oldtexasdog

Worthless Information For Those Who Want To Know

My wife is away at a medical conference this week; one of the speakers Dr. Phillips (founder of the institute of Lifestyle medicine at Harvard).

"Half of you in this room will die from a lifestyle choice that YOU made" ~ Dr. Eddie Phillips of Harvard Medical School

• Thank You 1

Stickers

22 hours ago, RichP714 said:

"Half of you in this room will die from a lifestyle choice that YOU made" ~ Dr. Eddie Phillips of Harvard Medical School

Van Dyke Parks in a magazine interview: "it’s like Kinky Freidman once told me: You’ve got to find what you love and let it kill you. And I don’t think any of us should ever forget that."

Getting to choose your way out is a gift. Just make sure it's worth the price.  Sk1Bum's old biker philosophy 101.  :D 

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

7 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

I've never put a number to it, but the prevalence of smoking/vaping and a  host of other vices seem to prove this point

I think this also extends to seemingly innocuous things, like diet.  I read somewhere, years ago (and I'm making the numbers up because I don't recall) that if you start eating in your 20's like you will eat in your 50's, you'll live to your hundreds.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Mobile Phone Throwing

Mobile phone throwing is a sport in which participants throw mobile phones and are judged on distance or technique. Started in Finland in 2000, competitive phone throwing has since spread to several other countries, with contests being held as far away as the UK and the US. Many of the events promote the recycling of old phones. In most national events, winners gain an entry to the world championship. How far have top competitors hurled their mobile phones?

• Haha 2

Milton Bradley (1836)

After working as a draftsman, Bradley introduced the first lithograph press to Springfield, Massachusetts, in 1860. He printed and sold a new parlor game, "The Checkered Game of Life." It was so profitable that he formed Milton Bradley and Company in 1864 to print games and manuals. In 1878, he reorganized his business as the Milton Bradley Company, which long retained its position as a leading American manufacturer of games and toys. In 1869, his press published the first US book on what topic?

• Thank You 1

The Brain in a Vat

For millennia, philosophers have grappled with various versions of the "brain-in-a-vat" scenario. A thought experiment, it raises questions about the individual’s ability to know anything, since a brain suspended in a vat of life-sustaining liquid and connected to a computer that provides it with electrical impulses identical to those the brain normally receives would never be able to determine whether it is in a skull or a vat. What popular film trilogy is loosely based on this concept?

36 minutes ago, oldtexasdog said:

The Brain in a Vat

For millennia, philosophers have grappled with various versions of the "brain-in-a-vat" scenario. A thought experiment, it raises questions about the individual’s ability to know anything, since a brain suspended in a vat of life-sustaining liquid and connected to a computer that provides it with electrical impulses identical to those the brain normally receives would never be able to determine whether it is in a skull or a vat. What popular film trilogy is loosely based on this concept?

The Matrix?

Talk about commitment to your art!

Alessandro Moreschi (1858)

Moreschi was the late 19th century's most famous castrato—a male singer who undergoes castration before puberty and, as a result, retains a soprano or alto voice that becomes extraordinarily powerful as he develops the lung capacity and physical bulk of an adult. He was first soprano in the Sistine Chapel choir for 30 years and was the only castrato of the bel canto tradition to make solo sound recordings. What do modern music critics say about the singing featured in these recordings?