Actual physical related.....

halfbaked

Those with LP's won't see the problem. Those of the CD collecting I am asking.

I can't be the only one, how? where? Store box sets? I'm trying to be space efficient are stackable LP racks the only real choice. My bookshelves are full of books. I know imagine that.

As the space laid out if stackable is the best choice it would be along the wall behind the speaker. I was trying to keep both sides the same behind the SL-3's. Otherwise I believe its across the far end (guessing 24 feet or so).

So how far do some travel from music to the stereo? I know some of us don't bounce up like we use to. Of course most would want the music close to the equipment. I'm trying to figure what would work for me and maybe others are curious about storage ideas. Looking at LP's box sets obviously no issue. But CD's and CD box sets are indeed 2 different.

I think most would prefer having the music as close as possible even though their size one would not have them stored together. Of course there are huge size differences I think LP size is a good point to approximate with. Others may have better alternatives.

Hey ease of comparable storage you preserve A-Z for your collection is another plus for the vinyl.

Are you handy with woodwork?  I built the below for my old theater room.  The vertical pieces are drilled via a Kreg jig allowing full adjustability of the horizontal shelves. (Set up for DVDs in the photo, but it would be easy to adjust to CD. 

B01212AC-4D36-4066-AE9B-E9B0AF6A2472.png

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 4

Very nice the possibility of vertical display of boxes I had previously done years ago until you just jogged it. There are many sets that are far more DVD box side.

For me the non-standardized box sets and other packaging sure does not lend itself alphabetically or uniformity. That is a very nice wall set you made.

Very nice indeed I have to kick a friend to motivate him. One in the bedroom would be nice for video. Besides the living room. Nice clean and simple and open to easily read and use. That's the way storage should be.

When there are too many piles even after donating books. Besides some people would never understand why one would want to collect. Going high on the wall is so very smart as well. Excellent use of space. Obviously neither of us is short.

One general question. Is your music in one location or different places?

That does present a real problem, doesn't it?  I only have a relatively small number of box sets, but none are remotely the same size or format.  If most of yours are the love sized boxes, that will definitely be the place to look for ideas.  If not, then it really becomes a challenge.  I don't have any good suggestions - at least right now, but you didn't me realize that I haven't done anything adequate with my box sets and other non standard size CDs.

I do agree that you want them close at hand, and also at an easily accessible height.  I've realized one of my main CD cabines is partially behind a step, and while I "can" get to the CDs, I just don't.  Instead, I just opt for something convenient.  That needs to be corrected.  If they were in another room, I doubt I'd ever play them.

BTW, kudos to you for putting books on the bookshelves! 

8 hours ago, halfbaked said:

Very nice the possibility of vertical display of boxes I had previously done years ago until you just jogged it. There are many sets that are far more DVD box side.

For me the non-standardized box sets and other packaging sure does not lend itself alphabetically or uniformity. That is a very nice wall set you made.

Very nice indeed I have to kick a friend to motivate him. One in the bedroom would be nice for video. Besides the living room. Nice clean and simple and open to easily read and use. That's the way storage should be.

When there are too many piles even after donating books. Besides some people would never understand why one would want to collect. Going high on the wall is so very smart as well. Excellent use of space. Obviously neither of us is short.

One general question. Is your music in one location or different places?

The CDs were across from the DVDs, on the right (just out of frame).  They are all in boxes now, from the move a couple years ago, but all are ripped on a FLAC drive.  I had them alphabetized, with a tall shelf on the bottom where all the box sets went. 

The rack ace I built is very simple. Once I had all the vertical pieces built and drilled, I stacked them and cut a notch at the top and one towards the bottom, the size of a 1x2 (stacked so the notches were all identical and in the same place on each upright).  The I assembled each wall section on the floor, running a pair of 1x2 strips through the notches, and screwing it together. Then the whole section went on the wall, and then populated with shelves. 36” is about the longest I went on shelves (1/2” oak plywood with an oak mounding cap on the front edge) to avoid sagging. 

And yes, I’m 6’4”...:-)

• Thank You 2

DaddyJT it is obvious with you using the top shelves. We have that advantage. The low shelf would be the problem for me. I notice the right side. Not knowing those were for cd's. Wow you actually have space to have all in one location.

I never had a situation like that so a extra cookie for you. Yes I'm envious of that alone. When I was with vinyl I used one room and it was not enough.  Discs make it easier though only have a fraction of discs compared to LP's back in the day.

DaddyJT Are your cd racks the same size of the video or scaled down to cd size?

I like these digipacks/mini-LP there's probably other names depending with the label. Ugh freaking jewel boxes always breaking. I ordered one that came in and of course even though brand new by the time it was delivered the case was with multiple cracks.

Also for me those mini-albums really have that album feel. Jewel cases did not have that feeling. I suppose the different pieces of an album as oppose to the gatefold

Brian the box sets would fill a regular book shelf right now so really looking for a two or three shelf solution. I'm not counting those more like DVD case size. The big box sets are big so it takes far fewer to fill the shelf. Also each box is for a single album.

Most of mine are roughly 12" x 12" size. There is the ones of the book look and for me the binder side is also about 12". Having said that I'm with you with with the sets might be similar in size and 10" box set is included.

I should clarify by box sets I refer to the large limited editions usually of a single album. The small boxes having multiple albums of an artist are around cd size. Those I say DVD size are an approximation as those do vary in size.

Brian it is funny how inconvenient something could be even though like you a step in a certain way can offer space but making it difficult to reach over does make one not use that like the one in a good location.