Daddyjt

Genuine Snake oil - only $299/1.5ml!!

Hmmmm, just thing about this wonderous tweek, and thinking of taking it to the next level.  If an ultra fine conductive powder work this well, what would happen if, instead, things were connected by using molten metal, directly, then letting it cool and solidify making a trule gapless bond?  Perhaps we need a catchy name for such a process ... I know, we can call it solder!

Now where did I put my green marker so I can go listen to a CD...?

• Haha 4

I hope everyone who recognizes this as snake oil uses a like thought process before his next "investment" in shares based upon "analysis" from anyone connected to Wall Street. Audio marketing can't even compare to the snakes on Wall St.

• Thank You 1

23 hours ago, RobertR said:

Dielectric grease is engineered to be non-conductive.   Non-equivalent  analogy.

There is no point to such arguments as this, except to remind people that not everybody agrees with all the hyped snake oil; some of us are from Missouri, and don't want to see such claims accepted as fact until there is some tangible proof, not just anticipation bias-based claims.

RR

I am one of those Missourians.......grin

• Thank You 3

Stickers

7 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Now where did I put my green marker so I can go listen to a CD...?

I also us an orange marker for my Blu-Ray discs.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Sk1Bum said:

I also us an orange marker for my Blu-Ray discs.

I hear the scented ones are best,  but too much of the lemon one can add a sour note, so beware.

• Haha 2

Let me throw in my two cents on this thread.

The idea of putting some graphene in a solvent on electronics seems like a bad idea to me.  After it dries, is it friable and when disturbed will it start shedding conductive particles that could short something out?  Putting this on circuitry involved with the AC mains sounds like a real safety hazard to me.  And how putting this on a fuse could change the sound in any way is a total mystery to me.

Expectation bias is strong in everyone, and not subject to conscious control.  I realize that for me, this could result that I won’t hear differences where it could be possible that someone else could.  So although I do blind types of tests sometimes, I also depend on good scientific research to guide me to what is important.

As far as interconnects go, I recommend that everyone take the cheapest POS one that they have, and do some form of blind test against their best interconnect in what they think is the most sensitive part of their system.  This is easy to do, although it must be blind, preferably double blind in a method that allows for quick changes.  I sometimes do this in what I call one and a half blind (as opposed to double blind).  My middle son has absolutely no interest in my stereo hobby, and no knowledge at all about the subject.  So although it takes some quid pro quo to get him to cooperate, I can teach him to change what I want and perform some simple AB blind evaluations.  I find that I can measure changes far beyond what I can hear.  And no, I’m not deaf, I can still hear to about 14 kHz before things start rolling off (not bad for my age I think).

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

3 hours ago, BrianD said:

The idea of putting some graphene in a solvent on electronics seems like a bad idea to me.  After it dries, is it friable and when disturbed will it start shedding conductive particles that could short something out?  Putting this on circuitry involved with the AC mains sounds like a real safety hazard to me.  And how putting this on a fuse could change the sound in any way is a total mystery to me.

Excellent point - one might jut as well dust the inside of your electronics with iron filings to improve conductivity.  

In case anyone wonders, it definitely will - very very briefly,, with much magic smoke making an appearance.

Thinking is often a very lost art...

6 hours ago, BrianD said:

... and the OP admits that similar issues occurred... 

The only problem I had was with the first batch and that had to do with shorting out a tube pin in the line stage. Use the "TC" very sparingly on tube pins, if at all. I only had problems with the line stage tube pins. The Amp, CD Player and Phono Stage has had no tube pin problems at all. 

We need room-temperature superconductors to avoid 'contact' issues - Room-Temp Superconductors Could Be Possible . The A'gon article was written on 25 Dec 2017, but the Superconductivity article is from 27 Sep 2016. Very surprising that A'goners have yet to start selling 'pastes' which exhibit such superconducting properties. ?

• Haha 2

Stickers

It's brilliant! Any supplies left?

For the record, fuse connections are a problem. However, poor connections/old fuses rob power more than anything. Replace fuses on 'new to you amps' that you buy (you should ALWAYS check them anyway) and just wipe the ends with De-Oxit.

Oh, and Bob loves De-Oxit. Given his own devices I'm sure he'd immersive dip all of your gear in the stuff. :--D

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

My favorite way to do fuses is to solder in a 'pigtail' type.  Not convenient to change, and they cost more, but no question about contact.  And in normal use I don't think I've blown more than a couple of fuses in almost 60 years.  Well, except when working on something that's already ailing - then I solder in a little fuseholder and use the everyday fuses, until the danger is past.

RR

• Thank You 1

Show us the independent lab double blind tests that show a statistically significant percent of test participants (audiophiles or audiophools..) picked the "magic paste" treated system as 'sounding better' than the identical untreated system (perhaps burn to a CD in random order pairs of songs that were played with ALL settings the same, 1st with the system untreated and then all the songs re-played on this same system after it was treated. Ask participants to ID the "treated" song of the pairs by ID'ing which one 'sounded better'). IF a statistically significant percent ID the song pair member from the treated system as 'sounding better', than you might have an argument (this percent will depend on the number of songs and participants using standard statistical criteria). Otherwise, STFU and stick this stuff where the sun don't shine, 'cause it's all in your head and strong desire to justify your "years of work" and get paid for all this (most likely) wasted effort! Reality....learn to love it! ?

Edited by elgrau
  • Thank You 2

"And that's the way it is, July 1st, 2018. A country deeply divided by those on the right who prefer contact, those on the left who prefer enhanced contact, and those sticking it in the middle where the sun don't shine."  Contact-me too

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 5