Donald Fagen The Nightfly Mobile Fidelity UD1S 2-003

Sk1Bum

I opened one of my copies of this album tonight, and I've rarely been this pleased with an album. The synergy of the music content, the quality of the recording, the 2M Bronze cartridge, BillD C-1, M500t mkII, and the Martin Logans is extraordinary. I've heard things in this recording that I've never heard before, and it is dead silent between tracks. Tonight has been one of those moments of sheer audio bliss, and fortunately, that has been happening with increasing frequency. For that, I would like to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge of how to get the most audio bang for your buck. Salut' to all of you.

If anyone is on the fence regarding these albums, if you have the discretionary funds, I highly recommend them.  Even if opening this album halved its resale value, opening this album doubled it's value to me. 

The standard commercial copy that I have will be donated to the library, and the "regular" MOFI copy that I have will go to one of my daughters. 

1769814131_20180616_0138181.thumb.jpg.75b2ed9fab3060511e2d08c4f24b6acc.jpg

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 3

Thanks for the review Sk1Bu!

Truly a great album, musical and technically. 

An optimized copy must be sublime.

I can almost hear a battalion of Georges marching into the 'discretionary' account.(;)

Gotta get my TT done. Hot and humid this weekend, good days to work in the basement!

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

59 minutes ago, 4krow said:

That might be one of my all time favorites. There is precision and jazz in the same space.

I've heard several people, here and elsewhere, say the same thing. 

• Thank You 3

This is one of my all-time favorite DVD Audio discs I own. The 2ch mix is stellar. The bass on IGY is quite possibly the most accurate and most well recorded bass I have ever found. 

• Thank You 5

Thanks for the info Sk1Bum!

I love Donald Fagen and Steely Dan, one of my faves!  Just saw them in concert last week.  They were here with the Doobie Brothers.  Just awesome, missed Walt Becker this time though.

Turbo

Edited by Turbo
  • Thank You 3

5 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

If anyone is interested in getting a copy of this album, this is the best price I've seen in a while: eBay

Seller spelled Fagen wrong...

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...

There's an open copy of this album on ebay.  "only played once..." 

I have no idea how high this will go. Six days left, and it's at $45US.

That Fagan-Becker/Steely Dan sound has always been one of my favorites as well. It presents as interesting and intriguing. Playing it on a quality system is an extraordinary experience.

Going deeper into that lead track, here is a short piece I'd seen on I.G.Y. - and I don't think the author is the first to wonder if Fagan meant the lyrics to be futuristic, or if he was being very cynical. Thinking about the entirety of Fagans work... I think I know the answer to that. ?

https://sjef.nu/what-a-beautiful-world-this-will-be/

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

• 1 year later...

Incredible record. Saw Steely Dan  at the Hollywood Bowl about a year before Walter Beckers passing.  Pretty mesmerizing sound. The Hollywood Bowl Orchestra started off each song in an interesting way where you could almost guess what song it was going to be then SD would take over. Great show.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1