Migration complete - please resume normal use ×
Sign in to follow this  
Daddyjt

Clearing the air / Russ Kall merchandise.

56 minutes ago, Ar9Jim said:

Sorry for a poor choice of words. The word hack was not proper. It was meant as modification of another design. I'm truly sorry if that was perceived as having anything to do with quality.

No Greg. I do not know RussK although I offered him a place to show his faceplates for sale.

I also show the link to your site here at CS.

Also a link to CA site.

Also a link to Bobs site. 

The MKII and your loyalty to Rich is commendable. The topics like this one and the past fighting between CS,CA, now again RussK, is behavior that is not reflective of the man who's name you display.. When stoping by and reading post like this, It just bothers me.. Understood this is the MKII site and thats great, but consider the guy who's name you display, just a little.

Jim,  as I stated in the beginning of this thread, there is absolutely nothing personal said or implied towards anyone.  

when the subject of RK selling his items came up, it had a polarizing effect on many of the long standing members here.  This was being picked up by the newer members, and I felt it prudent and fair to “clear the air”, and let people know about the history, and why others may be reacting the way they were. 

Nothing stated about RK is a personal attack - it is simply a recounting of history and facts.  

• Thank You 4

EVERYTHING STATED IS A PERSONAL ATTACK.  THE ENTIRE THREAD IS A PERSONAL ATTACK.  With the way many of us have been treated here over the years, WHO CARES, WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO TRUST OR BELIEVE ANYMORE ANYWAY.

Wow. Disappointing. Greg did an outstanding job of explaining the how's and why's of the MKII process and somehow you come away with it being a personal attack ?

FWIW - Rich's design had the fulcrum bias circuitry right at the device / heatsink end of the cable. Russ Kall moved it to the board side. It was positioned at the heatsink end for a reason - and it wasn't for cosmetic reasons, it was for electrical reasons.

Rich drilled new mounting holes for the TIP devices because their leads were too short too allow a proper strain relief bend when soldering to the board. Russ Kall decided to just flex the board a bit and to have a much smaller contact patch of the TIP device legs to the solder pads. Again, Rich did it right, Russ Kall took the easy way out.

Russ Kall did not have a proper load bench set-up for full power testing of his completed MK2 upgrades. That is why the units with counterfeit transistors were shipped to customers as good units. If he had stress tested the amps like the rest of us do, the counterfeit devices would have blown up on his bench instead of at the customers' houses.

I have repaired other devices that were "serviced" by Russ Kall. The short story is a lack of attention to detail and the failure to test every aspect of the device is why they ended up on my bench. Russ Kall has electrical know-how and ability. The problem is he looks at the repairs / upgrades as a way to make money - which means time is of the essence for him. IMHO his sourcing the faceplates is something better suited to his methodology - it requires no testing on his part.

None of that is bashing or a personal attack. All of those points are facts that cannot be disputed.

How and why Greg, Mark, Dennis, Wayne or myself decide to repair Russ Kall modded amps is up to us. In the spirit of this site, we have been repairing them without charging the going MKII upgrade rate. It amazes me that anyone can take all of this info and try to spin it into an attack on Greg or anyone else. I have an idea for everyone who thinks this is an attack on anyone - please tell me exactly how many times YOU have offered to repair other people's work, for free, just because they log into a web forum (where there is no entry fee or price of admission, BTW) and participate as a member  ? We have all done it and several of us have even covered the shipping.

Unreal. Sometimes I wonder why Greg bothers with keeping this place going. But then Curtis or Rodney or Travis or Charlie or (insert name here ___________) posts about a great album, a nice C-1, a review, etc. and I am instantly reminded why Greg keeps this place alive - MOST of us have a love of all things audio, especially Carver gear. Kudos to everyone who reads and understands this as it was intended. For anyone who wants to take this and spin it into something it's not, I feel sorry for you. Perhaps you should hang your hat elsewhere ???

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

Unfortunately Brian, that's what you see happening. People choosing to hang their hat elsewhere and once again the active membership at this site is declining. 90% of the people here have heard the attacks on Russ before. They know exactly what the point of contention is. They know exactly how the text here have repaired his amplifiers. That's great. But, I always kind of grew up being taught that if you're going to volunteer to do something, don't bitch about doing it. No one here has been promoting Russ MK 2 modifications. This Thread was strictly an opportunity take shots at him for absolutely no reason. As you stated in your post, I don't think that these faceplates require much bench testing. The guy took a Financial Risk to provide something that he had been asked about. These are the only items that have been offered up here. And this is the entire reason why I never posted them for sale on here when I knew about them months ago. I only approached individuals to ask if they had any interest in particular face plates. I knew that if someone posted a for sale on here, or a link, that this thread is exactly what would ensue. 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

My post HAD NOTHING TO DO with RK.  It has EVERYTHING TO DO with forum leadership making personal attacks and saying it's not, when the TOU of this site specifically says DON'T DO IT.  If it were me starting this thread about anyone else here, I'd be thrown off the forum already.  Many people have left C!  In an earlier post WDC said he's gone.  WRF walked away, Jim walked away, Trav, Fill, ....  So if we don't agree 100% philosophically with people like you we're going to be run off?  I've experienced enough of that shit already, which is the major reason I rarely post here anymore also.

3 hours ago, Ar9Jim said:

No Greg. I do not know RussK although I offered him a place to show his faceplates for sale.

I also show the link to your site here at CS.

Also a link to CA site.

Also a link to Bobs site. 

The MKII and your loyalty to Rich is commendable. The topics like this one and the past fighting between CS,CA, now again RussK, is behavior that is not reflective of the man who's name you display.. When stoping by and reading post like this, It just bothers me.. Understood this is the MKII site and thats great, but consider the guy who's name you display, just a little.

All I'm doing is explaining things as they come.

I didn't mean to prejudge your relationship with him, just that it seemed odd you talked about his wife and hosted links to his products on your page and also claimed you didn't know him...it just seemed odd at face value is all.

Honestly Jim, this it bothers me more. I'm in the middle of it. I'm pre-judged simply because I took over the project, and therefore my character is directly associated to all of the toxicity in the past. And I know you know, that there are some people happy to keep the rumor mill going about my character. Anyway, as explained above, I've had personal experiences that dealt directly with RK's actions, and his flaming and toxicity in the past was fucking bad dude. Bad.

Can you really blame me or anyone for trying to keep the record straight?

If Russ wants to 'clear his name' he is free to contact me. Always has been. Honestly, nobody should ever try to advocate on his behalf. He's a grown man, and if he feels that his name is being unfairly slandered he needs to talk to me.

You and others need to understand that we are deeply concerned over trading/buying/selling integrity when it comes to this community. That's it in a sentence.

• Thank You 4

Stickers

1 hour ago, UncleMeat said:

EVERYTHING STATED IS A PERSONAL ATTACK.  THE ENTIRE THREAD IS A PERSONAL ATTACK.  With the way many of us have been treated here over the years, WHO CARES, WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO TRUST OR BELIEVE ANYMORE ANYWAY.

You are entitled to your opinion Russ, but please do not make personal attacks to attempt to make your point. You and Travis are so focused on defending russkall that you use the same tactics you claim to abhor.

You didn't join CS until several years AFTER the Rich/Russ shit-storm occured so you are getting all of your information 2nd hand. At the time I was a CS admin and was also dealing directly with russkall the technician. He helped me recap my M-1.5t's and built me an M-1.0t MK2 opt2 that I never had a problem with, but he also spent 16 months unsuccessfully troubleshooting an M-1.5t that wrf was able to repair in a matter of days. I heard the accusations from both sides and still have dozens of emails that are full of bullshit and vitriol. IT WAS BRUTAL, POLARIZING AND EXTREMELY EMBARRASSING! IMHO both men acted like children and blew everything way out of proportion, and neither were innocent of the accusations they made about the other.

Personally I'd like to put the entire affair to rest and move on but the very mention of the incident still brings out the worst in all of us. I don't know what the answer is but I'm pretty certain Bill Dibble would not approve of the way we are handling it.

• Thank You 2

1 hour ago, UncleMeat said:

My post HAD NOTHING TO DO with RK.  It has EVERYTHING TO DO with forum leadership making personal attacks and saying it's not, when the TOU of this site specifically says DON'T DO IT.  If it were me starting this thread about anyone else here, I'd be thrown off the forum already.  Many people have left C!  In an earlier post WDC said he's gone.  WRF walked away, Jim walked away, Trav, Fill, ....  So if we don't agree 100% philosophically with people like you we're going to be run off?  I've experienced enough of that shit already, which is the major reason I rarely post here anymore also.

That's funny because I personally admire and like all the above! Miss them too.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

I'd really hate to see this site "die" over this issue. Hopefully 'this too shall pass'. For those of us enjoying Carver amp and mkII amped systems that FAR exceed what we thought we'd ever enjoy (either out of ignorance or lack of the 10's of thousands of dollars that equivalent "modern" audio systems would cost us..), we'd very much miss this site (the 'other site' is cool, but the real Carver amp "brains" reside here, IMO, and has the collective knowledge to keep our "dream" systems alive in the future. If that makes me selfish, well so be it...I try and contribute what I can here from time to time and since joining years ago and having had many great discussions/debates with Rich who is probably the most patient and generous "audio genius" any of us has known, and everyone knows who the 'go to guys' here are along with Rich.

My only thoughts reading this thread was that I don't think non-repair folks actually appreciate what a generous thing it is for the tech's here to repair Russ's mk2 related failures for amp's that they did not do these mods on. I cannot imagine the effort (for much lazier and less caring me..) that would take  to get one motivated to undertake all that effort and expense without having the eventual reward of getting paid for their work or of realizing that "I screwed up, therefore I must fix this" when indeed, they did not screw up...some irresponsible cad did. Analogous to a guy getting tagged for child support when he did not father the child! Also why something called a 'mechanic's lien' exists: people who work hard to fix or repair something MUST be paid. It's nearly a sacred thing legally! Voluntarily doing hard work for free is a very noble thing is what I'm trying to point out to those here who want to think that the root of this issue is no big deal. It is!   

Edited by elgrau
  • Thank You 3

I can’t help myself:

All of these events happened before I joined this site.

It is unfortunate that many of the issues were not handled professionally nor maturely. 

A few of the people I respect the most on this site have taken the high road even though they were negatively impacted by what transpired. 

The face plates that RK offers give many of us the opportunity to have brand new looking vintage Carver gear. I purchased one of the black 1.0t faceplates and it satisfies my OCD and my OCCD. It is attached to a Hashy mkII (not MK2). 

If and and when I sell the amp I will disclose any ambiguities that may arise by the similar but different nomenclature. 

This type of cosmetic upgrade allows enthusiasts to purchase a sound but cosmetically challenged unit at a discount..... Send the amp to one of the techs here to be refreshed or modded..... perpetuating Bob’s work even further. 

I had some aluminum lens brackets custom manufactured for my M-500t’s. 

The limited production run really worked well!

My intent was to have a large supply to offer to other enthusiasts/owners. 

For a host of reasons this did not materialize. BUT.... I did obtain the SOLIDWORKS files over the weekend and am investigating alternative manufacturing possibilities. 

I will keep you posted on a separate thread. 

If RK provides a cosmetic improvement you desire, then buy one. 

If if you don’t want to transact with RK ... then don’t. 

Now, can we please allow this thread to drop off and move on?

• Thank You 6

8 hours ago, zumbini said:

You are entitled to your opinion Russ, but please do not make personal attacks to attempt to make your point. You and Travis are so focused on defending russkall that you use the same tactics you claim to abhor.

TELL ME EXACTLY WHERE I PERSONALLY ATTACKED ANYONE.  I WAS SIMPLY STATING MY OPINION.

I AM NOT, I REPEAT, I AM NOT DEFENDING RK.  I SAID IN THE START OF THIS THREAD, BASED UPON WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD, THAT THERE MAY BE EXTENUATING REASONS NOT PREVIOUSLY STATED TO GIVE SOME CONSIDERATION.  THAT'S IT. 

WHAT BOTHERS ME IS THAT THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS AND ALWAYS WAS A PERSONAL ATTACK LAUNCHED TO PREVENT A RETAILER FROM  SELLING A BASIC, NON-ELECTRONIC REPLACEMENT PART, COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO THE ISSUES THAT WERE DREDGED UP IN THIS THREAD.

IF I DID THAT TO ANYONE HERE I'D BE SANDBOXED, YET THE FORUM RULES ARE NOT BEING FOLLOWED BECAUSE A MOD POSTED THIS?

2 hours ago, UncleMeat said:

TELL ME EXACTLY WHERE I PERSONALLY ATTACKED ANYONE.  I WAS SIMPLY STATING MY OPINION.

I AM NOT, I REPEAT, I AM NOT DEFENDING RK.  I SAID IN THE START OF THIS THREAD, BASED UPON WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD, THAT THERE MAY BE EXTENUATING REASONS NOT PREVIOUSLY STATED TO GIVE SOME CONSIDERATION.  THAT'S IT. 

WHAT BOTHERS ME IS THAT THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS AND ALWAYS WAS A PERSONAL ATTACK LAUNCHED TO PREVENT A RETAILER FROM  SELLING A BASIC, NON-ELECTRONIC REPLACEMENT PART, COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO THE ISSUES THAT WERE DREDGED UP IN THIS THREAD.

IF I DID THAT TO ANYONE HERE I'D BE SANDBOXED, YET THE FORUM RULES ARE NOT BEING FOLLOWED BECAUSE A MOD POSTED THIS?

FYI: Typing in all caps is the internet equivalent of screaming at us which is rude to say the least.

1. You accused the OP of making a personal attack on a former member, and forum leadership of treating "many of us" poorly (could you be any more vague?) while intimating that we are directly resposible for the loss of many members. Then you attempt to justify your comments by saying they are just your opinions. How does any of that help clear up the issues or make the CS a better place?

2. Who told you what? I was here and in the middle of it and I don't know for certain why a simple disagreement led to a shit-storm. Reporting hearsay is counter-productive rumor mongering which only serves to misdirect and confuse those who know even less about the issues than you do.

3. I reread the original post several times and see nothing remotely akin to a "personal attack" or a break in forum rules, just a heads up about known mk2 quality issues and lack of support. The OP's only comment about the faceplates is actually positive "I am sure these are exactly as advertised, and I am sure they will function as intended".

• Thank You 3

4 hours ago, UncleMeat said:

All I can say is WOW - all this for simply telling the truth.  Why are you so against people being informed?  If I have said anything that is not true, then please point out my discrepancy, and I will be more than happy to correct it.

to my knowledge, NO ONE has EVER been sandboxed for telling the truth.  In fact, can you even name the last person that was sandboxed?  How many YEARS do you have to go back to do so?

• Thank You 2

What constitutes a personal attack can depend largely on one's personal point of view. This reminds me of several scenes in the Godfather trilogy, where they machine gun or garrotte somebody, and then always say “It's just business. Nothing personal.'' For the guy who gets whacked, however much he deserved it, it's very personal.

So, maybe the original post amounts to a personal attack, even if the intent was, as I'm sure, to inform and alert  members about a longstanding situation that not everybody here now knows about. But maybe a bit of personal attack was just what was called for in this situation. Nobody made the guy do shoddy work, buy cheap parts, try to profit off the innovation of others, not correct failures...

Decorum becomes excessive when it  suppresses historical reality.

RobertR

• Thank You 8

6 hours ago, UncleMeat said:

{Snip} WHAT BOTHERS ME IS THAT THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS AND ALWAYS WAS A PERSONAL ATTACK LAUNCHED TO PREVENT A RETAILER FROM  SELLING A BASIC, NON-ELECTRONIC REPLACEMENT PART, COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO THE ISSUES THAT WERE DREDGED UP IN THIS THREAD. {/Snip}

Actually, if you were to calm down and read the entire thread, you would see that YOU are the person that turned it into a "personal attack" against all of us who work for Greg. Everything was civil and light banter back and forth, discussing the legal / moral / ethical / electrical aspects of the whole MKII process. You were even participating in the discussion and it was civil. Through the natural course and progression of the conversation, unfavorable information about Russ Kall was exposed. That does not mean anyone attacked anyone. Facts are facts and they don't just go away.

This thread has turned into a shitshow.

Consider the show over.

• Thank You 6

Stickers