Sign in to follow this  
AndrewJohn

C-500 and 4000t wanted matching faceplate color

(If I posted this in the wrong section, mods please move.  ultimately, it is about a WTB quest)

I have a C-500.  I can't tell if it is Champagne in color (could be my tired eyes, or could be that I've never laid eyes on another champagne unit).

My quest for a few years now has been to find a matching 4000t of similar faceplate color.  Although, lately, I'm wondering if I need to find a different color C-500?

The questions I have for those that might know if they exist:

1. Were all C-500 amps the same faceplate? or were there silvers and anthracites?  The ones I have seen on Ebay and Craigslist all seem to be champagne.

2. Is my C-500 a "champagne" or is it another variant (in my picture)?

3. Did Carver ever produce a 4000t with a champagne faceplate, or are they limited to silver and anthracite (if I have, or have I, identified them correctly)?

Two ways to go - match the 4000t to the C-500, or the other way around - but it would be good to know if I'm looking for something that doesn't exist.

I know that the C-4000 preamp came in champagne, but I'm looking for the 4000t.

Hoping someone might know.

4000t and C500 Stack.jpg

• Thank You 1

Stickers

A.J., I have a champagne C-4000 and from what I could tell from the picture, I would say the C-500 looks closest to it

so it could be a "champagne". I say "could", not "must" as I can't be absolutely sure absent an actual comparison. It possibly could be a bit darker variant

of champagne.

I don't know the answers to questions 1 & 3 but I know Mr. Z does.

• Thank You 1

I have yet to see a 4000t with anything other than the anthracite face and black knobs. The C-4000 on the other hand comes in all three variants. One might create a hybrid 4000t using C-4000 knobs and outer faceplate. Might be an expensive endeavor, though...

• Thank You 1

I have brochure for what you are looking for, so l believe there is one. I can send it to you if you collect the literature for your gear.......grin

• Thank You 1

Stickers

9 hours ago, loner_t said:

@zumbiniis the CarverPedia for such quests. This eBay Phase Linear 4000 may be worth consideration too.

OMG, that would push me over the edge..., to expand the OCCD to PL would probably get me divorced!  How could I stop?  

That is a nice unit, though.  I'm probably looking for a unicorn.

9 hours ago, niccolosito said:

A.J., I have a champagne C-4000 and from what I could tell from the picture, I would say the C-500 looks closest to it

so it could be a "champagne". I say "could", not "must" as I can't be absolutely sure absent an actual comparison. It possibly could be a bit darker variant

of champagne.

I don't know the answers to questions 1 & 3 but I know Mr. Z does.

Yes, I've found several of the C-4000 preamps in a similar champagne color.   But my affinity is toward the 4000t, and it's minor variation in function and design.

9 hours ago, kve777 said:

I have yet to see a 4000t with anything other than the anthracite face and black knobs. The C-4000 on the other hand comes in all three variants. One might create a hybrid 4000t using C-4000 knobs and outer faceplate. Might be an expensive endeavor, though...

Thanks Kevin.

I know it's hard to see the Carver brand and "4000t" model numbers in the picture I posted..., but feast your eyes on the two 4000t's I have (at the moment).  The top unit is the anthracite (I think - waiting for Z on the confirmation) and the bottom is wildly different as a "silver" (I think)  So, unless these are extremely different "anthracite" faceplates, I'm guessing that I may have a rare silver, and a more common anthracite.  When in front of them in person, they are most definitely different faceplates.  

When stacked with the c-500 amp, neither match.  And, the brand/labels text color is definitely different from each other (all three are different from each other).

8 hours ago, Dadvw said:

I have brochure for what you are looking for, so l believe there is one. I can send it to you if you collect the literature for your gear.......grin

Wow, thanks @Dadvw, that would be great.  I do have a ton of literature, but nothing (but the Owners Manual and the Service Manual) on the C-4000). 

Is your literature piece on the C-500 or the 4000t?

Just a color scan would be a nice to have.  But if you are looking to purge literature, I'll take it for my collection.

Stickers

2 hours ago, dennismiller55 said:

@kingman >  Wayne, when are you going to open the Carver Museum.  

Dennis....it's more than a hobby, it's a sickness!!!! I'm listening to a 1.0t I pulled out to get to the 300x2 Sunfire I took to Carverfest. I tell you it is the most perfect cosmetic amp I have I believe. It is NOS . Pity is, I don't remember where I got it from and know there is at least 1 more stuck back somewhere. LOL!  P.S.....missed you at CF this year....be there next year.

18 hours ago, kingman said:

A C-500 of a different color I acquired...

B6559C95-7C50-40D6-A2B6-011C567FD403.jpeg

Yes, that is closer to the 4000t I have.  I see it has rack slots under the handles, too.  Now that I know they made one that color, the pursuit continues.

10 hours ago, itchitch said:

Now that one looks (from these pics) to be even different yet again.  Like the one on the bottom of my original post pick, it has a slightly different text color.

FWIW, I think I may be mis-stating/mis-using the color name "silver"..., perhaps the two I have are actually both anthracite.  (noting that silver seems to imply silver knobs, too?  I dunno, just saw CompWaco's sale of a "silver C-1", and …, well, I'm obviously easily confused.

Stickers

Sign in to follow this