the USB port can be used for...

Just making sure! I'm not 100% because I've never used one but it sounds to me that it is a standard USB that can communicate to USB devices. So if you have a USB external HDD that the Android/Apple OS can recognize, it should work.

11 minutes ago, Nahash5150 said:

Just making sure! I'm not 100% because I've never used one but it sounds to me that it is a standard USB that can communicate to USB devices. So if you have a USB external HDD that the Android/Apple OS can recognize, it should work.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, maybe I'll roll the dice and give it a try since I can seem to solve my Squeezebox problems (that's what she said).

4 minutes ago, WJStephens said:

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, maybe I'll roll the dice and give it a try since I can seem to solve my Squeezebox problems (that's what she said).

Take a look at the Sonos too!

WHICH Squeezebox @WJStephens ?

I'm running the Logitech Transporter, works fine for me.  A well known/respected C! member sold me this unit and he was telling me that the standard Squeezebox units are issue prone and are of reduced audio quality.  There are quality differences between streaming players!

Greg, 

Thanks again  for the great info, and I was speaking to you. Your information is alway right on, understandable for all,  and backed up with various options as above. it's amazing!!  Thanks..

This is what I've  Been looking for and at such an affordable price. I'm thinking of getting the #1 , or #2  if it has the distance  range like the definitely  Oasis long range blue tooth system. My music library is on one side of the house with my HT System, and my 2 channel system is on the other side.  Greg,   If I understood in the article of a recent post, it is best to look for a system that has the AptX technology, or capable to work with other AptX devices so as achieve the non lagging/ instant streaming of HD music, TV, Games etc.. I' m not sure if the #1 definitely Oasis has that, It's looks like the #2 does have AptX . Earlier I was speaking of the Polk Omni P1 , which does has RCA connections, Was that it  has been working great for me for streaming HD music from Tidal, and other streaming services like Pandora, Spotify, etc....  as long as you have a good internet connection. But, The biggest disappointment  the Polk Omni P1 is that it does Not stream my music library , which I run Mac OS system. I've also heard from another with a PC of having iTunes of streaming there music library .  It  does have it limits and having to connect your iPad, phone device to the Omni P1 each time does take some time to hook up.  By the looks of these bluetooth devices, it seem they could  be a much better fit  for me , and foremost  playing my music library in HD for me has alway been my main goal. I"ll definetly give one a try, just need to figure the best fit and hopefully there definitely.  

1 hour ago, david h said:

Greg, 

Thanks again  for the great info, and I was speaking to you. Your information is alway right on, understandable for all,  and backed up with various options as above. it's amazing!!  Thanks..

This is what I've  Been looking for and at such an affordable price. I'm thinking of getting the #1 , or #2  if it has the distance  range like the definitely  Oasis long range blue tooth system. My music library is on one side of the house with my HT System, and my 2 channel system is on the other side.  Greg,   If I understood in the article of a recent post, it is best to look for a system that has the AptX technology, or capable to work with other AptX devices so as achieve the non lagging/ instant streaming of HD music, TV, Games etc.. I' m not sure if the #1 definitely Oasis has that...

The #1 Oasis unit is definitely aptX - but it has dual mode options that won't provide aptX streaming...so, as long as you're using it for say, transmitting only, then you'll get aptX.

3 hours ago, UncleMeat said:

WHICH Squeezebox @WJStephens ?

I'm running the Logitech Transporter, works fine for me.  A well known/respected C! member sold me this unit and he was telling me that the standard Squeezebox units are issue prone and are of reduced audio quality.  There are quality differences between streaming players!

Yes the transporter is the HQ audiophile version. Nice. I started with the classic before Logitech took over and slowly destroyed everything. What a great company it was - call them and you actually get an engineer on the line to help you. Anyway, I got a second SB a Duet, both worked find but then I had troubles with the classic and got another duet via ebay. Now one of the duets is crapping out - sometime works sometimes not. The software on my Ipad and Iphone is also buggy and annoying, I don't bother with the duet remote as it is so inferior to the phone/pad interfaces. Maybe some of the issue is with my WiFi network, but I doubt it. My DVD player works fine streaming movies from the internet at the same location as the duet which is plugged into my main rig. It's quite frustrating.